Blender 2.47

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MrkO

Blender 2.47

Post by MrkO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:50 am

Using blender-2.46-linux-glibc236-py24-i386, got blender-2.47-linux-glibc236-py24-i386 on the same computer and Blender 2.47 will not start. Question, is anything so different about 2.47 that I don't know about ?. In the past from 2.45 to 2.46 I don't remember having any problems.

I Ran blender-2.46-linux-glibc236-py24-x86_64 first, but hangs on add Bezier Curve.

Can someone help ?,
Thanks.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:42 am

You'll have to tell us more about your computer before we can even begin to help you.

While you're getting your OS and hardware specs, do try the static linux binaries from here: http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.47/

/Nathan

MrkO

Post by MrkO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:02 am

jesterKing wrote:You'll have to tell us more about your computer before we can even begin to help you.

While you're getting your OS and hardware specs, do try the static linux binaries from here: http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.47/

/Nathan

HP Pavilion zv6000.
AMD 64 Athlon 3800 2.4Ghz.
1G mem.
Ati 200mb video.
Suse 10.1 .

I did try the statics and no change. What is odd, I have run a few Blender versions on the comupter, not 2.47 though, (as is) without the same problem (no start) .
Thanks for the help.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:04 am

What is the output of blender if you start it in a console?

/Nathan

MrkO

Post by MrkO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 am

jesterKing wrote:What is the output of blender if you start it in a console?

/Nathan

If all went well ?, I got "Unable to open Blender window", says something about py libs not found or something to that ?. Seems odd even now, that 2.46 has no start problem , 2.47 has some change(s) I don't know about that may be the problem ?..
Thanks for the help.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:51 am

MrkO wrote:I got "Unable to open Blender window"
This is the one and only crucial message, you can ignore the python part. This means that an opengl window coulnd't be created.

Can you test running glxgears and glxinfo? At least with the first you should also be unable to start it. Probably any program using OpenGL refuses to load for you.

If you recently upgraded kernel or so, make sure you also reinstall your videocard driver.

/Nathan

MrkO

Post by MrkO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:51 am

jesterKing wrote:
MrkO wrote:I got "Unable to open Blender window"
This is the one and only crucial message, you can ignore the python part. This means that an opengl window coulnd't be created.

Can you test running glxgears and glxinfo? At least with the first you should also be unable to start it. Probably any program using OpenGL refuses to load for you.

If you recently upgraded kernel or so, make sure you also reinstall your videocard driver.

/Nathan

Ok, are you saying that now Blender is an openGL program ?, I'm talking about the Blender program itself, not the rendering in Blender. I have openGL and run/ display openGL without problems, its Blender 2.47 that when I try to run it, I get nothing. If I had openGL problems, I see I would have had that problem with using Blender 2.46, but it runs great !.
Thanks for your time and help, but I will just wait fot the next version.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Blender is a 100% OpenGL program, yes. Can you still run blender 2.46 on your current system?

And you are able to run glxgears too?

/Nathan

MrkO

Post by MrkO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:44 pm

jesterKing wrote:Blender is a 100% OpenGL program, yes. Can you still run blender 2.46 on your current system?

And you are able to run glxgears too?

/Nathan

A 100% OpenGL program ?, so would I be wrong to say then OpenGL is not the problem as I have mentioned at the top as OP, that I'm using blender-2.46-linux-glibc236-py24-i386, I'm using the i386 because the x86_64 hangs up on 'add Bezier Curve', and the i386 does not , also the i386 does not have the start-up problem 2.47 has. Recap, if the problem is an OpenGL one, why 2.46 works and 2.47 does not on the same computer both being 100% OpenGL programs ?.

Oh glxgears ?, you mean the three gears, red blue and green ?, that spin ?, yes, its an OpenGL screen saver, and it works well on my system, thanks. My choice to continue to
use 2.46 was not a brush off, it is because I'm working with Blender and don't have a lot of time to work with 2.47 I'm sorry to say.

kidb

Post by kidb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 pm

Are you trying to run blender as root from a console (xterm et. al.)?

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:56 pm

A 100% OpenGL program ?, so would I be wrong to say then OpenGL is not the problem as I have mentioned at the top as OP, that I'm using blender-2.46-linux-glibc236-py24-i386, I'm using the i386 because the x86_64 hangs up on 'add Bezier Curve', and the i386 does not , also the i386 does not have the start-up problem 2.47 has.
Blender has *always* been an OpenGL application.

This is starting to sound like the problem is 32 vs 64 bit apps. You cannot mix them; not without having 2 versions of each necessary library, including opengl libs.

MrkO

Post by MrkO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:01 pm

stiv wrote:
A 100% OpenGL program ?, so would I be wrong to say then OpenGL is not the problem as I have mentioned at the top as OP, that I'm using blender-2.46-linux-glibc236-py24-i386, I'm using the i386 because the x86_64 hangs up on 'add Bezier Curve', and the i386 does not , also the i386 does not have the start-up problem 2.47 has.
Blender has *always* been an OpenGL application.

This is starting to sound like the problem is 32 vs 64 bit apps. You cannot mix them; not without having 2 versions of each necessary library, including opengl libs.

Whoa !, hold on, no mix of Blenders!, and no BS 32 vs 64 bit apps. The blender-2.46-linux-glibc236-py24-x86_64 hangs up, when doing 'add Bezier Curve', and blender-2.46-linux-glibc236-py24-i386 does not ! ...its that simple. Now non-static & static of both Blenders in 2.47 versions 32 - 64, are the same ...Blender will not start.

Thats it folks, didn't come here for a fight just wanted to find someone that maybe knows whats wrong.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:32 am

MrkO wrote:Thats it folks, didn't come here for a fight just wanted to find someone that maybe knows whats wrong.
No one is picking a fight. We're just trying to figure out what's going on here. Don't take it as an offence.

To continue on what stivs started, are you running a 64bit version of SuSE? From the bits of interesting information I've managed to pick up in this thread, it is really related to one of driver settings, driver version, kernel version (32 or 64bit) and installed libraries or a combination of those.

Did you by any change do an upgrade of SuSE or the kernel between the 2.46 and 2.47 versions?

/Nathan

MrkO

Post by MrkO » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:50 am

jesterKing wrote:
MrkO wrote:Thats it folks, didn't come here for a fight just wanted to find someone that maybe knows whats wrong.
No one is picking a fight. We're just trying to figure out what's going on here. Don't take it as an offence.

To continue on what stivs started, are you running a 64bit version of SuSE? From the bits of interesting information I've managed to pick up in this thread, it is really related to one of driver settings, driver version, kernel version (32 or 64bit) and installed libraries or a combination of those.

Did you by any change do an upgrade of SuSE or the kernel between the 2.46 and 2.47 versions?

/Nathan

Nathan, no to the update(s); I must ask a question please, did so much of some/all of Blender change in 2.47 from 2.46 ?, because I read the info included about 2.47 and says its a bug fix, nothing new added, is there something that I could just know about this bug fix ?. Its not that I don't value your help Nathan, but if I had that information I may be able to work with it. This is not my computer, I know I have not mentioned that before now, I'm giving of my time to help someone here, I have taken off older Blenders - put on the newer on this very computer and I don't recall that Blender itself would not start, and that is the problem I would like to fix (if I can) so I can move on sometime soon. I know I will not be able to re-work this computer much if at all, the person that owns it has too much of other things (software etc) going on, on it, can't go break things if you know what I mean ?.
Just found it odd to even have Blender not start at all because of a bug fix version.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:01 am

You can always try downloading and untarring an older version from http://download.blender.org/release

Please try ie. 2.46, which was supposed to work still. If it does, then our options are getting fewer and fewer. I almost dare to bet that it won't start up, though.

As you already found out, the 2.47 release is a bugfix release is just that. There are no changes as to how GHOST works (the part of the software that creates the opengl context, window, and handles events from OS/HW).

/Nathan