Latest ATI drivers crash Blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MadMesh

Latest ATI drivers crash Blender

Post by MadMesh »

I installed the latest ATI drivers and Catalyst Controll center, now Blender is worse then ever. The latest ATI was supposed to fix the slow OpenGL I was led to believe. When I started blender after installing the drivers everything was fine and things actually were faster, then 10 minutes in full system crash. I tried again later and I was able to replicate the crash 3 times doing the following.

1. select empty
2. insert key (loc, rot, scale)
3. Go to IPO window, set IPO to be included into action
4. CRASH

The empty was reffered to by other objects with a "child of constraint". I couldnt reproduce this with a new scene by the way. But I can easily edit the same scene on my laptop without problems and the file isnt corrupt.

Any suggestions to fix this?

Blender version
2.46 Foundation release

Graphics Card
ATI Radeon XP1950 Pro

Operating System
Windows XP Pro 64

P.S.
I have a dual monitor setup

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

I can't redo with either Blender 2.46 or current SVN. I am running Vista Home Premium with an ATi Radeon HD 2600 and driver version 8.493.0.0 (driver date 12.5.2008).

What you can try is to disable any visual effects for the desktop. Also try to turn down or even off hardware acceleration (also turn off any cool features in CC like FSAA etc).

/Nathan

MadMesh

Post by MadMesh »

I never use any of the visual desktop stuff, I turn it off when ever I install windows.

I downgraded my driver, things seem to working properly now. Strange thing was that even with my downgraded driver I got the same problem until I copied the atioglxx.dll back into the Blender directory and everything worked again like it used to.

P.S.
I hate ATI

stiv

Post by stiv »

That would suggest that there is another driver .dll floating around on your system somewhere. Applications often install their own copies. I forget the exact rules an app uses for locating a .dll to load.

As for hating ATI, it does seem that they have problems with OpenGL support. They seem to focus more on the ever-shifting target of DirectX support.

It is worth pointing out that back in the day, after Blender went open source, they donated a handful of rather nice video cards.

MadMesh

Post by MadMesh »

I checked my console output in blender, and it says:

Code: Select all

GL_VERSION: 1.1. (1.1.0)
I that what you meant with the wrong DLL? Is there even a way to change that for blender?