Linux?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tsgfilmwerks

Linux?

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 am

May I inquire as to how well blender works on Ubuntu Linux? I am looking into installing it on my laptop, and I would like to know if its worth the time...

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:18 am

In general, Blender is pretty funcional on Linux. With lame video cards, you can always fall back on software OpenGL with Mesa.

I *think* Ubuntu installs the evil compiz window manager by default. Do NOT use it as it plays poorly with OpenGL apps. Other than that, you should be good. Actual Ubuntu users can probably provide more details.

drdespair

Post by drdespair » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:58 am

Linux is actualy the software of choice from my point of view for Blender. With the right graphics card, and optimization builds you can almost half the Windows render times.

The Big Buck Bunny project environment was Ubuntu if I remember correctly.

joeri

Re: Linux?

Post by joeri » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:47 am

tsgfilmwerks wrote:May I inquire as to how well blender works on Ubuntu Linux? I am looking into installing it on my laptop, and I would like to know if its worth the time...
All Blender Institute movies are made on Ubuntu Linux.

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:21 am

In terms of graphics cards, I've got a GMA X3100. Would that be appropriate?

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Update: It worked! Kind of!

I installed Linux on me MacBook (finally a decent system...), and blender runs so smoothly!

...and so transparently!

The 3d panel, as well as the background of every other panel, are transparent. Now, by itself, I find that pretty impressive. However, it can get kind of distracting seeing the windows beneath blender. Has this error been encountered before?

By the way, when I press "p" to start the game engine, blender closes. (Not like OSX freezing & disappearing, but like Ubuntu normal window-closing)

stiv

Post by stiv » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Transparent window backgrounds suggests someone is using a compositing window manager like compiz or such. Not recommended with Blender.

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:57 am

stiv wrote:Transparent window backgrounds suggests someone is using a compositing window manager like compiz or such. Not recommended with Blender.
I didn't understand any of that.

kidb

Post by kidb » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:16 am

tsgfilmwerks wrote:
stiv wrote:Transparent window backgrounds suggests someone is using a compositing window manager like compiz or such. Not recommended with Blender.
I didn't understand any of that.
Do not use compiz.
Turn compiz off.

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:03 pm

kidb wrote:Do not use compiz.
Turn compiz off.
tsgfilmerks wrote:How?
Never mind, a google search led me to an answer. Probably should have looked in more detail to one of the first posts...