Mac 10.5.5 Update Warning

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tsgfilmwerks

Mac 10.5.5 Update Warning

Post by tsgfilmwerks »

Well, Apple has managed to upgrade (screw up) their product even more. After installing OSX 10.5.5, I found that even the modified build from davidlandwehr crashes upon the slightest touch. The way blender crashes now is a new problem, so do not assume this is the same bug I've been talking about.

When blender crashes, the screen locks up, and sometimes renders completely random shapes all over the main screen. On one occasion, the system itself froze up to the point where I had to force a restart.

This is Apple's problem, not blender's. As an alternative, I would suggest MacBook users use some form of linux. It is free and can be installed via a bootcamp partition.

stiv

Post by stiv »

Well, that is unfortunate. It only took Apple one rev to get it right last time. Glad to hear the Linux thing is working out for you.

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks »

stiv wrote:Well, that is unfortunate. It only took Apple one rev to get it right last time. Glad to hear the Linux thing is working out for you.
Thanks. What does rev mean?

stiv

Post by stiv »

Rev == revision; a new version of their operating system.

joeri

Post by joeri »

stiv wrote:Rev == revision; a new version of their operating system.
lol... what does == mean? :P

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks »

Isn't that equality in some code formats, like C++?
joeri wrote:
stiv wrote:Rev == revision; a new version of their operating system.
lol... what does == mean? :P

zuyuz

Same problem here

Post by zuyuz »

I have the same problem. At first I thought it was related to my update to 2.47 (I did both at the same time), but I found that going back to 2.45 exacerbated the problem, resulting in a full system crash rather than just a blender crash. (Bringing my total number of crashes since upgrading to leopard to 2 in a year, the highest I've ever seen on a mac)

That integrated graphics card in macbooks has been more trouble than it's worth. The linux thing is an interesting thought... might be worth it if only to run blender. Thanks for a temporary solution.

*impatiently waits for next OSX update*

stiv

Post by stiv »

joeri wrote: lol... what does == mean? :P
Heh. In C-like programming languages, '=' is the assignment operator used to set a variable to some value.
The logical equals operator is '=='.
a = 1;
if( a == 1)...
It is a common programming error to use '=' when you really meant '=='.

"Dammit, Jim. I'm a programmer"
That integrated graphics card in macbooks has been more trouble than it's worth.
Based on their suitable applications, I suggest these be renamed to integrated email and web-browsing cards.

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks »

stiv wrote:
That integrated graphics card in macbooks has been more trouble than it's worth.
Based on their suitable applications, I suggest these be renamed to integrated email and web-browsing cards.
Don't forget iLife. Everyone wants that. By the way, I've got a screenshot of the bug I was talking about:

I'll be procuring this bug about 20 times a day, and sending bug reports of all of them to Apple.

zuyuz

Post by zuyuz »

stiv wrote: Based on their suitable applications, I suggest these be renamed to integrated email and web-browsing cards.

:D not quite that bad... I can manage hour long video and audio recordings while surfing the web and using Google Earth. They just need to stop messing with the drivers. So what if I couldn't play Wolfenstein ET in full screen. Blender is more important Dodgamnit!

joeri

Post by joeri »

stiv wrote:
joeri wrote: lol... what does == mean? :P
Heh. In C-like programming languages, '=' is the assignment operator used to set a variable to some value.
The logical equals operator is '=='.
a = 1;
if( a == 1)...
It is a common programming error to use '=' when you really meant '=='.

"Dammit, Jim. I'm a programmer"
I thought that the going language for this forum was English and not C.
My point was: Somebody who knows that == is equal also knows what rev is. But you are answering somebody who does not know what rev is...

"It is a common programming error to use '=' when you really meant '=='. "
Are you sure about this?

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks »

Well, that new error is happening on the 2.48 build and the official 2.47 version.

joeri

Re: Mac 10.5.5 Update Warning

Post by joeri »

tsgfilmwerks wrote:Well, Apple has managed to upgrade (screw up) their product even more. After installing OSX 10.5.5, I found that even the modified build from davidlandwehr crashes upon the slightest touch. The way blender crashes now is a new problem, so do not assume this is the same bug I've been talking about.

When blender crashes, the screen locks up, and sometimes renders completely random shapes all over the main screen. On one occasion, the system itself froze up to the point where I had to force a restart.

This is Apple's problem, not blender's. As an alternative, I would suggest MacBook users use some form of linux. It is free and can be installed via a bootcamp partition.

I have Version 10.5.5 on a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB Ram.
ATI Radeon X1600 OpenGL 2.0 ATI 1.5.30

Blender works like a charm...

So I'd suggest you check your install of your OSX and your OpenGL before scaring people in not updating to 10.5.5

tsgfilmwerks

Re: Mac 10.5.5 Update Warning

Post by tsgfilmwerks »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this bug, like the last one, is only on affordable Macs (not counting the iMac) with Leopard.

I think the source of the problem is Leopard's implementation of OpenGl on an Integrated Graphics card (which is totally worth double the cost of PCs). Or, more specifically, that's what I think I've been told. I really don't care anymore.

Think Different

caravaggio77

Post by caravaggio77 »

I ask here, although I have already posted my question, but I still got no reply: Do you have the problem with interchanged Y and Z in blender under osx "leopard"?

For details see: http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13782

Because the readers here seem all to use "leopard", I do hope to get some replies ;-)
I just want to know, if you also have this problem or not.