CAMERA MANIPULATION of MAYA and BLENDER

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

iamcreasy

CAMERA MANIPULATION of MAYA and BLENDER

Post by iamcreasy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:27 pm

Hello friends.I am a new BLENDER user.Basically i am a user of MAAY.But BLENDER has amazed me.It is just INCREDIBLE!!!.So i decided to learn it.But i don't want to lose maya either.

But the problem started when i initiated working on both parallely.Their camera manipulation are so different that things was getting messy when i was working on MAYA after spending some time with BLANDER and vice versa.I feel so disoriented with this CAMERA MANIPULATION.

NOW, if there is any way to change the camera manipulation of BLENDER just like MAYA.I know this sounds very technical.But i think with so many 3d modeling softwares in the market it will be a great advantage, to have a look at this GREAT PIECE of software with the help of this simple advantage.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO SOLVE THIS CAMERA MANIPULATION PROBLEM. :shock:

WOW, this message is larger then i thought. :D
Aspiring Indie Game Developer

Stukfruit

Post by Stukfruit » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:23 am

Sure, you can fix that :)

Drag the top divider a little to the middle of the screen, go to the "View & Controls" page and click on "Turntable".

Drag the divider up again, and press Ctrl+U to save it as default setting.

If you've used (and like) Silo, you might be interested in enabling "Around Selection" as well :)

iamcreasy

Post by iamcreasy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:40 pm

yeah that is ok.But i want the following to happen--

1. Rotating camera with Alt+mouse left button
2. Panning camera with Alt+mouse middle button
3. Zooming camera with the mouse wheel(also with alt + mouse right button)
4. Selecting object with mouse left button(which i can change on the preference menu)
5. Is there any way to modify the shortcuts of selecting, moving, rotating and scaling with Q, W,E and R(actually just like MAYA)

Program like MODO has the functionality to convert their camera manipulation like any other software, so why sth like BLENDER don't have it. :cry:

COULD ANYONE HELP PLZZZZZ :(

stiv

Post by stiv » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Blender's Camera view has a set of controls that allow you to dolly, pan, raise, tilt and rotate the camera while looking thru it. (Also useful for aiming lights!). For details, see the blender wiki doc.

If you are looking for a Maya-like interface, Maya is reputed to be quite Maya-like. Maya is currently available from Autodesk.

Stukfruit

Post by Stukfruit » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:27 pm

iamcreasy wrote:yeah that is ok.But i want the following to happen--

1. Rotating camera with Alt+mouse left button
2. Panning camera with Alt+mouse middle button
3. Zooming camera with the mouse wheel(also with alt + mouse right button)
4. Selecting object with mouse left button(which i can change on the preference menu)
5. Is there any way to modify the shortcuts of selecting, moving, rotating and scaling with Q, W,E and R(actually just like MAYA)

Program like MODO has the functionality to convert their camera manipulation like any other software, so why sth like BLENDER don't have it. :cry:

COULD ANYONE HELP PLZZZZZ :(
Well, for now, there's no way to change those shortcuts (trust me, there's a lot of people out there who would like to use Maya-style shortcuts).

As far as I know it should be possible to assign custom shortcuts when Blender 2.50 arrives, but it will take a while until they're done with that.

iamcreasy

Post by iamcreasy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:34 am

OK, i give up abt those shortcuts.But want the camera moving like MAYA as i mentioned earlier.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO MODIFY THE CAMERA MANIPULATION? :?

Stukfruit

Post by Stukfruit » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:48 am

Enabling turntable should make it move exactly like in Maya, I don't really understand what you want if that's not what you mean.

Can you can explain what you mean more precisely with "MODIFY THE CAMERA MANIPULATION"?

(do you perhaps mean the way you select objects?)

iamcreasy

Post by iamcreasy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:42 pm

In Blender rotating camera(after changing) is SHIFT + mouse middle button BUT i want Alt + mouse Left button

In Blender panning camera(after chaging) is Mouse middle button But i want Alt + mouse middle button

Thats all i want to change...is there any way to do them :?:

Stukfruit

Post by Stukfruit » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:31 pm

For that, you'll have to wait for 2.50 :)

(or modify the source code and recompile Blender)

iamcreasy

Post by iamcreasy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:57 pm

Any idea when 2.5 will be out?

OR could u plz inform how to modify the source code, or where in the forum could help me in this case.

It is really imp for me :)