Memory and Hardware config question

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

hyteck9

Memory and Hardware config question

Post by hyteck9 »

Greetings. I'm in the early stages of making a movie with "another" 3D application and have run into memory and performance issues. The other app. is 32-bit only... with DirectX only.

I'm thinking of switching 100% open source and OpenGL before I get too committed. Is anyone out there running a 64-bit Linux install (Ubuntu maybe?) with Blender installed? Is Blender a 64-bit app?

I guess what I'm really asking is...
Will a Linux/Blender combo take advantage of multiple CPU cores (8 - 16) and 12-24 GIGS of memory?
- Imagination = progress -

m.ardito

Re: Memory and Hardware config question

Post by m.ardito »

hyteck9 wrote:Greetings. I'm in the early stages of making a movie with "another" 3D application and have run into memory and performance [...] Is Blender a 64-bit app?

I guess what I'm really asking is...
Will a Linux/Blender combo take advantage of multiple CPU cores (8 - 16) and 12-24 GIGS of memory?
Hi! there are official 64bit linux versions, so i think you should give it a try... http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
plus, you can download the source code and compile it for your machine(s)

i'm not a 64bit user, but i think that basically the answer to your question is Yes, blender could be one answer.

As for cores... some features (eg: rendering) could benefit from multicores but maybe not others (eg: fluidsim), AFAIK, regardless of the 32/64 platform bits

;) Marco

hyteck9

Post by hyteck9 »

Thanks. I could use a few more simple answers...
I'm not well versed in Linux distributions... but I use UNIX at work often enough to know my way around in a general fassion.

Blender 64-bit requires Python 2.4 or Python 2.5
(what is Python?)

It also requires glibc 2.3.6
(which is the same regardless of Python version?)

Thanks.
- Imagination = progress -

joeri

Post by joeri »

... Performance is also dependant on the renderer ...

So getting a complete new system is going to tell you nothing about actual new rendertimes. And dont expect blender to be flawless when rendering big scenes.

You can find benchmarks here: http://www.eofw.org/bench/ ( Mixed O.S. and CPU )

Python. Python is an programming language.
Blender holds a small instruction set internal and can use the rest of the instructions external if you have installed python on your machine.
Mostly you dont need external python at all.
Only if you are going to write your own code that needs more functions then the internal python code you are going to need the full python install. Or if you are using import scripts that use this external python code.

Blender starts with a command window that prints the python version needed for the that blender.

Using import script can be tricky. There is no warranty these import your models correct ( most of the time it works just fine ).

glibc 2.3.6 sound like a graphics lib. Blender draws in OpenGL and you need libs that can draw fast to your 3d hardware accelerated graphics card.