Blender GUI is horrible

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

blendoodler

Post by blendoodler » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Blender's UI has improved a lot. I've started with older versions and, like any app I've started learning in the past, it's no easy task. I can model just about anything in Blender, well, it takes time when it comes to fairly complex objects, of course.

So you really need to put your mind to it if you want to go past this UI/workflow issues. Things are not obvious at first, but it will become clear once you've learned the necessary tools you needed.

What I like about this new Blender is it's customization possibilities. What is idiotic is when some genius makes unsolicited advise like all you need are short cut keys whenever you suggest some few UI improvements. Well, what's the point of this UI development, anyway. Start with a blank interface! Just use shortcuts!

raokat

Post by raokat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:16 am

blendoodler wrote:Blender's UI has improved a lot. I've started with older versions and, like any app I've started learning in the past, it's no easy task. I can model just about anything in Blender, well, it takes time when it comes to fairly complex objects, of course.

So you really need to put your mind to it if you want to go past this UI/workflow issues. Things are not obvious at first, but it will become clear once you've learned the necessary tools you needed.

What I like about this new Blender is it's customization possibilities. What is idiotic is when some genius makes unsolicited advise like all you need are short cut keys whenever you suggest some few UI improvements. Well, what's the point of this UI development, anyway. Start with a blank interface! Just use shortcuts!
Thank you for your meaningful advice.

muddyal

The Blender UI The Good the Bad and the UGLY.

Post by muddyal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:28 pm

I am a beginner and my problem is I began on 2.49.
If I was starting out I would much prefer the new UI.
But having said that I find the transition UGLY.
Stuff that worked in 2.49 no longer does in 2.56. Some commands have switched from ALT to SHIFT, spacebar has changed entirely (actually for the better) but users are not b"used" to SHIFT-A, W is no longer W etc. and there is little in the way information that I can find on some things. Rigging? forget it.
If it wasn't for the truly great Tutorials at http://gryllus.net I would be nowhere ...but they only go so far.
Many of the tutorials on line are just plain BAD ... words cannot express the depths of their "badness" .
Check out http://vimeo.com/18938645 for an example of the genre. What a godawful mess.

sundialservices

Post by sundialservices » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:10 am

I submit that, if you prowl around the Preferences windows in 2.5x, you will stumble-upon some very powerful UI-customization features that have (of course...) never before existed. All of the "keyboard shortcuts that we know and love from 2.4x" are there, waiting to be customized.

The UI design team took a dramatic and carefully-considered step ... probably the most dramatic leap that I have ever witnessed a design-team take in my 30 years of doing computer software, let alone for an open-source project. I do not disagree with their very-courageous decision. Not in the slightest. I think that it was entirely "the right thing to do for Blender." And, BTW, a breathtaking design that really ought to win an industry award somewhere. (No, I'm not just sayin' that...)

Just do it. Learn Blender all over again. You'll never go back. You'll never want to. They were right.

rvasten

Re: Blender GUI is horrible

Post by rvasten » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Tim5 wrote:The really truth: i've tested Blender 2007 and now 2009. What are the whole programmers doing the last few years?!

The User Interface is so terrible and not intuitive.

Wake up now and work on the right thing ... a great und easy GUI !
I am also new to Blender. The render engine is really good. But the interface of Blender is really terrible... and holding me back. If you start any other 3d application it is logical how to use it.

For me the problem is that blender is having one screen fitting it all, modeling scene etc. this makes the gui complicated and not well structured. Basically during modeling i don't need the scene items.... or lightning. I only have to deal with sculpting, texture materials etc. My advice would be to seperate the scene part from the modelling / sculpting part. And I don't know if I going to continue learing Blender.

An other problem for me is, I hate using keyboard shortcuts. I use a lot of different programs and for every program the keyboard shortcuts are different. In Blender I really miss my rmb menu... for now it cost me to much time to learn Blender... I think is has the best rendering and modeling tools and features, but it is to complicated to use, menus are hidden, the work space is getting smaller due to all the surrounding menus. Yes you can hide them but then they are not accessable again in one mouse click. basically the there is to much gui noise... What i mean is if i start animanting I dont need the sculping tools, If I start building my opbjects i don't need my animation menus and tools, this give gui noise. Menus are present but for that purpose you are working on, you don't need them.... I hope my feedback is used to make the interface better. And it is not flame intended...