Blender GUI is horrible

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Thu May 07, 2009 1:25 am

As i've already mentioned many times, there are only a few things that bug me, which are missing in the current interface:

- Customizable toolbars (going to be added)

- Customizable hotkeys (going to be added)

- "Exclusive" mode for lasso tool and border select operators (i hope it's added, they currently work only as "extend" mode)

- Dual-axis transform gizmo handles.

The rest varies between "ok", "better" and "tolerable". Anybody who dismisses the interface so quickly are probably not patient enough to actually try everything out.
The interface hasn't changed though. They might implement something different in 2.5 but unless it changes that huge real estate vampire that takes up the lower 1/3 of the screen then it will always be a lesser graphics program.
You're not really forced to stick to a horizontal buttons window you know... Mine is vertical.

The Third Person

A long term outlook, or why you should keep your day-job

Post by The Third Person » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Since it was opensourced I've been trying to use blender.
Every time I've been frustrated to the point of just not using it.

I now understand why. It's not all blender's fault, it's complicated...

3D apparently is really really really really...... really, complicated.

For those who think it's easy, you either have IQs of 130 and up
or you're suffering from a sever case of the curse of knowledge.

http://37signals.com/svn/posts/213-the- ... -knowledge

If you can eat sleep and breathe blender at a professional level.
You're one of two types of people:

1.) You are able to change the way you interact with
something so completely and quickly that you probably
get the compliment that you're a genius or a super fast learner.
You have to be of above average intelligence to use a 3D app today.
Therefore you have high IQ. You may be so intelligent that things
simply come easily or with minimal effort to you. Since this is your
natural state, you don't understand what the big deal is with all these
people who don't "get it". You may or may not be as committed as the type below, but your intelligence makes you spend less effort on tasks than most
people have to.

2.) You possess the ability to either ignore mental discomfort or pain
which means you are usually able to stick like superglue to a task and
see it through to the end. You may or may not be more intelligent than the
majority of the population, but you're built like a tank when it comes to willpower.

I mean you guys here are really really really really smart people or you're really smart and very very very very very very determined to finish what you
start.

This stuff is meticulous, I mean, really really really meticulous.
It's not easy at all, not in the least. I can bake a turkey in photoshop
faster than a real turkey would bake in an oven. However when I try
to venture into 3D, all bets are off.

I can get deeper into it with Max, and Cinema 4D but not by much.
In short, with the current 3D tools and the current content creation
pipelines.....

I'm a 3D moron.

What's funny is that I know real 3d,
I live in real 3d, I'm an expert in real 3d.

It's all this translation that messes me up, me and the other 5.8billion people out there.

I fought and tried and fought and tried and then, I just called it quits.
I'm perfectly happy to lay down blender and walk away.

No worries, we're just not meant to work together.

My advice to all the people who are urging the community to change
blender. You'll save yourself a LOT of pain and suffering if you just
walk away now. Obviously the blender UI exists because a certain type of brain/mind works well with it. If yours doesn't, now you know why, it wasn't built
with you in mind. It was built with other people in mind. It wasn't built to exclude you, but your type of brain/mind simply wasn't there when it was built.

And I certainly do not believe that there's some olympian honor
to be conferred to 3D artists as the sole possessors of "creativity".

I mean that very notion is just... In the words of Wolfgang Pauli:

"Not only is it not right, it's not even wrong!"

Does this mean you're not creative? NO.

Everyone is creative, it's just that some of us are more blind to this creativity than others... This also tends to come and go. Nobody is
consistently creative who doesn't push themselves into a place of pain.

I do not believe the blender community is more creative because they're
just like everyone else except that they've tortured and humbled themselves to the point of being able to see things the rest of us don't see.

That would be amazing but the answers from proficient blender users on forums over the years tend to not support such an enlightened community
hypothesis.

To the charge that only real creative people use blender, my answer is:
............[insert sound of crickets chirping]

To the charge that people were selfish and lazy about learning
the GUI, my answer is:

Ok, people are selfish and lazy, yes it's annoying, however, there
are balanced people out there. With 3D graphics, and the complexity it entails, what may come across as selfish and lazy is simply exhaustion from
shear frustration at an inability to survive in blender. But it's a mixed bag.

Does this mean you're not smart enough? NO

Why doesn't anybody help you?

My guess is this type of mind or "the old school blender community" happens less frequently than the rest and so the "rest of the 3D users" have been putting pressure on or "attacking" the community who has managed to survive in blender and they very understandably don't want anyone forcing them to re adapt to a new environment.

This is their home. We all (most of us anyway) have one, and this is theirs.
So please don't come into someone else's home and demand that they
change the drapes....

It all boils down to this.
If your mind is like my mind, welcome!

If your mind is not like my mind, leave us, and blender alone.

I wouldn't want someone knocking on my door asking me to change the drapes from dark blue to a shade of mauve either.

These people aren't bad or mean or [insert derogatory reference here].
They're just wired differently than the majority of the population.
Just face it you guys (most of you are guys), you're either really smart in terms of abstraction and computing or really tenacious and then super stubborn, or a little of both, but that's not a common configuration to be
walking down the street with.

That's great, as long as everyone understands this.

But all the acrimony and fighting is just not helping anybody.

If you still think you're just "normal people" I suggest you do a bit of reading on normal human intelligence and brush up on some sociology and psychology... You're not average folks...

To the average folks:

If you were clueless in blenders past, you'll probably be not much better now. If you were ok, but too frustrated in blenders past, then 2.5 may be the light at the end of your 3D tunnel.

otherwise.

Just give it up. Save a some money, people buy cars all the
time for what max or cinema 4d costs. It's not that hard to raise a few thousand dollars, plus you'll need money for the tech that's coming up soon.

If you're not old enough to work, even though it sounds disrespectful, I was
15 once and struggled with 3D apps considered primitive by today's standards. Work on the creative fundamentals and don't worry about the
application so much, those change all the time. Blender included.
By the time you learn a new creative fundamental skill, you'll be old enough to work and save up for that copy of 4D or Max, plus you'll have creative design chops which is way more valuable.

The rest of my post may appear whimsical...

In the next 10 years 3D interaction will change sooooo much, that people
will look back on these early years and laugh. What we have now may seem advanced (I'm referring to the state of the art of 3D, not blender in particular), but it's downright embryonic compared to what's headed our way in a decade's time.

Things like affordable 3D scanning and printing. Will completely change
many aspects of our global economy. (reduced shipping of parts that can just be assembled from object files). Yes there will be DRM and patent battles, yes giant corporations will cry foul and there will be drama.
Maybe it will take 20 years, the point is we'll be here to see it.

Modelling will be like nothing you've imagined. Rigging will become a thing of the past, full body motion recording suits will drop in price to the sub $1000 level. CPUs with over a dozen cores will be commonplace. Rendering will be real-time. It's already real-time, but it will look photo realistic.

You may think, what I'm saying are all pipe-dreams. It doesn't matter, the laws of physics still work whether you agree with them or not, and your brain is constantly trying to hide the really cool stuff from you.

Once we hit 32 cores per CPU on the workstation everything in that world will be very very different. You may scoff, but think about it for a moment, 32 cores running at 3Ghz is 96Ghz processing power...

Yes it will be affordable, yes Google will own so much processing power that your actions will be utterly predictable to advertisers. Most of them already are. I've already stopped keeping secrets.

How much time would any of you waste waiting for renders if you had a 32 CPU farm? Now imagine that power in one system at market prices and multi threaded to run tasks in parallel. 12 cores for rendering, 2 for each real-time interaction device, another 12 cores for the huge leaps in AI that will make all this possible.

So my advice is to find something to do that involves less pain.
If you're going to suffer anyway, learn how to code, that's what I decided
to do. The power a coder has is really incredible, if you're going to suffer through a learning experience, why not come out of it able to control the
program at the logical level? Plus you'll need some way to order computers around in the future and the principles of programming haven't changed much in decades, the practice changed, but a for loop is a for loop, and if statements are still if statements. Learn how to code instead, it'll help you in amazing ways.

Maybe learn how to draw comic books, or write the script and storyboard your short film ideas. Lay the creative groundwork, it's never wasted energy.

Technology will catch up to the speed of interacting in this world and mimic
it effectively.

I have a feeling blender or one of it's descendants will be around then.
Blender 2.5 is looking really good, but what's coming will need a new name...

I know all these predictions are just thoughts coming from one person.
Yet never once did I suggest blender be like "such and such" program.

You really want Blender to be amazing, then break out of ideas like, "hotkey manager" and start thinking "sensor network" and "character development AI"

I like what I see, I just need to learn python and write more code everyday.
Php is what I deal with in my line of work, it would be nice if Joomla and blender used the same scripting language.

As far as floating down to earth is concerned, I'm practical when it
comes to business. What I want from Blender in 2.5 is this:

An easy to use interface that won't get in my way if all I want to do is
load assets and render them at ridiculously high quality settings.

I want to assemble and render scenes that are already available on turbosquid, and yes I'll pay for them thank you very much.

Load the models and scenes into blender and crank up the render settings.
I intend to put together a virtual asset library of potential "looks" backdrops and ambient settings to use as a base to mine imagery from.

Since it's 3D, I can change angles and move the camera around in a
way that stock photography just can't touch. So my immediate interest in blender 2.5 is learning how to load, surface and render scenes at super high quality. I even have cinema 4D, but I really don't want to spend money on network licenses, I use linux all the time and can put my own farm together or perhaps start off with a render garden. :-)

BTW, I'v used Blender 2.5 and from what I see so far I'm impressed.
It seems the major stumbling blocks have been eliminated.
I can grasp the consistency way better now, I find myself exploring and trying out new things rather than simply fighting the environment tooth and nail just to navigate.

I understand that stability is still shaky due to the alpha development phase.
My biggest concern will be what the field of render engines are and particularly, how I would go about increasing the render speed as fast as possible.

I'm curious as to how the forthcoming AMD Magny Cours will work with blender. This is a 12 core chip folks...

http://blogs.amd.com/work/tag/magny-cours/

Still think I'm crazy? :shock: :) :D 8)
And then what?

spiritech

i agree

Post by spiritech » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:31 pm

tsgfilmwerks wrote:I like blender's GUI. I like how the buttons are small, since they save space. I like how 3 button support is emulated through the usage of the "command" key. I like how the GUI is written entirely with python and opengl so that it can be used on like 4 or 5 different systems and still look the same. I like how developers are focusing on important features to make the program more professional.

P.S. - There is no "blender 2007" or "blender 2009" (if there was, wouldn't there be a 2006. Blender uses a version numbering system.

P.S.S. - To answer your first question,
What are the whole programmers doing the last few years?!
, they "are" been wasting time with these silly releases. You're absolutely right. These volunteer developers should have spent more time on the GUI, and less time making a decent working program comparable to the "really" programs you've been using.

i like the blender GUI. have only been using for three months and am used to it already. i think changing the GUI would be a bad idea. if people prefer other programs, why then use blender at all. the little buttons work fine once you know what they are and what they do. its the GUI that makes blender so versatile and distinctive. though i suppose its what you start with and what u get used to. me, like i say i really like blenders GUI and would like it to stay that way....... :D
live with the world as it is today and tomorrow the world is yours

FreeMind

Post by FreeMind » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Yeah, third person.
Most of what you wrote is true.

Though i don't think you need to be super smart to use a 3D program.
Myself, I'm bad at learning in school (now university)... I'm usually lazy, I do things at the last minute etc... But when it comes to things i like: Guitar, 3D etc, i think i learn quite fast.

Blender 2.5 has amazed me. i LOVE the new gui, and i love the incomming and present new features.
After trying out 2.5, 2,49 feels like stone age.
Actually blender 2.5 will be my favorite 3D program i ever used, and if we count out Anim8or (which is free and has only a few features, but really comfortable to use) blender 2.5 becomes the most comfortable too.
I did try other 3D packs like 3Ds max, maya, softimage, but i found those really uncomfortable... From those three i liked softimage the most because of the highly integrated mental ray, and that everything was node based, but modeling in it was a disaster in comparison to blender...
So basically, rendering was the only better (and really, way way better) thing in softimage. But everything else is worse or the same, or something i can live without easily. Ain't it strange that a freeware program like blender has on-model drawing, sculpting, unwrapping, easy access to real-time shaders, multi windows, fully customizable interface, video editor etc. and this '3D monster' doesn't?

The Third Person

Re: i agree

Post by The Third Person » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:08 pm

i like the blender GUI. have only been using for three months and am used to it already. i think changing the GUI would be a bad idea. if people prefer other programs, why then use blender at all. the little buttons work fine once you know what they are and what they do. its the GUI that makes blender so versatile and distinctive. though i suppose its what you start with and what u get used to. me, like i say i really like blenders GUI and would like it to stay that way....... :D
That's cool!

Have you used the 2.5 alpha released yet?

What do you think of the new design and layout?

:D
And then what?

TheSnowman

Post by TheSnowman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:03 pm

I have recently (within the last 5 weeks) started to use Blender. I'm using the 2.49build and I really like this program. I've used 3ds and Maya in the past but I'm not a professional and once out of school the cost of a decent 3d app is just far too much to even consider...until I discovered Blender.

Anyone that is struggling with Blender I'd recommend picking up a book for beginners. I bought Blender for Dummies and after a couple hours things just started to make sense. I was familiar with 3d but I wanted something to give me some understanding of the program. As with any complex app sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and read some instructions :D

xieu90

Post by xieu90 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:48 pm

I think I am more used to the old blender (I have been using it for .... 2 months?)
the new one is way prettier, but then... where are those hidden button I managed to found out from the old blender? where are they now ?

anyway it is still in alpha, so I hope by the time it is final there will be a lot of nice clear new video tuts ^^
and I hope by that time I am still young to be able to relearn it quickly
I am getting old too fast now
my back hurts now, does any girl want to come and massage me now ?

Konstanty

Re: Blender GUI is horrible

Post by Konstanty » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Tim5 wrote:The really truth: i've tested Blender 2007 and now 2009. What are the whole programmers doing the last few years?!

The User Interface is so terrible and not intuitive.

Take a look at the $25 Carrarra. You need 5 Minutes to understand what the program is doing.

In Blender all Buttons und text are very small. And you have 3-4 same views und options, buttons ... and no preferences menu, no easy 3D view change, no 3 Button Mouse support at mac etc. etc. etc.
etc., etc., etc,

Up to Blender 2.49, I agreed with every word. But 2.5 is a whole new ballgame. The Blender folks really have come up with a great GUI at last, and it seems to be improving with every iteration. Blender 2.5 is a huge leap forward in both usability and functionality. Blender isn't hobby software for a fanatic fringe group any more, it's a professional-level 3D program that has to be taken seriously. As a longtime Maya user, I made the transition with Alpha 0, and I've been consistently amazed at just how much more user-friendly Blender has become.

Yeah, I agree, there are still some things that need improvement, but it's obvious that the Blender programmers are finally making ease of use as much of a priority as great function. If things keep going in this direction, a lot more Maya users -- especially in small studios -- are going to be drawn to Blender.

Good job, Blender Foundation. Keep up the good work.

spiritech

Re: i agree

Post by spiritech » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:41 am

The Third Person wrote:
That's cool!

Have you used the 2.5 alpha released yet?

What do you think of the new design and layout?

thank you

i havent used the 2.5 alpha release yet. i tend not to use stuff that isnt in the repositories because i am not to klever at downloading and running packages, at the moment. though i' am learning.

i couldnt agree more with joeri's post 2218 that blender is and was designed with creatives in mind.

---

i just had i quick shifty at the new 2.5 alpha release on youtube, and the tools menu feature looks good.

FreeMind

Post by FreeMind » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 am

Spritech.
I'd really suggest downloading Blender 2.5
Really easy to install:
Download, extract, use.

After playing in the new blender, you will never want to come back (unless you hate saving a lot?) the new GUI is awsom.

elitewolverine

Post by elitewolverine » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:07 am

i for one love the old gui...

when i start up 2.49 everything is simple and non intimidating...2 windows is all you see (3d view and the bottom bar)

you have the bottom bar that has 6 'options' to choose from, and from within those 6, you can do probably everything you need in terms of straight up modeling, if not everything...

But it all comes down to, its not intimidating by the least, by throwing all this info at you at once...

now when i open 2.5, im greated lets count them 6! windows...from 2 to 6..

my right side is a cluttered mess, the bottom dictates that i want to animate right from the get go (when most people new to modeling dont even know how to extrude much less animate key frames etc)..

then off to my left is info that is learned by a simple 10minute tutorial if not less...and is just a horrible waiste of space...

when i hit the 'n' key previously, this little semi transparent window would show up, nice and neat and not in the way...now on a 22in monitor when i hit the n key this huge ole tool bar pops up on the right 2-3inches worth of screen space...

all in all, while i like the graphical representation of all the new buttons and etc, the implimentation and utter waiste of screen space is horrendous...

I understand why they include this cluttered mess, because when your working on big projects sometimes, the numbers of windows count up, i for one have used up to 6 windows...but i didnt use 6 windows constently, and it was for a very short time...

I hope the best for 2.5, but i can tell you right now, my first order of business is to collaspe every freaking new window on there, and give me my bottom tool bar back..

as a side note i hate scrolling up and down, which is what the new side bars in 2.5 are making me do...grrrrr (i hate max and maya for this reason as well..i hate absolutely hate that right tool bar mess in those programs...)

and one last thing before i end my rant....bring back my spacebar hot key, why in the hell would you change the biggest keyboard piece which encompases 90% of object creation workflow at literally the stroke of a key which was very intuitive and replace it with this useless utterly useless popup that will be used maybe 5% of the time for content creation purposes?

out of everything the cluttered gui in 2.5, and my rants, the space bar change is one that makes absolutely no sense what so ever, who ever did that CHANGE IT BACK ;)

edit: oh yea i forgot, who in was responsible for changing my 'c' key to be circle select? vs it meaning 'center'. i get 'b' meaning bounding box, but to get a bounding circle i just had to hit b again...now i have to hit shift-c to center my view instead of just plain ole c....that is another grrr now CHANGE IT...hehe

spiritech

alpha 2.5

Post by spiritech » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:52 am

i downloaded and used blender 2.5. it does look ok and i like the recent file option at the begin.

after loading up. i tried to start blending. however i think its changed to much. i couldnt find my buttons panel, edit panel or the new tools option panel. when i click on object mode none of the usual options are there and the only edit option was under a new modifier panel??????? i think the complete revamp is way to much. why change something that works so well. and if there are things that other people require couldnt they be added in as optional panels instead of changing so much. i think the current panel options are fine and they keep everything you need in just a few places and just a click away, which saves time. lets not break it up, lets keep it compact and keep the original panels and buttons options.

from what was posted above about changing the default short cuts, i know it is possible to just simply change them back, why not leave them as the current defaults, which so many people are probably used to by now and have a optional new default or just let people change it themselves.

also the drop down menus under some buttons are extremely slow

on a good point. the tools panel i viewed on youtube looks good. if it is just that, a tools panel option.

in fact scrap that and consider the option below.

i know some people would probably like a more graphical interface. this in mind i think that an extra panel option with gimp style, graphical, like buttons for easy access to a number of tools, extrude, duplicate, rotate, set smooth, centre cursor, centre new., you know all the tools that have a single action and do not require separate settings. maybe have a subsection for each buttons option, texture, lighting, edit, object etc and have a settings button for each, which in turn would open that subsections options in a separate panel..and why not make those subsections customizable with a simple custom button.

i think all this would make it easier for beginners and give a more graphical approach option over all
------

i my self am happy with GUI and definitely do not want to see drop down menus appear every whether as the are very slow and require to much mouse work.

also where could i post this as test feed back.

one more thing. erase all really needs to be moved (ctrl x) it is way to close to undo
(ctrl z)

[/img]

FreeMind

Post by FreeMind » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 am

elitewolverine wrote:i for one love the old gui...

when i start up 2.49 everything is simple and non intimidating...2 windows is all you see (3d view and the bottom bar)

you have the bottom bar that has 6 'options' to choose from, and from within those 6, you can do probably everything you need in terms of straight up modeling, if not everything...

But it all comes down to, its not intimidating by the least, by throwing all this info at you at once...

now when i open 2.5, im greated lets count them 6! windows...from 2 to 6..

Fistly, blender 2.49 starts with 3 windows, not two.
And Blender 2.5 starts with 5 windows, not 6.

elitewolverine wrote:then off to my left is info that is learned by a simple 10minute tutorial if not less...and is just a horrible waiste of space...
The tool shelf is a part of 3D window which you can easyly turn off by pressing "T".

The tool shelf thingy makes sence, you can put any action there, and it gets reachable by a single mouse click. By default the most common tools are putten there, so a begginer can instantly see what are the basic things he can do. You may think it's to big, in comparison to previous blender, but i prefer all actions to be in one place than having several small windows flying arround my 3D screen in the previous blender. Besides, it's more tablet friendly now.
my right side is a cluttered mess, the bottom dictates that i want to animate right from the get go (when most people new to modeling dont even know how to extrude much less animate key frames etc)..
The buttons (now "Properties")is actually cleaner, more organised and makes more sence in blender 2.5 then it ever did. It's way easyer to find what you need in there. In blender 2.49 a lot of buttons were in unexpected places and that made it hard for a begginer.

Though i don't know if there's a default hotkey functionality to switch throught the propertie tabs... i hope that's getting brought back.

The outliner is really in place, now it's easyer to select objects :) Some people prefer having it all the time.
The timeline is there, just because some people DO want to animate/Simulate from the get go. The timeline is not taking that much space to give a damn about it...
You can turn off "Timeline" and "Outliner" and save the layout as your default if they are bugging you.

elitewolverine wrote:all in all, while i like the graphical representation of all the new buttons and etc, the implimentation and utter waiste of screen space is horrendous...
I wouldn't call it a waste... more like "Easyer to see and to click".
elitewolverine wrote:I understand why they include this cluttered mess, because when your working on big projects sometimes, the numbers of windows count up, i for one have used up to 6 windows...but i didnt use 6 windows constently, and it was for a very short time...
You don't have to work on 6 windows, turn them off. Myself, i prefer having all these buttons on my screen. They are not bugging me, because they are not messy (as it was in 2.49).

elitewolverine wrote:I hope the best for 2.5, but i can tell you right now, my first order of business is to collaspe every freaking new window on there, and give me my bottom tool bar back..

as a side note i hate scrolling up and down, which is what the new side bars in 2.5 are making me do...grrrrr (i hate max and maya for this reason as well..i hate absolutely hate that right tool bar mess in those programs...)
I agree about the scroll bar. I prefer mouse wheeling.
And yeah, even though i like it at the side, not bottom, I agree that the properties window isn't working good enough on the bottom.
Everything looks to wide and seperated when it's on the bottom, and the rotated text is also unpleasant.

elitewolverine wrote:and one last thing before i end my rant....bring back my spacebar
Totally agree.

And about the graphical buttons:
I wouldn't like it at first. I like that i can identify the button by text. But i guess i'd get used to it quickly, and it would save space.

Wol

Blender GUI

Post by Wol » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:06 am

Well i'm new here,
I've been TRYING to use Blender for about a month now; and basically got
nowhere.

I have to say that in my opinion Blenders GUI is the worst GUI in the
history of history, it's like using Windows!

Now I cut my teeth using Imagine on the Amiga platform and got quite good,
the interface of Imagine is extremely fast an simple (just about 1 click of your
mouse for everything.

Why is vertex pushing so hard with Blender ? The horrible sticky click for select
then click for finish but stay selected is awful , it makes slow slow work, introducing 95% errors then 95% errors trying to fix the previous errors.
It's just click and hold (move your stuff ) then release in Imagine.

Why do you have to navigate through endless different toolboxes/windows
when trying to use textures? (why is it not ALL in the same toolbox). :shock:

Now I know Blender is a very powerful piece of software; I've seen the results, but; man it's HARD HARD work just to do simple stuff is a nightmare.

Wol.

DanielWray

Post by DanielWray » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 pm

Jesus Christ, the amount of ignorance in this thread is astounding.

Look, The reason why EVERY tool isn't ONE click away is because the amount of icons and buttons displayed in one single screen would be completely unworkable.

When you get past the band-wagon bashing and silly 'I want it to work like this!' attitude then you will find why it's layed out in the fashion that it is.

Blender is streamlined and this allows an artist or developer to work fast, very fast. At the last studio I worked at I was x2 to x3 times faster than the other artists there who were working in Max, why is this?

Well perhaps I knew the software better, after all I didn't just complain and whine, I actually sat down for a while, looked trough documentation and then used my brain to figure out what I wanted to do and then how the software work flow would allow me to do that.

It's not rocket science, but you do have to put some effort into it, like any other feature-rich package out there.

/Rant.

P.s. 2.5 is fully customizable, so if you want a one click magic application and then you can make it like that, or you can look at the program, instead of ranting and see that it has a search function (SpaceBar) or in the toolbar (T in 3d view) that allows to access any and all of the features in blender from one menu.