Blender GUI is horrible

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theshrike

Re: Kwit yer bitchin'...

Post by theshrike » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:28 pm

regarding the points made elsewhere .. I very much doubt that programmers lacking UI design skills is at all the problem. Programmers are logical people and can figure things out.

The issue is time taken to make changes, and figuring out what changes have the smallest chance of breaking something else.

Its true blenders UI isn't as good as others, there are many cases where it takes more logical steps or there are too many options presented that could be reduced.. the issue is time to fix it versus time to add other features... I suspect they're on the right track adding essential functionality and trying to ensure it can be customized

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Blender's GUI was great. Stop complaining and use a different program.

theshrike

Post by theshrike » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:28 am

tsgfilmwerks wrote:Blender's GUI was great. Stop complaining and use a different program.
i'm not complaining.

I just think it is false to claim it's UI is great. ( Its certainly not as bad as most people say though .. & (2.5 does look like a great overhaul though, credit to the people doing it)

You could quantitatively identify why, by doing a focus group study (show some random people who haven't seen any 3d package before and see how long it takes to master..).. counting the number of mental or keyboard/mouse steps to perform certain tasks, and use theories like 'fitts law' on how much time an average person takes to find something onscreen.

But, what blender IS: great *value* considering its free, and it's worth persevering with to support the whole idea of open-source.

e.g. imagine if all the people who Pirate commercial applications used open-source instead. there would be more users, and more contributors, & the world would be a better place.

if i get round to it I am interested in customizing it myself. I want a modeller on linux, and there are plenty of features I really miss from other programs which shouldn't be too 'invasive' to add.

andrel

Post by andrel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:55 am

tsgfilmwerks wrote:Blender's GUI was great. Stop complaining and use a different program.
I agree with "tsgfilmwerks". Dont waste a time go and use other prog

Konstanty

Post by Konstanty » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:47 pm

It seems that around here, "shut up and GTFO" is the only acceptable response to criticism of the 2.49 Blender GUI.

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Logical too.
Konstanty wrote:It seems that around here, "shut up and GTFO" is the only acceptable response to criticism of the 2.49 Blender GUI.

majorian

Post by majorian » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:24 am

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:18 am

I don't think he's seen this thread since he started.
majorian wrote:Hi Tim5

You could start here.

http://blenderunderground.com/2007/07/1 ... completed/

Communist Cake

Post by Communist Cake » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:47 pm

To be quite honest, I don't like the new UI. It's not the UI that I learned to use. The old UI, in my opinion, had much better work flow. In the 2.5 UI, a lot of things were moved around for no apparent reason. I don't think that the modifiers need to be grouped on their own. I don't think there needs to be a tools shelf, it should be part of the rest of the menu, like in the old UI.

Another problem I have is that rather than using left click to move stuff around I have to use right click. Also, when making a loop cut, in the old version if you pressed middle mouse wheel button, it automatically centered the cut, which was very useful. I, also, cannot figure out how to get rid of the frame bar at the very bottom and the object window, as most of the time, I don't need any of them.

The thing I liked with the old UI is that everything was right there for me to use, I didn't need to go anywhere, but on the new UI, everything is spread apart, making search though ever nook and krany to find what I need. I also, cannot figure out how to merge windows, as on hte old UI, I just clocked on the border and told it to merge, it was just that easy.

Just to summarize everything above, the new UI/hotkeys completely destroyed the workflow that I had. I could make models quickly and efficiently on the old UI, but now, I actually have to search through all of it, rather than have everything in one place for me to use.

Also, as one final note, I think the biggest mistake blender made was touching the hotkeys. They should have left the hotkeys alone.

AntiWin

Post by AntiWin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:38 pm

I agree with you. I don't like the new UI, too. I'm going to use 2.49 until a better UI is created.
I would not even think of installing Windows on my computer!

eortega

I don't know about you....

Post by eortega » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:21 am

Maybe because I've been using blender for so long that I'm so used to it but I have no problems!

I think I'm just so used to the darn thing that any other program is out of the ordinary and out of my comfort zone lol

Tim5

Post by Tim5 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:25 pm

tsgfilmwerks wrote:I don't think he's seen this thread since he started.
majorian wrote:Hi Tim5

You could start here.

http://blenderunderground.com/2007/07/1 ... completed/
I'm always there from time to time (because blender is free and a powerful 3D software, but the GUI "was" very lame).

1 1/2 years later... blender takes a few steps forward with the new 2.5 beta versions. Thats good. I've tested the first beta of 2.5 and it looks much better as early versions. So, great job!

In a few weeks I will go deeper with the python scripting to form a optimized GUI, then I will see how flexible blender is.

So, after years of using 3D Max for Music Video's, I hope blender can take the place of 3D Max.

My wishes for the next blender versions:

- Easy Music sync to motion objects
- Easy 3D Motion tracking
- Esay special effects handling (flames, glow, explosion, ...)
- Texture templates (glass, mirror, wood, ... )
- Network remote functions (to use all blender functions over a remote connection: login, send commands)

hint: the user have to reach the target with a few clicks, not with a big "list" of endless clicks :)
(templates can help)

regards

sfg

Post by sfg » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:35 pm

joeri wrote:Cinema ( if you want to render on a mac render farm, lol )
What now? That doesn't make any kind of sense.
As I'm been accused for trolling by some of the smallest people I know I will not respond to any quotations of this post. If its unclear what I mean then just read it again and place the emphases on other words.
:lol:
Ah I see... it's one of those "please don't tell me I don't make sense and talk bullshit or otherwise criticize me, because I won't reply anyway so you're wasting your time really please don't criticize me!"

Yeah, continue lying yourself that the bad aspects of Blender's UI (although I admit that since it changed there aren't many*) are "creative" and not simply bad.

*For example it's still retarded how you can't have just one header (top or bottom) that spans the entire length of the viewports instead you are forced to have one header for each viewport. It's bloody retarded.

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:17 pm

sfg wrote:
joeri wrote:Cinema ( if you want to render on a mac render farm, lol )
What now? That doesn't make any kind of sense.
As I'm been accused for trolling by some of the smallest people I know I will not respond to any quotations of this post. If its unclear what I mean then just read it again and place the emphases on other words.
:lol:
Ah I see... it's one of those "please don't tell me I don't make sense and talk bullshit or otherwise criticize me, because I won't reply anyway so you're wasting your time really please don't criticize me!"

Yeah, continue lying yourself that the bad aspects of Blender's UI (although I admit that since it changed there aren't many*) are "creative" and not simply bad.

*For example it's still retarded how you can't have just one header (top or bottom) that spans the entire length of the viewports instead you are forced to have one header for each viewport. It's bloody retarded.
I'll battle you anytime with your fav app and I'll kick your ass.

And yes you can crit all you want. I've been on forums for over 20 years now to know the dynamics of posting a bit. I even made blender forum 1.0, so I guess I also know a bit about blender forum visitors.

" that spans the entire length of the viewports instead you are forced to have one header for each viewport. It's bloody retarded. "
Its so bloody retarded that even maya2011 has now implemented it.

Go find a job.

sundialservices

Post by sundialservices » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 am

Designing the GUI for any 3D graphics program is a tremendous challenge, made "ever so much more so" by the tremendous changes that have occurred since Blender began.

The redesign of the UI in 2.5x was ... total. And, even though a seasoned user of 2.4 is obliged to, well, "re-learn everything," I have found the time to be very well spent. The 2.4 paradigm was at an impossible dead-end, unable to go anywhere with any shred of consistency at all. What the design team sought to do in 2.5 was dramatic ... breathtaking, to a UI-designer like me. And, "by gawd, they did it."

But also: "this is a 3D graphics program ... deal with it." The complexity of the task which Blender sets out to enable you to do is immense. A user-interface for such a program will not and cannot be, so to speak, "absorbed in a single evening."