Blender Invisible with Weird Menu (MAC OS)

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Jonatello

Blender Invisible with Weird Menu (MAC OS)

Post by Jonatello »

Hi folks, I apologize if this is the wrong place (I did read the anchored post above), but at neither this or that forum (blenderartists) did I find an area that seemed meant for tech support, and the link here: http://www.blender.org/education-help/support-forums/ actually recommends this forum for tech support. So here I am.

I am *Brand New* to Blender (it looked great so I wanted to give it a try), but when I DL the intel Mac version (for my intel Macbook Pro) and unzip it, I'm given a folder with 2 app files: Blender and Blenderplayer.

A: Blender.app
- When I click on Blender app, the icon shows up on my dock, there's absolutely nothing in the main area of the screen, and on my top menu bar, i see "Blender" and "Window". When i click on "Blender" in the top menu bar, the options are "Services" "Hide" Show" "Quit". When I hover over "Services", I'm given a long list of options that have little or nothing to do with this program, such as "Add to My Notes" "Chinese Text Converter" "Delete App with CleanApp" "Disk Utility" "Finder" "FontBook" "Grab", etc all the way down to things like "Opera" and "Skype". When I click on "Window" the options are "Minimize" "Zoom" "Bring All to Front". Needless to say, none of these options do much for me.

B: Blenderplayer.app
- A bit scary, because when I clicked on this one, a saw a flash on my dock (like the icon appeared and disappeared very very fast) and then nothing. That's all folks. Hopefully its not doing something weird in the background to me. I have no idea.

1: I have tried deleting all the files, redownloading, starting all over, and the same things happen.

2: I have checked and triple checked that I'm DLing the file recommended for intel Macs.

3: I am not having this problem with any other apps on my computer. It is only Blender.

Thank you all for your any time/effort you put into helping me. I'm hoping this can be solved :)

- Jonathan aka Jonatello

aoe2bug

Post by aoe2bug »

Given past issues on macs, maybe its a graphics card problem. what graphics chip is in your particular mbp? (i have the unibody one and all is well here)

zingbat

Post by zingbat »

From another thread:
Just to understand a bit of my pain on using Blender on a Mac these are the issues i have.

1- Scripts are placed inside Blender-2.48a/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/.blender/scripts . Problem is MacOSX doesn't show folders that start with a dot and that complicates things a lot for Mac users unless they are familiar with Linux and the console. I used TinkerTool to show invisible folders inside the Finder.

2- Blender users expect to click on the .app file and run it. The problem is the console doesn't show up and error messages always go to the console. Solution is to start blender from the Content/MacOS dir which brings up a console (since it's recognized as a shell command). Again this may be very confusing for some Mac users not familiar with unix stuff.

The biggest problem is the keyboard and since i have a laptop it doesn't come with a numpad. Even more aggravating is Apple insisting on making keyboards without the usual home,end,pgup, pgdn,ins,del keys. It doesn't make any sense since those keys are very useful for a ton of different apps.

3- Solved the issue of the numpad keys by oing to the System&OpenGL preferences and activate the option to emulate numpad with the normal number keys. On my MacBook pgup/dn is fn-up/dn (very annoying because it's easy to make a mistake), del is fn-backspace, home is fn-left and end is fn-right. There is no ins key for what i know (which is not a problem).

The function keys are associated to MacOS applications by default so they need to be changed to clicking with fn-fkey (in the keyboard preferences) or this will interfere with Blender operation.

The mouse was a problem on a Mac years ago, but my Apple mouse has much more functions than any other mouse which makes me very happy, with both horiz and vert scroll in one button. It's only necessary to disable any OS functions associated to mouse buttons on the Mac preferences window. Still Alt-Lmb or Ctrl-Alt-Lmb become an alternative to the middle mouse button in the time when mouses only had two or one button.
1. Use TextWrangler. Its free and has an "open hidden" option.
It can open hidden files and even unlock unwritable files.

2. Shift Clover G will take you anywhere you want. Even /Applications/Blender-2.48a/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/.blender/scripts .
[I find it debateble if thats the right spot. Apple apps tent to be easy movable. I mean, drag The blender icon on a USB stick and drop it of at a friends house and you'll have a 100% working (with your scripts) blender.
I'd say the "ease" award goes to mac osx here. ( without wanting to start a os war guys! )]
zingbat, for like 10 bucks you can get a usb numpad for the macbook. Also configuring command as control and disabling the OSX f-key screen modifiers makes things much better.
I think there's also some info on the wiki about using Blender on a Mac but it doens't say much about using laptops.

Jonatello

Post by Jonatello »

thanks for the responses everyone. i'll try following some of the suggestions soon and see what happens.

appreciate the effort, either way though :) thanks

joeri

Post by joeri »

Blenderplayer.app is for playing blender made games. Drop a game.blend on Blenderplayer.app to start that game.

Blender.app... ???

Okay... Well...
Download a new blender from this site and make sure its the one for your operating system and machine. So if you have a G4 with Osx 10.3 then get Blender 2.48a, PowerPC (22 MB) and if you have an Intel machine then get Blender 2.48a, Intel (18 MB)

If you have no idea what I'm talking about then... hmm...
The fact that you dont know what Services is scares me a bit.

How to know what machine youve got: Click on the little apple in the left top corner and select "About this mac." It will reveal your OS and Processor.

If the OS X is less then 10.3.0 ( say 10.2 ) then no blender for you.

Jonatello

Post by Jonatello »

joeri wrote:Blenderplayer.app is for playing blender made games. Drop a game.blend on Blenderplayer.app to start that game.

Blender.app... ???

Okay... Well...
Download a new blender from this site and make sure its the one for your operating system and machine. So if you have a G4 with Osx 10.3 then get Blender 2.48a, PowerPC (22 MB) and if you have an Intel machine then get Blender 2.48a, Intel (18 MB)

If you have no idea what I'm talking about then... hmm...
The fact that you dont know what Services is scares me a bit.

How to know what machine youve got: Click on the little apple in the left top corner and select "About this mac." It will reveal your OS and Processor.

If the OS X is less then 10.3.0 ( say 10.2 ) then no blender for you.

why scare yourself for no reason? i would refer you to my original post where i said:
"when I DL the intel Mac version (for my intel Macbook Pro) and unzip it..."

and later, where i said:

"2: I have checked and triple checked that I'm DLing the file recommended for intel Macs."