Does anyone use this software on a Mac?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sunbeamrapier

Does anyone use this software on a Mac?

Post by sunbeamrapier »

Is there anyone who has persevered with this software to the point that they like it in a Mac environment?

After some hours, I am part way through the tutorial and tearing my hair out. Partly, i think, because the UI is so keyboard intensive (a 3 button mouse seems to be mandatory unless you are very good at remembering awkward keystroke combinations) and so different to the Mac (and don't we hate that!), but also the tutorial is not very well written (sorry, i know someone wrote this out of the goodness of their heart, but this is the only introduction to this product i can find and it is very confusing and not all the steps seem to work...).

I have to decide, quickly, whether to persevere with this product. These are my concerns:

- does anyone actually use this forum?
- does the UI become easier with experience?
- does it really work on a Mac? (no audio i believe - does that matter?)
- is an 8Mb Intel core duo going to be enough grunt? that's the max on my macbook pro so it has to be...

I know a lot of my problems are just aggravation at having to use a non-Apple UI. Spoiled mac user I guess. But i wonder if i am ever going to remember all these keycodes, especially if i dont use this software day in, day out (animation is just part of my interest in film making).

- what kind of response (time) can i expect from the forum when i run into problems? some forums are more frequented than others...

I have had to put the tutorial aside until i have more time to play around to figure out what the tutorial writer means...

stiv

Post by stiv »

Moved to News & Chat since this is another thread complaining about Blender's UI.

stiv

Post by stiv »

In no particular order:

Some of Blender's core developers do their work on Macs.

These are the Developer Forums. For new user help, start here:
Answers for New Users

You will have a better experience using Blender on a computer that has function keys and a mouse with more than one button.

Blender was designed to work with hotkeys for speed. You can access the same functions from the menus and button panels.

Make sure you use the version of Blender your tutorial was written for.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Its a lot better than running 3d studio max under parallels ...

Holden: You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down...
Leon: What one?
Holden: What?
Leon: What desert?
Holden: It doesn't make any difference what desert, it's completely hypothetical.
Leon: But, how come I'd be there?
Holden: Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you want to be by yourself. Who knows? You look down and see a tortoise, Leon. It's crawling toward you...
Leon: Tortoise? What's that?
Holden: [irritated by Leon's interruptions] You know what a turtle is?
Leon: Of course!
Holden: Same thing.
Leon: I've never seen a turtle... But I understand what you mean.
Holden: You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, Leon.
Leon: Do you make up these questions, Mr. Holden? Or do they write 'em down for you?
Holden: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.
Leon: [angry at the suggestion] What do you mean, I'm not helping?
Holden: I mean you're not helping! Why is that, Leon?
[Leon has become visibly shaken]
Holden: They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response... Shall we continue?

"- does anyone actually use this forum? "
All the time pal

Yes

Yes ( no )

- is an 8Mb Intel core duo going to be enough grunt? that's the max on my macbook pro so it has to be...

You are trying to run a 3d application on a laptop?
How serious should I take you?
I mean... You are not trying to make "Cars" on your laptop or are you?

If you do then your best chances are with blender.
Specially if you want to render something.

If you just want to index finger around then install cinema 4d
or check out this list of alternatives: http://www.eskimo.com/~pristine/3d.html

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks »

Yeah, audio works, but the files have to be WAV files. And besides, you've got a MacBook Pro, which can actually run 3d programs (like games) quickly & natively with it's chipset. So I wouldn't be too worried.

JonRandall

Post by JonRandall »

tsgfilmwerks wrote:Yeah, audio works, but the files have to be WAV files.
I've just downloaded Blender for the first time for use on an Intel Mac, and the download page says unequivocally and emphatically: "NOTE: Intel Mac versions have no sound support yet!"

What you say and what the download page says can't possibly both be correct. So which is it?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

I think this means no sound in the gameengine, but AFAIK still possible in sequencer.

/Nathan

christiankrupa

Post by christiankrupa »

I use Blender on my macbook, and it mostly works fine - the sound thing in the sequencer - Ive found the best way to retain synch is to export it as a soundtrack only quicktime and leave the khz on 44 even if your sound is 48 - those buttons just seem to stretch the sound and pitch, probably needs looking at.....

pciccone

Re: Does anyone use this software on a Mac?

Post by pciccone »

sunbeamrapier wrote:Is there anyone who has persevered with this software to the point that they like it in a Mac environment?
Yes. I use ZBrush and worked on Vue, Carrara and Cinema4D. Blender is by far my favorite package. It takes time to get used to it but once you grok it it becomes second nature and it's way faster to model in Blender than in other packages.
After some hours, I am part way through the tutorial and tearing my hair out. Partly, i think, because the UI is so keyboard intensive (a 3 button mouse seems to be mandatory unless you are very good at remembering awkward keystroke combinations) and so different to the Mac (and don't we hate that!),
The UI is different from any GUI so all users are in the same "boat", people under Windows have the same "UI shock" although I agree that they are not used to the same high standard of UI quality as us Mac users :)
but also the tutorial is not very well written (sorry, i know someone wrote this out of the goodness of their heart, but this is the only introduction to this product i can find and it is very confusing and not all the steps seem to work...).
Good docs are traditionally the weak point of OSS, you might want to check the Wiki, "From Noob to Pro" http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro
Also you can take a look at the "Cartoonsmart" series, very approachable :
http://www.cartoonsmart.com/3d_index.html
Take a look at the Blender Basics 1,2, and 3
Yes, just try to remove your resistance to it. Blender will never act as a standard Mac OS program but that is a good thing as the task at hand requires a very specialized UI in order to be productive. Blender's UI is the result of careful design, not an accident.
I use it on a MacBookPro and so far it's the best 3D program I ever tried. Cinema4D comes close but then again it's a $3,000 app and it doesn't come close to the level of support of some features that are standard in Blender. Mac support is just fine.
I assume you meant 8GB, I'm using it with 2GB.
(animation is just part of my interest in film making).
BTW, if you use AfterEffects be sure to find to Blender to Maya script to export Blender's camera movements to AE 3D layers.

Feel free to post more questions in this thread, I'll be happy to help

pciccone

Post by pciccone »

Forgot to mention also the very funny "Totally Blended" series of tutorials: http://www.totallyblended.com/NEW_INDEX ... tutes.html