Windows Error - Blender 2.49

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Willystyle909

Windows Error - Blender 2.49

Post by Willystyle909 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:36 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to Blender and 3D animation all together. I just recently decided to dive headfirst into animation and downloaded Blender a few days ago. I am currently running through a few tutorials to get a feel for everything but I am having an issue. When I subsurf multiple objects in edit mode, or subsurf in object mode and switch to edit mode, i get a windows error message and Blender shuts down.

Could this be because I am exceeding my memory? My specs are as follows:

Intel 2.67 ghz Quad Core
3gb DDR 3 Ram
64 - bit windows

I apolgize for my "noob" question, but one thing I love about Blender so far is how willing the community is to giving a hand to new users. I was hoping someone might be able to give me som insight!

Thanks!

Will

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:46 am

Most likely you run out of memory yes. If you have high subsurf levels, then you can easily fill your memory. The console window should say something like 'malloc: nil' and some large number.

/Nathan

Willystyle909

Post by Willystyle909 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:05 pm

How much memory do you think I will need? I guess I am confused by the subsurf technique. I am only doing it with a few objects in the plane and I am shutting down, I can't imagine how much memory an entire scene with multiple objects would use after using subsurf.

Is the subsurf technique not used in edit mode often? Should I just be setting the subsurf to act on the render as apposed to in edit mode? Also, what should my performance and hardware specifications be? I thought I had a pretty decent system.

Sorry for all the questions!

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 am

Before you start worrying about your HW specs, what subsurf levels where you trying?

/Nathan

Willystyle909

Post by Willystyle909 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:55 pm

I am only using one subsurf level. If I just quickly open blender and throw a UVsphere and an Icoshpere out there, and subsurf both 1 level (All i do is hit "subsurf" from the modifiers menu, I do not change the level), then swith to Edit mode Blender shuts down and I get the error message.

I do not have Python running. Could that be an issue?

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Have you actually *LOOKED* at the console? If you are running out of memory, you will see what jesterKing described:
The console window should say something like 'malloc: nil' and some large number.
Be like Sherlock Holmes and eliminate the possibilities rather than engage in endless speculation.

Note:You may need to run Blender from the command line to keep the console around.

jitendra

Post by jitendra » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:56 pm

just reinstall , that's it

Be like Sherlock Holmes and eliminate the possibilities rather than engage in endless speculation.

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:02 pm

jitendra wrote:just reinstall , that's it
Someone has spent waaaay too much time in the Windows world.

jitendra

Post by jitendra » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 pm

hehe stiv :D ,

sorry man ! can't help it , i've got a registered version installed on the laptop and it's 100 bucks :wink:

do hate :x windows but 100 bucks..... :?

and to be very honest even microsoft knows that this is the best solution for virtually n numbers of problems on windows :lol:

btw pleaseeee can you give me that irc link for blender forums ?, i missed that one.

stiv wrote:
Someone has spent waaaay too much time in the Windows world.

Willystyle909

Post by Willystyle909 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 am

I checked the console window and it does not say 'mollac: nil' anywhere, but the details of the error read like this.

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Will\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2FF7.tmp.version.txt
C:\Users\Will\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3E89.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Will\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3E8A.tmp.mdmp

I apologize but I am not savy enough with computers to completely understand this. Anyone have any ideas. And again, thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue.

I also installed python and it did not correct the problem and reinstalling did not work either.

jitendra

Post by jitendra » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi will,

This doesn't seem like any problem with blender. Infact looks like there is some problem with your windows profile. try installing in a different directory. one more thing... have you checked that you're installing 64bit version of blender.

Willystyle909 wrote:I checked the console window and it does not say 'mollac: nil' anywhere, but the details of the error read like this.

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Will\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2FF7.tmp.version.txt
C:\Users\Will\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3E89.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Will\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3E8A.tmp.mdmp

I apologize but I am not savy enough with computers to completely understand this. Anyone have any ideas. And again, thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue.

I also installed python and it did not correct the problem and reinstalling did not work either.

Willystyle909

Post by Willystyle909 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Yes, I am running the 64 bit version. I have also tried working from a different directory and it has not helped.

Tonight I am going to fire up my old computer and see if I have the same problem.

I cannot find any other instances of this happening, so I am down the river without a paddle unfortunately.