Cant get blender 2.49a to start

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ShaneJ

Cant get blender 2.49a to start

Post by ShaneJ »

Hi,
I extracted the 2.49 and 2.49a releases for vista 64 and after 2.48 working like a charm I cant get the 2.49s to even start.

I get this error message when i attempt to start blender

C:\Users\Shane\Blender\blender.exe

The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

And I cant just simply use 2.48 because i foolishly deleted it thinking the side by side thing had something to do with having 2 versions of blender on my machine.
Any help would be appreciated and thanks for your time.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

There was a bug in the windows release, should be fixed now.

LetterRip

Drugon

Post by Drugon »

No I am getting this issue also, re-downloaded and everything.

Stravonski

Post by Stravonski »

I also downloaded this today for my Vista 64 PC. I got the same error. :( Any idea on how to fix this? :?

stiv

Post by stiv »

Most likely either weird Vista permissions problems or graphics card/driver issues.

Stravonski

Post by Stravonski »

stiv wrote:Most likely either weird Vista permissions problems or graphics card/driver issues.
I have the newest drivers for my video card and I haven't had "wierd Vista permissions problems" with any other software I have recently installed.

I did get Blender running on my Vista 32 laptop so I guess I can use it there, but my desktop is where I like to do most of my work.

stiv

Post by stiv »

Latest drivers are not the same as working drivers. 64 bit drivers for Windows have been problems in the past and I won't even mention the Aero mess.

Without some actual details on the error and maybe some hardware info, there is not much more to do other than guess. Some posters have mentioned running in XP compatibility mode.
Please see the application event log for more detail.

HellfirePatzi

Post by HellfirePatzi »

Hi ShaneJ,

i got the same error msg on my vista 64bit system. I simply downloaded and installed the "Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistribution Package (x64)" which can be found here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 7CFDFFEE4E

and after that it works. maybe this will help you.

Greetz

Patzi

dvidale

Post by dvidale »

HellfirePatzi wrote:Hi ShaneJ,

i got the same error msg on my vista 64bit system. I simply downloaded and installed the "Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistribution Package (x64)" which can be found here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 7CFDFFEE4E

and after that it works. maybe this will help you.

Greetz

Patzi
I had the same error for Vista64 and Blender 2.49b and I downloaded that package and it's working fine now. Thank you.
DeAndreVidale.com

Impulse Fire911

Post by Impulse Fire911 »

omg this worked i reinstalled vista and i forgot i even installed this on my other version. no wonder it wasnt working :)

Wefyb

Post by Wefyb »

OK, I have just about the same problem as you, but with one MASSIVE DIFFERENCE(sorry about the caps but there needed)

Im using Windows 7, i also have 2.49b, which seems to be having that same "side-by-side" error, and no, i cant just download the program thats been talked about for so long because my computer refuses to except it, is there any OTHER ways people know of to make it work?

jbrower115

Post by jbrower115 »

The same goes for me, Wefyb. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

--j

jbrower115

Post by jbrower115 »

Check this out:

http://www.seangw.com/wordpress/index.p ... incorrect/

and:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/c ... layLang=en

I put that MS Visual C++ thing on and Blender started right up! Hope this helps.

--j