Incorporating libdv support...

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theraz

Incorporating libdv support...

Post by theraz » Sun May 25, 2003 7:39 am

With the recent release of intrr's fantastic audio support for the Sequence Editor, my quest to find others interested in enhancing the SE is renewed! I am wondering if there is any interest in adding libdv support to Blender, so that users of MiniDV cameras can take captured footage and edit/composite right in Blender. Is this viable/of interest to anyone out there? I think the Sequence Editor would make a great general purpose video editor, and being able to edit and add effects (and sound!) all in the same app would be fantastic. Any takers?

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Sun May 25, 2003 9:41 am

Is blender going to become a general multimedia application?

If somebody developed it wold anyone say no?

I think just DV is too limiting, all video formats should be possible. so ppl with frame grabbers and analogue capture cards could still use it.

tachyonwill

Post by tachyonwill » Sun May 25, 2003 6:46 pm

I agree with you theraz, Being able to use MiniDv in blender would be great.

phase

Post by phase » Sun May 25, 2003 11:26 pm

Not to boast... but using DV videosequences as in/ouput in Blender is already
possible under Win/OSX. Either through AviCodec or Quicktime support.

Anyone interested in implementing libdv or any other format for linux can
easily check the sourcecodes... If someone *really* wants to try, I can help
and point you in the right direction. :wink:

Rob.

tachyonwill

Post by tachyonwill » Mon May 26, 2003 12:51 am

Blender(at least for me) only supports type 1 dv AVI codecs, most of my DV footage is in type 2 which blender does not support. What I want is type 2 support so I can use my dv footage without having to convert it.

theraz

What exactly does Blender support?

Post by theraz » Mon May 26, 2003 6:48 am

For me, type 1 and 2 DV both give an "error not a movie" message when I try to open them in Blender. I can't say how many times I've though about moving to Mac or <shudder> back to Windows for video editing. But I'd rather wait (hopefully not in vain) for Linux to get some decent apps. It is not going well. If Blender could take type 2, we'd be saved! So my question is, what exactly does Blender support for ALLL OSes- I know raw and jpeg AVI's work.

phase

Post by phase » Mon May 26, 2003 12:39 pm

Emm, luckily I've never been bothered by a difference between DV formats.
For windows you might want to install the Mainconcept DV codec to use DV
sequences in Blender.

For both windows and OSX I found that Quicktime handles DV pretty well.

Rob

tachyonwill

Post by tachyonwill » Mon May 26, 2003 4:54 pm

I have windows and it seems to support type 1 well, but not type 2 and my capture programs record the dv streams to a type 2 avi, If blender could read them type 2 I would not have to encode them in a different app.

Curador3

Compositing/Editing...

Post by Curador3 » Sat May 31, 2003 9:54 pm

In terms of MiniDV support, being able to composite and do editing in blender wouldn't really be a good idea... since editing and compositing is best located externally with a specifically designed package for this (e.g. Combustion 2 is external to 3ds max but they work as an integrated environment). But on the other hand, it couldn't harm to actually add these features. No one has to stick to the standards of keeping the two apart. I don't know much about this libdv library, so this information above could be completely incorrect and not be linked at all with your question... :roll:

Sorry,

-Sam

matt_e

Re: Compositing/Editing...

Post by matt_e » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:22 am

Curador3 wrote:But on the other hand, it couldn't harm to actually add these features.
DV support would be very useful for things other than compositing too, like rotoscoping from DV sources, using DV as a texture. I'm working on a project now comping 3D over DV, and whileI'm not comping it within Blender, I'm using the footage as a background so I can see what I'm doing in the 3D view. It gets quite cumbersome uncompressed to a TGA sequence :o

Anterion

Post by Anterion » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:23 pm

I think DV support in Linux Blender would be great, since there are other linux videotools that use it (cinelerra, kino...). And it seems that llibquicktime has DV support for the quicktime container format.

Does anyone have some hints where in the blender code the video export is handled? Depending on the complexity and my time schedule I could try my hands on it.

See ya,

Axel

blendix

Post by blendix » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:07 am

Anterion wrote:Does anyone have some hints where in the blender code the video export is handled? Depending on the complexity and my time schedule I could try my hands on it.
I'd go for:
source/blender/avi/
source/blender/quicktime/
source/blender/imbuf/intern/anim.c
source/blender/blenkernel/intern/writeavi.c

That might not be complete list, but you should be able to go from there.

mr_rob

Post by mr_rob » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:28 am

Cool I've been thinking about playing around making a simple video compositing program. Actually I thought it would be funny, it could be name "Mixer", Blender's sister!

Is anyone else interested in such?
Later,
Josh
:twisted: :twisted:

LuneRouge

Post by LuneRouge » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:10 pm

I think a video compositing tool in Blender could be a great help for us.

I could help to test the Windows and Linux version.

I could also help in the interface design if needed.

Lionel Allorge
Email: lionel.allorge@lunerouge.org
Lune Rouge : http://www.lunerouge.org
Film Libre : http://www.filmlibre.org
Terminal Damage : http://www.terminal-damage.org

kid_tripod

Re: Compositing/Editing...

Post by kid_tripod » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:19 pm

Curador3 wrote:In terms of MiniDV support, being able to composite and do editing in blender wouldn't really be a good idea...
That's exactly what the sequence editor is for though!

If you look at the real high end compositors out there, like Shake and Nuke, 3D is becoming a lot more integrated into the final thing (especially in Nuke where you actually move the models around as 3D). Even After Effects is starting to get in on this area. And as you said, Combustion already has very deep support for 3DS and Maya (I think . . . ).

Blender is already closer in spirit to most compositing apps than it is to most 3D ones imo.