Why is everyrhing so complicated?!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

s-killz

Why is everyrhing so complicated?!

Post by s-killz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:45 am

Do I really have to learn all of those key combinations.I feel like I'm learning a new language!I have to press like 10 keys allover the keypad just to do a simple chamfer or vertex welding.I mean seriously Isn't there a better way?I am a 3dsmax user but I have never had a problem working with Maya or XSI.When I got into Blender i was just stunned and I felt like I have never seen a 3d object before. :(

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Some vertex model tools are badly implemented.
But I find the vertex editor of blender by far better than the Maya one.
Not even talking about the subsurf editor of Maya or Max...

Binding and Animating the verteces in blender is in my view also far more easy than in Maya. True that you need to learn the keys, but same goes for Max or Maya. I dont believe anybody can get a mesh deform animation done in Maya without a tutorial. Hence: Even attach an object to a motion path needs a tutorial.

For, clicker-di-click people blender is "complicated", but just keep in mind that moving the mouse your screen up and down will give you RSI, so remembering some hotkeys is better for you.

snifi

Post by snifi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:21 pm

There are some historical reasons behind this. One can say Blender is a result of some C-coders, who are productive in the way they get things done, but who have no time to follow the design trends.

jitendra

Re: Why is everyrhing so complicated?!

Post by jitendra » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:53 pm

it will pay you in the long run. Trust me blender has a bit typical learning curve..but once you learn it you'll appreciate the whole concept it was built around.

s-killz wrote:Do I really have to learn all of those key combinations.I feel like I'm learning a new language!I have to press like 10 keys allover the keypad just to do a simple chamfer or vertex welding.I mean seriously Isn't there a better way?

zingbat

Re: Why is everyrhing so complicated?!

Post by zingbat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:11 pm

"For, clicker-di-click people blender is "complicated", but just keep in mind that moving the mouse your screen up and down will give you RSI, so remembering some hotkeys is better for you."

Are you kidding? I'm constantly forgetting key combinations, but i could check the keycombo to weld vertices by selecting a few then go to the menu Mesh->Vertices. Merge is the first menu and the keycombo Alt-M is displayed at the right of the menu.

Don't see how this can be so hard or needs 10 actions to do, even for people who can' remember keycombos like me. Perhaps the problem is people not realizing that menus are dynamic and change depending of the mode (edit, object, paint). Just by browsing the menus i can recall every keycombo for every operation Blender can do.