Crashes on Win98

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

Could you maybe post a link to the file(s) that crash it?

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

It's probably trying to make a preview of a file but the file isn't what it expects, I've had this issue before there is an option to turn off auto-previewing somewhere...

hillborg

Post by hillborg »

I'm not loading any file at all. I'm just selecting file followed by open, from the file menu. And the file dialog doesn't even open. It just crashes. Yes, maybe the software's trying to create a preview of something, which it either misinterprets or cannot display properly. That sounds very reasonable and I bet that's the problem. I'll check it out. Can someone tell me where the preview can be switched off?

hillborg

Post by hillborg »

I'm getting closer to find out where the problem is. Yes, you were right that it's some default path, which causes the program either to look in some folder that doesn't exist or to look in a folder, which contains bad stuff.

Because when I start Blender. Then to the lower left, there are three paths; the dir to save pics to, a path to a background image and a path to an image to use with FTYPE images. These have the following default:

//render/
//
//

If I click on the browser button to the left of these fields, then I get the crash. BUT if I change these paths first, to a folder that doesn't contain everything, then the file selector appears without problems.

So what I suspect is that the FILE->OPEN command has a default path. And that's not a good one. It seems to be a non-existing dir or maybe the default dir contains something, which Blender doesn't like or cannot interpret.

So how do I change the default path for the FILE->OPEN command? Is it possible? Is it the same folder as the EXE?

Cheers
M

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

it should probably be tested to make sure the dir
exists before hand anyway. I'd say submit this as a bug
to the bugtracker.

hillborg

Post by hillborg »

SirDude wrote:I'd say submit this as a bug
to the bugtracker.
Done.

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

I still think it could be some file with a wonky codec, I think a certain divx video crashed as I browsed the folder it was in once, but that was a few versions before 2.27....

steve343

Post by steve343 »

I hate to tell you this but ive benn with blender for a very long time and its your graphics card.

I used to have that same graphics card what you need to do is install the oldest drivers you can find. that might sound crazy but the older ati drivers had much better opengl support and will prevent blender from crashing. (as for the installer issues i dont know if it will solve this try and just get the blender.exe off someone it should work fine on its own).

i know you think im mad but i've done it myself so try it.
steve.