(Idea) Making Blender the Best 3D Presentation Tool.

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ioky

(Idea) Making Blender the Best 3D Presentation Tool.

Post by ioky » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum

First of all, I want to thanks all the Blender Developer as well as supporter.

Here is an Idea I was like to share with others and maybe get some feed back from it.

I am an Architecture Major student, as well as a graphic designer / photographer. As in Architecture and Industrial Design, we often need to do presentation to our client as well as simply our co-work to explain the concept and actual structure of the thing we would like to be build. Traditionally Everything is done under things as Poster, PowerPoint, animation, or simply show it inside the 3D software.

I thinking is, Why can't we have a User interface to allow the user create a real-time 3D/2D Presentation.

It would be similar like PowerPoint, everything a button got click it goes to the next "Slide". And here is how I think it can be done. It our presentation, It contains two lay, the 2D lay and the 3D space lay.

The 2D lay is simply a transparent lay that text can be written one, and showing 2D image When we have to. It can also allow a "2D screen" to show another 3D object. (Maybe for Detail of the Main Object or something). The 2D lay act Just like a slide, When a button have been click, it goes to the next whatever info the user want to show.

The 3D lay however act a little bit difference, Each "Slide" would actually be a position of the camera. which will go along with the 2D slide at real time. Another way to control the 3D lay is to active the "Free D" mode, which give the presenter the ability to move the 3D object freely, as they would in 3D software. Other thing about this lay is that you can switch Object which a button have been click. Think of this lay as the "background" of the 2D slide in powerpoint.

Overall the 2D lay is what taking control, what is next. And the "Free D" mode allow the user to pin point some of the spot that people have question about. You can think of this way, This Plugin/software of blender would be more or less like a 3D model viewer with flat 2D info support, or a 2D slide show software with real time 3D support.

I initially, was thinking to "try" to write this software using OpenGL, and Qt as the user interface. But when I think about it, it can really just be part of Blender. like the Game engine they have. Actually we think think of this closely, it acts very similar like a Game Engine, except you need interface to allow the user to edit the thing they want to show quickly.

Let me know "what you think." like is this a possible project or simply BS and pointless? And feed Back are welcome. It might already exist somewhere in the world too. haha

I was about to write this myself, but once I got started, it gets a lot harder than I think it would, I am only a hobby programmer, No where close to professional. Plug at the same time, I feels like I am just try to reproduce some of existing function in Blender, and OpenOffice, impress.

Thanks

amdbcg

Re: (Idea) Making Blender the Best 3D Presentation Tool.

Post by amdbcg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:57 am

ioky wrote:Hey everyone, I am new to this forum

First of all, I want to thanks all the Blender Developer as well as supporter.

Here is an Idea I was like to share with others and maybe get some feed back from it.

I am an Architecture Major student, as well as a graphic designer / photographer. As in Architecture and Industrial Design, we often need to do presentation to our client as well as simply our co-work to explain the concept and actual structure of the thing we would like to be build. Traditionally Everything is done under things as Poster, PowerPoint, animation, or simply show it inside the 3D software.

I thinking is, Why can't we have a User interface to allow the user create a real-time 3D/2D Presentation.

It would be similar like PowerPoint, everything a button got click it goes to the next "Slide". And here is how I think it can be done. It our presentation, It contains two lay, the 2D lay and the 3D space lay.

The 2D lay is simply a transparent lay that text can be written one, and showing 2D image When we have to. It can also allow a "2D screen" to show another 3D object. (Maybe for Detail of the Main Object or something). The 2D lay act Just like a slide, When a button have been click, it goes to the next whatever info the user want to show.

The 3D lay however act a little bit difference, Each "Slide" would actually be a position of the camera. which will go along with the 2D slide at real time. Another way to control the 3D lay is to active the "Free D" mode, which give the presenter the ability to move the 3D object freely, as they would in 3D software. Other thing about this lay is that you can switch Object which a button have been click. Think of this lay as the "background" of the 2D slide in powerpoint.

Overall the 2D lay is what taking control, what is next. And the "Free D" mode allow the user to pin point some of the spot that people have question about. You can think of this way, This Plugin/software of blender would be more or less like a 3D model viewer with flat 2D info support, or a 2D slide show software with real time 3D support.

I initially, was thinking to "try" to write this software using OpenGL, and Qt as the user interface. But when I think about it, it can really just be part of Blender. like the Game engine they have. Actually we think think of this closely, it acts very similar like a Game Engine, except you need interface to allow the user to edit the thing they want to show quickly.

Let me know "what you think." like is this a possible project or simply BS and pointless? And feed Back are welcome. It might already exist somewhere in the world too. haha

I was about to write this myself, but once I got started, it gets a lot harder than I think it would, I am only a hobby programmer, No where close to professional. Plug at the same time, I feels like I am just try to reproduce some of existing function in Blender, and OpenOffice, impress.

Thanks
Hey, CodeManX and I just figured out a system to do this using stop markers / uv unwrapped planes.

hit up blenderartists forums if you want to see the code, email me (MY_USER_NAME@gmail.com) if you'd like to collaborate on making an addon. :D

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:30 am

I like the idea, and a simple addon could be made for this. A more sophisticated solution would be, however, a WebGL web application using the Three.js library + transformations. Like Impress.js with real 3d features (especially model loading and lightning):

http://bartaz.github.io/impress.js/#/bored

Why? Because all you needed was a WebGL-compatible browser and you could possibly work fully online.

But we could Blender give a go since most of the things are easy to implement, rather simple compared to what it would take to make such a WebGL app.

Not sure about BGE, i would rather use regular blender interface. That would also allow draw handlers to write e.g. text directly onto screen.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...