sunlight

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

shadow

sunlight

Post by shadow » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:56 pm

hi there,

I have a small problem.:oops: I have created big scene, not many objects, but it's large, and I want to have some sort of sunlight with shadows. I know that the spot is the only lamp that casts shadows. But when I use it, the shadows are not paralel to each other. The shadow angle depends on object position against the lightsource. How then make all shadows paralel :?:

any ideas or links to the tuts?

greetz
The box said: "Requires Windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux...

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:07 pm

You can try just making the spot very far away so that there is only a small angle (which of course is what the sun is except so far that it is near enough infinite!) - you would have to make sure that the clip start and clip end values were high enough that it made shadows at that distance.

Neil

shadow

Post by shadow » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:01 pm

yes, I know that, but then shadows are poor quality, and blured, even if I set shadow buffer to max value, and soft and bias to minimum. It is a little bit getting me mad :(
The box said: "Requires Windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux...

S68

Post by S68 » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:10 pm

You might try to read the Documentation...

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... file=index

In the Lighting chapter, at the end, some tips on having sun & sghadows ;)

Stefano

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:09 pm

You could use a grid of spotlights, use dupliverts to create it, and make sure that the lights are close enough so the light is spread evenly.

I have that it works well using the grid just to cast shadows and one light to light the seen (no shadows)

This works well because the energy of the shadow lights can be adjusted seperately from the light.