What Blender really needs ...

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Xtra

What Blender really needs ...

Post by Xtra » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:17 pm

Hi all!

In the past I worked on a complex mesh with subdiv. surf. and I realized that Blenders modeler is not very well suited for this kind of work. If you need sharper edges in SDS (and, on complex meshes, you will need it), you have to add more faces / verts near the edge you want to sharpen and to do this you either need a "split faces / edges" tool or you need weighted verts. Without that you have to do this manualy and believe me, this is a pain when you have to split one hundred (ore even more) faces.

Then Blender needs at least one integrated export feature to other often used 3d formats, I would like to see an *.obj exporter. I know there's a python script available to do this, but it doesn't work on my machine (like many other python scripts, too). I'm not a developer but I think this shouldn't be to difficult to implement.

So bevore you add more and more 'special' features you should improve some basics wich makes Blender really usefull even for more 'professional' or more ambitious users. :)

Regards,
Xtra

Jamesk

Post by Jamesk » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:45 pm

Built in OBJ-support (both import and export of course, with full support for vertexpaint and uv-coords) would in fact make Blender appear one full notch more professional.

Personally, the OBJ-script runs OK on my machine, so I have no problems with that, but it definitely interrupts my workflow having to run that script. It should be available in the filemenu just like VRML.

Considering how simple the OBJ-format is, it's kind of surprising that it has not yet been supported.

Another option would be 3DS. It's widely used too, of course, and has the advantage of supporting full scenedescriptions, with lights, cams and everything.

But built-in OBJ support would be number 1 on my list...

thorax

Re: What Blender really needs ...

Post by thorax » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:34 pm

Xtra wrote:Hi all!

In the past I worked on a complex mesh with subdiv. surf. and I realized that Blenders modeler is not very well suited for this kind of work. If you need sharper edges in SDS (and, on complex meshes, you will need it), you have to add more faces / verts near the edge you want to sharpen and to do this you either need a "split faces / edges" tool or you need weighted verts. Without that you have to do this manualy and believe me, this is a pain when you have to split one hundred (ore even more) faces.
Sharper edges could be done with SDS in two ways:

toggle degree of a curve at the vertex or edge (I assume SDS is
a form of 2nd degree curve, tangential consistency).

Also as you said we could increase the weight of the vertex, or edge
to obtain hard edges.

I don't know what math would be involved, but it seems possible..
I mean I have worked with NURBS surfaces in Alias/Wavefront packages and I know how one can toggle the surface consistency at
an isoparm.

I also have an idea for handling details on polygon and SDS surfaces
by allowing a quad to be substituted in the tesselation stage with
other objects whose first four vertices are used to compute the projection of the object onto the surface, aligned with the subtituted quad.
That would allow reuse of features like ears, eyes, etc, it would also
allow reuse of relative vertex keying..

Of course this idea could be extended to support arbiitrary number of
quads to be subtituted with the first N vertices that are being substituted
to compute a kind of warped projection of the subtitution onto the
surface.. But this idea would be harder to implement as its more subjective.

Xtra

Post by Xtra » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:27 am

Hi thorax,

what do you think about a 'split edges / faces' feature? Maybe hard to implement, I don't know.
However, for now it would be very usefull to have a OBJ support so that I could use wings for this kind of work. Yes, there's an export script available, but it doesn't work on my Linux box. To use it I would need Windows with an old Python installation and an old Blender version. This is not really accepable.

Regards,
Xtra

soletread

Post by soletread » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:01 pm

Well seeing as this discussion is about meshes and "what Blender really needs...." One more thing on this:

Take a mesh of a hand for instance. Not too dense, now try assign verteses to vertex groups. Doing a clump together is ok, BUT try and find one vertex or maybe 3. Talk about really difficult.

Hundreds and Hundreds of little dots all over the place.

Now what any other 3D modeler would do to help out here, would be to hide all those not facing the camera.

Such a basic feature, yet to be seen in Blender though. Why not?

Rigging a character to an armature is a major nightmare.

---