The Blender Game Kit vs. Upcoming return of the game engine

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

DragonWitch

The Blender Game Kit vs. Upcoming return of the game engine

Post by DragonWitch » Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:39 am

'Allo,

I am very new to the Blender community. So new in fact I haven't even downloaded or installed Blender yet! Anyway, I have a very important question;

I am really interested in purchasing the Blender Game Kit. It looks to be a very valuable resource for Blender. My concern, though, is that is uses what I would consider a pretty much "out of date" version of Blender and I wonder how useful having the game kit would be in the long run.

Will the game kit still provide useful with the new releases of Blender? Will the new releases of the game engine for Blender be radically different than the last release with the game engine? Will the Python scripting be any different? Basically, will what I learn with the game kit still be useful for the upcoming versions of Blender or will it be obsolete?

That's all I want to know.

xype

Post by xype » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:35 am

I think the main goal for Blender 2.x development, right now, it to get the functionality back to where it was before it went opensource. I think the parts of the game engine that were mising went opensource as well and as for the rest it shouldn't change dramatically in the near future.

Changing Blender completely would take too much time, I think it will only get improved slightly trough versions, so the GameKit should sta useable for some time.

thorax

Post by thorax » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:20 am

In blender 3.x there may be considerations for ways to
improve the Gameblender part.. Although gameblender
files made of previous will have to remain compatible
with future blenders, there will need to be discussion
open for consider how to improve Gameblender,
such as in the functionality board..

Some ideas I had pointed to the use of a object
to represent game state, so that game designers can
produce relationships between levels and ways to
produce games with level-warps and puzzle states (like
you may have a game that lasts over several levels
but things you did in previous levels may affect
things you are doing in future levels). So for gameblender
to be effective as a real game development environment
we will need to consider what it lacks and put in suggestions
to the Fubo for how to fix this.. This will inform the developers
design/coding decisions.. Not force them to anything, but
strictly to inform.. That way being less subjective
but more a state of adding to what can be considered
as common sense or shared knowledge.

xype

Post by xype » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:30 pm

DragonWitch just asked whether the GameKit will be/stay useable as far as GameBlender functionality is concerned - and it will. There's no need for a Blender 3.0 game functionality discussion here, please. It just confuses people asking simple questions!

DragonWitch

Post by DragonWitch » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:54 pm

Well, I glad someone answered my question, thank you. ButI'm also glad thorax went into a litte bit more because my next question was going to be what does the Blender game engine lack for making games?

From the demos I've seen the animation and rendering engines are very nice but I don't know just what the game engine does and doesn't do. From what thorax said it sounds like there are some important limitations, but his is only one opinion. Anybody else care to sound off?

xype

Post by xype » Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:24 pm

Depends on what you want to do there will always be limitations with stuff you don't write yourself.

Basically it's still no "point-click-make-game" system, if you want something complicated you might need to code stuff in python. Maybe if you elaborate what you'd want to use it for (or what your expectations are) we can help you further. But the GameKit does come with a few finished games, so you have studying material.

OTO

Post by OTO » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:05 pm

AND....if you purchase the Blender kit you will help the Blender Foundation!!
Consider it like a donation!!

Bye
António

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:38 pm

Python is a very valuable tool to cross some of blender's limitations. But without any scripting, there is still quite a lot you can do. But you can't do saving (have to use passwords or something instead), the speed of the engine is pretty slow because it trys to render all the objects (even objects so far away you can't see them), and there are quite a few bugs that make things difficult. Hopefully, in the next few months, we can work out how to fix the most annoying bugs.

But you can still make great games with it, and it's easier than writing code for most people. And if you like to dabble in some code, you can learn python, which isn't too difficult. If you are having trouble with something, search the elysiun.com game engine forum to see if it's a known bug, and if you don't come up with anything ask about it:)

snowy_duck

Post by snowy_duck » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:37 am

besides, with the game kit the CD/demos arn't really that important (unless your a hand on learner) what your accualy buying with the game kit is the book that teaches you all the improtant stuff

unfortuneatly i lost my blender game kit book :cry: and don't know where it is...... :cry: whaaaa!!!!!!