BLENDER on APPLE IPAD?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Kelchwid

BLENDER on APPLE IPAD?

Post by Kelchwid » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello world!

Do you know if Blender will could be carried on IPAD?
A blender to simplified by ex? Needing less resource like the first version of blender.only modeling?
What think about it?

Have Good day
Kelchwid

sorry, I corrected Itab to Ipad...
Last edited by Kelchwid on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fantasy Book
--> http://mondefantasy.site.voila.fr/
contact me!

Dooble Studios

Post by Dooble Studios » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:05 am

Well now called ipad, But I hope it will be does anybody else know?
Dylan

psullie

Post by psullie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:06 pm

While that would be fun (I recall some one porting it to the iPhone recently) with it's 1 Ghz Processor, limited RAM and GPU I doubt the experience would be very rewarding.
However the mutli-touch screen would be cool for sculpting! But then this is what this is for: http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

FreeMind

Post by FreeMind » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Blender on Ipad? Im not sure.
But Ipad in a blender, that's the way to go. Works. It's proven.

zuyuz

Post by zuyuz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Well, it wouldn't be too hard, since the iPad is running a watered-down version of OSX with an über-simple GUI. That cuts porting time in half... But you still have the issue of interface and power. You'd need a wrapper to translate multitouch into mouse input that blender understands. Also, blender is really keyboard intensive, so a "soft" touch keyboard is not really good for productivity.

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:52 am

The iPad is more of a mobile platform, not really something you would put a lot of effort into developing a tool like this for. Blender might be able to make games for it, but that's about it. Please don't USE ALL CAPITOL LETTERS when they aren't necessary. As you can see; not very nice.

y2kkmac

Post by y2kkmac » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:24 am

Hello, I'm new to the forums, but I've been using Blender for a couple of years. Although a touch interface for Blender would be brilliant, I don't think the iPad has either the power or screen size to handle such an expansive application. When you really think about it, Blender has so many features and options that the iPad's screen would get crowded very quickly. I agree with psullie that the Modbook is a better choice for tablet Blending (if you want to call using Blender that) first off because of the pen and also because of the computing power. I have to say, the Modbook looks ridiculously awesome, especially in action! :)

-y2kkmac

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:59 am

The IPad and IPhone both do not allow interpreted languages on their platforms.

Since Blenders UI is generated via python, it likely would not be allowed.

LetterRip

Kiernanholland

Post by Kiernanholland » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:17 am

LetterRip wrote:The IPad and IPhone both do not allow interpreted languages on their platforms.

Since Blenders UI is generated via python, it likely would not be allowed.

LetterRip
Ya but that is really just a minor pro lem, the best parts of blender for novices would be the parts to add like, 3d object modelling, pinch and pull, slicing and such. All that would be needed is blenders rendering and possibly its animation abilities. The video sequencer would be very welcome as I don't think the iPad has a video editing facility. Also let us not forget the device has a builtin SSD so load and save times are super fast, and libraries of objects could be say purchased from the app store for download. I can see this offering Ton and the other developers a great alternative source of revenue, considering Apple has sold more than 3 million of these so far. PS, I have one, and I own many PC's and for the money the iPad has been greater experience for me than my PC's. Sure I still use windows to play games, but that's all I ever do on it, aside from syncing the iPad which effectively backs it up complete with its Applications. It, like blender, is virtually filesystem-less, each application has it's own filesystem, and how many applications transfer files with the iPad is by turning it temporarily into a web server so files can be transferred to one or multiple people. In some applications, files are transferred to a remote host managed by the application designer. Just imagine giving iPad usersnthe chance to exchange blender scenes with other users, with very little effort and a minimal interface that doesn't get in the way of creativity and sharing.

It could almost be another selling point for the iPad for 3D artists that wish to work on scenes and animation away from their computer, on the bus, train, subway, without having to tote power cables, mouse or an extra keyboard as blender requires, and plus since the platform is solid and well known, it would be easier to cater the interface specifically to the iPad audience. Just consider how much stuff you need to tote to take your projects with you! Btw, it has a accelerometer in it and the battery life is phenomenal, much longer than most netbooks. I can continuously play a 3D game in it for four hours and still have plenty of juice. it's because it uses a custom low power processor (likely a RISC chip), and only about 256 megs of memory. So it doesn't waste a lot of power on memory recycles and processing if it doesn't have to.

Anyhow, I'm planning to post videos of it demonstrating its capabilities on youtube for the user kiernanholland . i've already got three there demonstrating some fantastic applications on it. For instance, check out iSequence for the iPad. It is a music program that simplifies the qhole songwriting practice. There is also a program called iVoxel that turns the iPad into a vocoder. A good example of a interacyive 3D program is ones like Holotoy, and there is a Julia and Mandelbulb 3D renders that render a prcoedural mirrored surfaces in the iPad. if those can be done efficiently in the iPad, blender can be.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:45 pm

Ya but that is really just a minor pro lem
No, it is not. the new Blender user interface is done via Python - an interpreted language. Apple does not allow other interpreted languages on their platform.

Besides the user interface, Python scripting is an integral part of Blender. The import/export scripts, everything in the ever-growing extensions - all Python.

We call this a "show stopper".

ruBBer84

Post by ruBBer84 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:13 am

Apple changed some iOS development restrictions:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/09/appl ... s-will-al/

Make that any difference now?

:D

stemlir25

Post by stemlir25 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:07 am

Games maybe. Nothing else. :)

JWalton

Post by JWalton » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Kiernanholland wrote: Ya but that is really just a minor
blah blah blah!

The return of Kiernan Holland! oh dear!

I love the iPad, but it's not the platform for blender as it is.

bullx

3d visualization

Post by bullx » Thu May 12, 2011 1:03 pm

rhinoceros has an app that let you open a model an visualiza it in 3d space.
it is not a nurb modelling or work tool, it is just a visulizzation tool.

this is very usefull if you use the ipad to show models to ypur clients, and renders using the native image app.

the rhino app works very smoothly using the dual arm and i think this shuold be the right approach, a 3d tool to visualize objects in a pseudi GI 3d space.

hope this can be usefull.

Kiernanholland

LOL

Post by Kiernanholland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:16 am

JWalton wrote:
Kiernanholland wrote: Ya but that is really just a minor
blah blah blah!

The return of Kiernan Holland! oh dear!

I love the iPad, but it's not the platform for blender as it is.
how's the SGI musuem going.. There is some guy with a barn full of old technology that could use some extra relics.