JWalton

Re: LOL

Post by JWalton » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Kiernanholland wrote:
JWalton wrote:
Kiernanholland wrote: Ya but that is really just a minor
blah blah blah!

The return of Kiernan Holland! oh dear!

I love the iPad, but it's not the platform for blender as it is.
how's the SGI musuem going.. There is some guy with a barn full of old technology that could use some extra relics.
Chucked it all, bought Mac's, and built a Music Studio in the freed up space.

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Ah, the heroic machines that helped us change the world. But the world has moved on...

I felt so sad when I carried my VAX11/785 out to the curb, like putting Grandma out on the ice floe.

JWalton

Post by JWalton » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:52 am

stiv wrote:
Ah, the heroic machines that helped us change the world. But the world has moved on...

I felt so sad when I carried my VAX11/785 out to the curb, like putting Grandma out on the ice floe.
You never had a 785 you could carry, if at all, stiv. In any event, yes time and interests move on. We have multiple iMacs, Power Macs, Pros, Airs, Books, iPads, iPhone, and iPods at home now. And no windows. My boy and I use Final Cut, and Logic. I have blender ready when needed, waiting for inspiration. Still fondly remember then 2001 SIGGRAPH, the first Netherlands working group meeting, that was a terrifically energetic time. Even if someone wasted all his time playing quake. Anyone hear from wp?

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:07 pm

You never had a 785 you could carry, if at all, stiv
Well, not by myself. Grandma went much easier!

OK, I'm joking. Those things were the size of two refrigerators, after all.

It is always nice to hear from people who were part of the Old Days, back when Blender fit on a floppy disk. Blender has come a long way, along with the hardware it runs on.

Good luck in your current projects!

JWalton

Post by JWalton » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm very pleased the project I invested in acquiring the rights & source code to has continued to flourish. Kudos to Ton and his community leaders! I'm hoping I'll back around to using Blender for visualization. It keeps getting better and better!

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:12 am

Edit: Fix't
Last edited by Tehrasha on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 am

Deleted with a powerful blast of Spam-B-Gone.
Thanks.

acanterelle

Workflow

Post by acanterelle » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Key to blender is workflow. Make the creative connections get the workflow. In the appstore compatible apps incorporable to such a workflow include the 123D suite, Air login, 3D Portfolio, or Osc to midi via such things as Touch OSC. More interesting and pertinent could be a webcam to blender interface overlay. Minority report here we come!

123D Sculpt, 123D Creature, 123D and 123D design each do exportation of .obj or similar filetype. Look in the appstore. Several 3D portfolio apps exist able to import and display .obj or similar. Also wireless login toos open up the possibility of touch interface for all of blenders toolset from the Ipad or Iphone. For more hardware control staying within the iPad, purchase a wireless or bluetooth keyboard for the Ipad, (many models exist, your choice). Blenders key interface is customisable, as such and program able to send key combinations from OSC or MIDI data is able to control blender functions. You could if you so chose control all of blender from musical audio input. Sounds like a thesis topic to me though. Back to topic, OSC ipad apps usually have a keyboard layout.

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
Halfway down Touch OSC's software page is a downloads section to the Touch OSC editor (definately free) and OSC bridge. Figure out exactly what you need from Blender and the workflow becomes more obvious as to how to adapt your workflow.

More things, Blender's tutorials section includes links somewhere to users migrating from Maya, completmenting this is CameraMan™ for Maya for Ipad. Oficially the appstore details say that the app is for Maya however they also say the control panel scripts are cameraman.py control panel scripts. There is also in the appstore for Ipad autodesk products and AutoCAD products.

Also apps such as Sketchbook Express could all connect with Blender. (texture map editing in sketchbook suite)

Or something such as iFontMaker, able to export created font files. Something a simple Blender ported for Ipad would not contain as Blender for OS does not export to .TTF files, however does READ .TTF files.

Each of these could definately compliment a Blender Workflow. Have you found something from this helpful?
Cheers
M