Where do i post requests/Suggestions?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FreeMind

Where do i post requests/Suggestions?

Post by FreeMind »

I can't seem to find a place to post requests and suggestions for Blender 2.5
anywhere around these blender sites...

Can someone point me the way, or is it nonexistent?

Roadwarrior

Post by Roadwarrior »

Yeah, I was looking too, I think I'll leave mine here so I don't have to make a new thread.

Did a quick google, didn't find anything about my suggestion being in blender already.

It's for Animating, even though I'm a newb when it come to animating :P

I'd like an option that when activated, shows a wire frame of the selected next or past frame. IE:

You click on a check-box that says"Show Next And Previous frames".

Then you have a menu pop-up beside it. The menu options are: "Number of alternate frames" What this dose is show the number of how many different frames are shown at once.

If more then one is selected let's say two. you then have two different boxes that are like 2.49's frame select box. They start at zero and when you move it up a number, in the background you see a green(Or blue) wire frame of that selected frame.

I would find this useful.

If this has already been done, I didn't find it.

Link to my current model I'm working on and a finished one, probably not relevant but here they are anyway.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c366/ ... Penn02.png

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c366/ ... inel07.png
Out of date but it's close to the finished model.

The first post on a new forum is always nerve-racking >_>
Blender on dude!

matty

Request for Blender 2.5 better memory management repost

Post by matty »

ok i hope i am not breaking the rules by mentioning something i said before but i don't think anyone ever read my request so hear i go

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have always wanted blender to optimize the way it uses memory for higher poly counts perhaps by saving the mesh to the hard drive after editing it rather than keeping it in ram (it seems the developers are trying to do this with the sculpt tool but why not make an option to do it with regular meshes)

the benefits of better memory usage would be big because people with 32 bit computers often run out of ram while using blender (like me) it would also be useful for people with 64 bit computers because they could build huge meshes (really really huge) and store them in the same .blend file

i know i am just an artist not a coder but i hope my ideas still count
:)

stiv

Re: Request for Blender 2.5 better memory management repost

Post by stiv »

i have always wanted blender to optimize the way it uses memory for higher poly counts perhaps by saving the mesh to the hard drive after editing it rather than keeping it in ram (it seems the developers are trying to do this with the sculpt tool but why not make an option to do it with regular meshes)

the benefits of better memory usage would be big because people with 32 bit computers often run out of ram while using blender (like me) it would also be useful for people with 64 bit computers because they could build huge meshes (really really huge) and store them in the same .blend file
Saw this earlier but never got around to replying.

Bottom line: disks are slow, memory is fast. Trying to replace memory access with disk i/o would be brutally slow.

Computer operating systems that support virtual memory (basically any you will come across) already do what you are asking for. The reason for keeping things in memory is that disk i/o is a 1000 times slower than memory access. If you computer does not have enough physical memory, the operating system will swap memory pages in and out to disk. (this is why adding memory is usually the easiest/cheapest performance inhancement).

A 32 bit processor can only address 4 Gig of memory. Out of that 4 Gig, the operating system takes 1-2 Gigs leaving the rest of the address space for processes. Thanks to software magic, in a modern operating system each process thinks it is running all alone; just it and the operating system.

With the popularity of hi-res movies and complex scenes, people are turning to 64 bit processors because they can address larger amount of memory. (all of the Blender Open Movie projects have been rendered on 64 bit machines)

matty

thank you for reading my post sorry it wansn't helpfull

Post by matty »

you did help me though by verifying that 64 bit will solve my problems sorry i couldn't i guess i don't know enough about computers i plan to make the switch to 64 bit this summer but i wanted to help people who couldn't afford to