Blender crash

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

iriac

Blender crash

Post by iriac »

Hi!
I have a problem with Blender. Everytime i open it, it crashes (see photo).
My computer is a Compaq presario CQ61 with 2GB RAM, 120 GB free on Harddisc, Windows Home Basic 64 bits, Intel GMA HD4500, Intel Celeron Dual Core T3100 1.9 GHz.

Does anyone else have or had this problem?
Can anyone help me?
Thanks!

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s208 ... lender.png

matty

check if your graphics card is supported

Post by matty »

not all graphics cards work well with blender it needs a card with good openGL support for a list of good cards see the specs page for windows on the blender website also if you are using an alpha version and this did not help report it as a bug anyone can sign up to be a bug reporter you don't have to know programing once you have just click submit new under bug reporting and fill out the form

stiv

Post by stiv »

Do not report this as a bug. Most likely it is a problem with your computer's setup.

Common steps to fix video problems:

turn off Aero theme

Update your video driver. The card manufacturer's drivers tend to work better

Try adjusting the OpenGL settings in Blender's User Preferences

turn down hardware acceleration

rlfielding

Same crashing issue...

Post by rlfielding »

I've seen at least half a dozen versions of what I am about to post. I was playing with blender, happily humming along, when suddenly it quit working. I suspect an automatic windows or driver update has broken it.

I have tried ALL of the advice that I can find: turning off hardware acceleration features, turning off Aero in Vista, I've downloaded the very most recent nVidia driver for my video card, and so on.

So, Blender crashes on startup. In debug mode, some releases get as far as "OBCamera", but others don't show anything before the crash. This is only a problem for 64-bit versions -- 32-bit versions seem to work all right, and this applies to all the versions I have downloaded: 2.49a, 2.49b, and any build of 2.5. If someone is interested, I would be happy to provide the windows debug files (an app compatibility file, and a memory dump, I think).

I have a GeForce 9500 GT with 1 GB of RAM. I just downloaded their most recent driver, version 257.21. The computer is an AMD Phenom II, 3 GHz, with 8 GB of RAM. I'm running Window's Vista Home Premium, 64-bit. I keep up with automatic patches from microsoft.

I briefly thought about trying to do a custom build for my machine, but I can't drop the money for VS Pro which is required to do 64-bit builds on Windows.

Unless there are any bright ideas, I am inclined to give up any advantages that the 64-bit versions might give me (a little faster? Access to more of the memory?) and just keep learning on the 32-bit version. This is, after all, not even a real hobby yet for me.

Thanks for any ideas.

stiv

Post by stiv »

My computer is a Compaq presario CQ61 with 2GB RAM,
I am inclined to give up any advantages that the 64-bit versions might give me (a little faster? Access to more of the memory?)
You don't have enough memory in that box for 64 bits to really matter.

As you say, it is most likely a driver issue. A crash dump should tell you what driver/dll is causing the problem.

rlfielding

Post by rlfielding »

stiv wrote:
My computer is a Compaq presario CQ61 with 2GB RAM,
I am inclined to give up any advantages that the 64-bit versions might give me (a little faster? Access to more of the memory?)
You don't have enough memory in that box for 64 bits to really matter.

As you say, it is most likely a driver issue. A crash dump should tell you what driver/dll is causing the problem.

Just to be clear -- rlfielding & iriac are two different posters with different systems. iriac may not have enough memory to take advantage of the 64-bit version of Blender, but then I'm not sure he ever mentioned whether he was using the 64-bit or 32-bit version.

My problem, on the other hand, is limited to the 64-bit version (32-bit seems to work fine), but my system (64-bit processor, 8 GB RAM) is definitely equipped to take advantage of 64-bit software...That is, apparently, except in the case of Blender.

The crash dump, as viewed in MSVC++2010 Express, only shows which modules are loaded, not the offending module/driver. It does give an exception code (0xC0000374) that is related to heap corruption. But again, without a 64-bit Windows compiler, I can't do much more debugging than that.

Still, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

racejell

Post by racejell »

Whenever I had this type of issue (crashes), it either not enough virtual memory or I needed to update my drivers.