Why not call the next release "Blender 3.0"

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Tarion

Why not call the next release "Blender 3.0"

Post by Tarion » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:36 am

Hi guys,

there are so many changes, improvements and new functions in the current 2.5 branch, so wouldn't it be wise to call the next stable release (currently 2.6) "Blender 3.0"?

I think this would help to convince more people to give Blender a try.
There are many people who tried Blender during the last few years, but surrendered because of the hard learning curve and (for newbies) the unintuitive GUI.

In my opinion both of it has improved a lot since the beginning of 2.5x.

But when someone tested a 2.4x release some years ago and hears about Blender 2.6 he might think: Hey, it's just a minor Update, so why should I bother?

A "3.0" in the name suggests major improvements so they might give it another try or at least they want to know more about it (and then they give it another try :wink:).

What do you think?

Kind regards
-Tarion-

snifi

Post by snifi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:20 pm

I think the 3.0 series should be reserved for Blender GUI toolkit, database schema and centralized brainstorm-codebase subversion management system. Like there is wx, GTK and QT, there could be "bc" for BlenderComponents. And like there is object relational mapper in Django or SQLAlchemy, there could be an orm for Blender. For the word 'intuitive' to be valid, we need a back-to-the-basics release for 3.0.

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:03 pm

I think the GUI was mutilated after the 2.5 series, and should not be considered an "upgrade." If you didn't like the good GUI, then you should have gone somewhere else and left us loyal users alone. Leave us alone, and stop trying to change a perfectly decent program just because it doesn't resemble other 3d programs. You aren't helping blender, you're mangling it.

neondistraction

Post by neondistraction » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:26 am

tsgfilmwerks wrote:I think the GUI was mutilated after the 2.5 series, and should not be considered an "upgrade." If you didn't like the good GUI, then you should have gone somewhere else and left us loyal users alone. Leave us alone, and stop trying to change a perfectly decent program just because it doesn't resemble other 3d programs. You aren't helping blender, you're mangling it.
Yes, yes. You already stated that in your other thread...

Mango

Post by Mango » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Why does it matter?

Blender 3 should be a bloody HUGE event...not just a whimper of a final stable released. Blender has always gone by very small increments at a time, as it is not a commercial product and therefore doesn't need to sell itself by going 'Blender 3 IS OUT!!!! oh wait its six months later and Blender 3.5 IS OUT!!!! BUY BUY BUY!!!!'

rok_ed

Post by rok_ed » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 am

tsgfilmwerks wrote:I think the GUI was mutilated after the 2.5 series, and should not be considered an "upgrade." If you didn't like the good GUI, then you should have gone somewhere else and left us loyal users alone. Leave us alone, and stop trying to change a perfectly decent program just because it doesn't resemble other 3d programs. You aren't helping blender, you're mangling it.
i am so sorry for your unpleasabt change ... But what actually blender has done is called a good choice because me .... Before the new ui ... I couldnt stand the ui was suiting such a great tool.
Is not always about yourself.... Its about us as a comunity.... What makes blender now soo good is that i has everything and more just because of the maya like controlls plus a ton of stuff wich feels like 3d studio max.... You know thats a major impact for blender ...kneeling tools that are 4000$in frice for only one computer and make that free ... That helps me a lot even if i am not working in the domain because .... I dont need to buy a 10times more expensive program than my computer only because i know how to use it.... What blender has made possible is more users like me that want proffesional tools and have no money to afford.... I wish i could had 4000bucs to buy maya or max .... Bevause for now thats the standard for most of companies ... But i hope someday .... Blender will reach the #1 3d tool in the world ... And i only have one thing to say ,Blender keep doing such a great job, i am proud of you Blender Team !!!!
And who knows maybe thanx to blender i will soon have a job in 3d and poursuite my career dream.
I knew blender from a long time ago .... But i ve got in love with since they changed the old ui

rok_ed

Post by rok_ed » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 am

rok_ed wrote:
i am so sorry for your unpleasabt change ... But what actually blender has done is called a good choice because me .... Before the new ui ... I couldnt stand the ui was suiting such a great tool.
Is not always about yourself.... Its about us as a comunity.... What makes blender now soo good is that i has everything and more just because of the maya like controlls plus a ton of stuff wich feels like 3d studio max.... You know thats a major impact for blender ...kneeling tools that are 4000$in frice for only one computer and make that free ... That helps me a lot even if i am not working in the domain because .... I dont need to buy a 10times more expensive program than my computer only because i know how to use it.... What blender has made possible is more users like me that want proffesional tools and have no money to afford.... I wish i could had 4000bucs to buy maya or max .... Bevause for now thats the standard for most of companies ... But i hope someday .... Blender will reach the #1 3d tool in the world ... And i only have one thing to say ,Blender keep doing such a great job, i am proud of you Blender Team !!!!
And who knows maybe thanx to blender i will soon have a job in 3d and poursuite my career dream.
texted from a phone i am not at my home
I knew blender from a long time ago .... But i ve got in love with since they changed the old ui

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:39 am

rok_ed wrote:texted from a phone i am not at my home
You must be near a black hole to account for the massive time dilation.

CoDEmanX

Re: Why not call the next release "Blender 3.0"

Post by CoDEmanX » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Tarion wrote:there are so many changes, improvements and new functions in the current 2.5 branch, so wouldn't it be wise to call the next stable release (currently 2.6) "Blender 3.0"?
I really don't think so. 2.50 could had been called 3.0 'cause of the massive changes, and 2.63 (bmesh) maybe 3.5.

But why a step in major version number for 2.66? 2.6x is still focusing on improvements and bugfixing, but i can't see any major changes like new UI concept / design, serious API changes, completely new features (could be 2.5d pipeline, similar to After Effects, replacing the VSE) or significant refactors (like planned for the dependency graph, expected to give a substantial performance improvement)

I'd personally like to see depsgraph refactor be released as 2.70, 3.0 maybe in a few years with blender fully multithreaded, compatible with Android and all new gameengine + api.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

rok_ed

Re: Why not call the next release "Blender 3.0"

Post by rok_ed » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 am

CoDEmanX wrote:
Tarion wrote:there are so many changes, improvements and new functions in the current 2.5 branch, so wouldn't it be wise to call the next stable release (currently 2.6) "Blender 3.0"?
I really don't think so. 2.50 could had been called 3.0 'cause of the massive changes, and 2.63 (bmesh) maybe 3.5.

But why a step in major version number for 2.66? 2.6x is still focusing on improvements and bugfixing, but i can't see any major changes like new UI concept / design, serious API changes, completely new features (could be 2.5d pipeline, similar to After Effects, replacing the VSE) or significant refactors (like planned for the dependency graph, expected to give a substantial performance improvement)

I'd personally like to see depsgraph refactor be released as 2.70, 3.0 maybe in a few years with blender fully multithreaded, compatible with Android and all new gameengine + api.
any way since the blender has become more user friendly i will prefer it over the 3ds max and maya only because is the best and i still think that blender will eat autodesk lucury programs away.... Since it can do all together....

j kaulfers

Post by j kaulfers » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 am

As a man with degrees in programming I can say there is a reason for the decimal system, they represent subtle changes being made as bugs are being fixed. It's a integral part of the software design process.

example : a program is released say 2.0 then the bugs start to show themselves and are gathered into groups ot topographical classes, some may be with input, some with output and so on. Then depending on the severity / importance the fixes are prioritised by group. Each decimal represents a group of fixes that are all implimented and working. This alows designers to keep accurate records of what is done and what is not.

With out such a system the whole process would be like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off banging into each others and causing more problems.

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:17 am

the release targets are actually not planned long-term, and what gets into new release depends on stability and timing (only bcon1-3 phase)
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:22 am

A brief description of the 2.6x roadmap is here:
http://www.blender.org/development/
The focus right now is getting old GSOC projects and such updated and integrated into Blender trunk.

While wanking over the version number is a popular and often noisy sport, traditionally Blender 3.0 has referred to the pure Python version of Blender - the one where you do an import Blender from Python and run the app.

Before you purists object, yes the 'pure Python' version will be mostly coded in C/C++ just like now. That's part of the glory and functionality of Python. And no, I'm not talking about the "headless" build where you can do an 'import blender' and have access to some of the code & data structs.