Crafter goes open source!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

wavk

Crafter goes open source!

Post by wavk » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:41 pm

Crafter goes GPL!

I'm proud to present the sources of Crafter, by popular demand :D

Crafter is an object oriented shader tree system with a smooth interface. It exports to YafRay and VirtuaLight. Support for renderman renderers could be added quite easily. Most of the development went into the creation of a good interface for shader creation.

Crafter is meant to be integrated into Blender, but was developed as a standalone app to speed up development. The source is provided as a Visual C++ 5.0 workspace, but it should easily port to linux and apple, because the only external library used is the very porteable opengl.

I'm releasing the sources because it would be a shame to let crafter die because of the lack of time for the development. Hopefully, Crafter will be integrated in Blender along with YafRay. And other people might be interested in the all opengl GUI source.

For more information on crafter, check www.funnyfarm.tv
Get your copy of the sources at www.funnyfarm.tv/thelab/craftersource.zip

Have fun,

Wybren van Keulen
Funny Farm

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:44 pm

Screenshot looks awesome!
The topic came up a few times in discussions the past weeks, I think it would be a great new tool for Blender. Not that I checked the code yet... :P

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:45 pm

ooo just tell me how to compile it to Apple and I'm happy :D

wavk

Post by wavk » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:52 pm

Hi ton, I'm pleased to hear you like it:) Oeeeh discussion, can't wait to see what's going to happen to the sources.

The apple. I don't think it'll be too hard a job for an apple coder. I did do some reading in the apple developer thingy. The base event and window code is also available for apple and that's all that's got to change. I did try some things on the mac, but I'm not really familiar with the tools. Should be pretty easy though.

There's already someone trying to get it to compile in linux, so that'll speed up things.

Have fun,

Wybren van Keulen

UglyMike

Congrats!!!

Post by UglyMike » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:22 pm

It's already made the front pages of both http://www.deathfall.com and of http://www.insidecg.com :P :P

thorax

Super interface

Post by thorax » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:41 pm

It was easy to pickup within a few minutes.. Shaped connectors
is a nice touch, also the Spline-connectors. IT was a bit slow
on my laptop, but you did say this is for OpenGL which means
you would need a fast graphics card. I tried it out on my faster machine
with the Radeon, and it worked like a charm.. I think it would be
cool to adjust the panel system in blender to be like the GUI for this
where possible, its more intuitive.. Particularly the "bricks" system for showing object relationships..

The GUI would also be needed in future systems such as with the
construction history and the game development environment.
Connecting clients to Verse servers, pretty much anywhere there needs to be a object relationship.

I haven't looked at the sources, but the interface is nice!!

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:59 am

My only observation, which i posted over at elysiun.com, is that it is too slow. The interface that is. Where blender is responsive even on a slower machine without the greatest 3d acceleration Crafter is a slow turtle. That and the skinned mouse. I would love to just have my normal OS mouse cursor be used. It would greatly speed up my positioning the mouse... right now on certain systems this is the biggest problem... I try and move the mouse but since it too is part of the gui it moves so sluggishly that its not worth my time to use the GUI. So I guess that brings my issue back to speed... But those are my opinions.... take'm or leavem.

wavk

Post by wavk » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:11 am

I'll take 'm :) Could you try www.funnyfarm.tv/thelab/crafterfast.zip? It's got the default cursor and almost no tranparency and some other speed improvements. I thought I replaced the cursor for other reasons as well, but it seems to work fine. And you're right, even on my system the skinned mouse stays behind a bit from the os mouse.

Also, I didn't do much optimalisation, because I didn't have to so far. I think someone who knows more about opengl can get it much faster.

UglyMike: YEEEHA!

Hi thorax, I had thought about that too, this interface would be perfect for the construction history. And maybe for the game engine as well. It would be great to get rid of the panels with 100+ buttons and inroduce a visual representation of the scene, showing only the necessary buttons.

Have fun,

Wybren van Keulen

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:43 pm

Cool... I like the fact that my mouse doesn't disappear now... It still reacts very slowly and doesn't register mouse clicks all the time. I had to click several times to add a material node. But still... ITs a great piece of work... I hope this is something that can possibly be implemented in blender as it would make texturing very similar to maya and other apps as well as making texturing a lot cleaner & easier to understand.

Homer_S

Post by Homer_S » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:52 pm

Is anyone working on integrating this with blender? I sure hope so. It looks great BTW. :D