Did someone hijack Blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

blenderstang

Did someone hijack Blender

Post by blenderstang » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:49 am

I found this link on craigslist. Looks like someone has taken the blender code and packaged it as their own, and are now selling it. Or they may just be selling their training materials. Either way its fishy to me

http://illusionmage.com/index3.htm

mikethedj4

Post by mikethedj4 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:59 am

Looks to me as if they have stole it, as the screenshots is Blender without a doubt the 2.49 version, and the 2.5 version.

Action needs to be taken with this fool
Train Insane or Remain The Same
There's No Room In A Warriors Heart For Self Doubt

Butch_Arri

Post by Butch_Arri » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 pm

I think I've seen this particular ad. before. It is kind of screwy, but from what I can understand I don't think it's illegal to use open source software as the basis of commercial software, but I wouldn't pay for this because it doesn't seem like any coding changes/improvements/additions have been made that would give the application more value than the real blender.

mikethedj4

Post by mikethedj4 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Butch_Arri wrote:I think I've seen this particular ad. before. It is kind of screwy, but from what I can understand I don't think it's illegal to use open source software as the basis of commercial software, but I wouldn't pay for this because it doesn't seem like any coding changes/improvements/additions have been made that would give the application more value than the real blender.
The dude left the copyright on the original images. Also you may have seen it here.
Train Insane or Remain The Same
There's No Room In A Warriors Heart For Self Doubt