3D Labs Graphic card

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

You don't want a P4. Stick with the duals or go Athlon. (Running linux with multiprocessor support would be even better)

thorax

Post by thorax »

Why would you want to do that?

Could this be a plea to thwart a need for Intel processors
given that they are patented and probably have functionality
that is not possible to purchase without them and need to
move to Linux and AMD processors which may be more inefficient and possibly incompatible?

Or is there something wrong with the P4's?

Also why would a dual processor solution be better, can you give me examples?

The only thing I can imagine is that one processor would be held in a busy wait on some resource while the other caries on the computation, or if the need is for realtime computing (where you can always guarantee
something will get executed without fail and ontime).

I was addressing the problem with the preceived efficiency of the
computer, and my solution was to get a faster machine, its reasonable..
Another solution would be to get more memory, but he has a gig..
Getting a faster machines increases the bus speed, and the bus speed is ultimately what affects the speed of your machine, so does the speed of your ram, your hard drive and the width of your bus.. What can also affect it is the use of RAID drive configurations.. And the architecture of the motherboard.. If I made a motherboard that was twice the size of a normal one with components distributed purportionally, I can guarantee you machine would be noticeably slower, just because the motherboard is larger.. Of course it could also be all the extra interrupts executed, spyware, viruses, trojan hoarses, rootkits, running copies of applications that should have been killed, operating systems (Windows?) that will perceivably slow down your machine.

But a kill all is faster CPU with faster bus.

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Why I don't like P4s?
Less work per cycle. A very bad cost/performance ratio/ They made their processors slow on purpose. That's why they can achieve higher hz ratings.

A P3 1.1ghz can outperform a 1.6ghz P4.

The whole front side bus thing is bs as well, because for example, a "533mhz fsb" P4 board + chip is just 133mhz * 4 pipes. It's not as signifigant as if the bus was really 533mhz.

Anyways parallel processing is much better than a single processor. (especially a P4) With P3's you don't have the Intel processors that were made to perform more slowly to boost sales, plus if you've read anything about fuzzy logic you'll know why they are of a signifigant advantage.

If you can use them properly, they are much better than a single processor. And it is in my opinion that with Linux you can manage multiple processors much more effectively than Windows.