Sega help Discreet with 3ds Max 6 developement

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

hpygocrazy

Sega help Discreet with 3ds Max 6 developement

Post by hpygocrazy » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:44 am

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6072492.html

This is something that would be good for Blender. We should try to get well established companies to develope for Blender. Companies like Sega have a lot of resources when it comes to developers. Coporate support will help Blender developement jump by leaps and bounds instead of by a crawl.

Please no Flames, this is just an idea so if you don't like it that's fine.

NateTG

Post by NateTG » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:07 am

I couldn't read the article ("page cannot be displayed") but I think companies would have to have some motivation to develop for blender. I am sure discreet is paying big bucks, or promising big things. What could blender give?

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:53 am

I think this is only a matter of time as well as blenders ongoing developmen.

I have just got a job using blender, I have developed an ASE (3dsMAX) import script as a part of my wor.

I will be able to opensource it later on.

This is a small example of commercial work going opensource.

thorax

Post by thorax » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:35 am

Maybe we should advertise?

Let me see, point out all the good stuff about blender that makes
sense to companies:

1. Its got a large untapped market.
2. Its made up mostly of people from age 18 to 40.
3. It takes up less than 5 megabytes of diskspace.
4. It does modelling, animation, compositing, audio-mixing, games (??).
5. Its open source and has GNU license and a Business license.
6. It stores everything in a single file called a blend file, it can run on any filesystem, and its files are forward and backward compatible with any version of blender. And these files can be used like libraries, thus other blend files can borrow from a previously created blend file, objects, materials, scenes, lighting setups, animation.
7. It runs on any computer.
8. It supports subdivision surfaces, parametric surfaces, polygons.
9. Its very fast and efficient.
10. Takes less time to render than any 3D package on the market.

What are some other ones?

11. The source is developed on a CVS revision control system that maintains that edits to the source are never lost, so if bugs are found in a new version of blender, they can be fixed or revert back to a previous version of blender, or can see the differences made to the source code to hunt down and kill the developer who added the bugs (I'm joking).

12. Sources will compile on Windows without Visual C++, will compile on any linux machine, on Mac's, etc..

13. Has been in development since 1995 (??), rewritten for the SGI's from an Amiga version that was developed since the late 80s. (showing it wasn't born yesterday).

14. Was developed as an inhouse application to cut costs on software purchases and win media production contracts, wasn't sold as shelf-software until sometime later.

15. Has the same interface on every machine it runs on, no need to
reteach users, once they know the interface they know it from now on.

16. One version runs on a Pocket PC.

17. Versions of blender with the game blender environment can produce standalone games, realtime presentations, architectural walkthroughs with interactive elements, web-content.

18. Has an internal scripting language based on Python that allows users to write scripts to create objects, read/write object formats, control animations, interface with external hardware and software, be used as an interface for other programs that lack a 3D interface, etc..

Anymore??

Someone think of some more..

PS- We could put with it a glosary of terms, like what an object is,
what blender is, what a filesystem is, what is source code, what
is GNU, what is linux, etc.. There is a great chance nobody knows
what any of these are but would still have great use for blender, how a shelf-sold commercial software package is different from a in-house develop software package (emphasizing the part of "needed" use over "wanted" use, commercial 3D packages tend to be developed to appeal as a form of entertainment, not to be used, Blender was designed to be used for creating sellable works, it was designed to be developed in tandem with media development, meaning it can be developed inhouse without requiring the artists to wait until the newest revision and allows easily for all previous work to be carried on over despite the differences in feature sets, also allows artists to use older versions of blender at any time in the process without compromising the utility of the current
toolset..).

Note that your current users will tend to have scenes and projects that will be lost to the past, particularly if __your_software_manufacturer__
phases out feature sets that were used in previous animations, and has leveraged you onto a new package that doesn't allow you to use old scenes, particularly if they split the development to produce parallel suites of packages also __your_package_is_most_likely__ so huge and cumbersome to manage licenses for it tends to require special configurations to coexist with itself, so even stepping back to a previous
version to utilize features that were lost with the current version would
be futile. Blender can coexist with 10+ versions of itself quite nicely..

Blender can have its rendering easily distribtued to machines that currently as of yet have no installment of the package.. Let's see you
do that with your software package.. Also blender takes less than a
few seconds to install before rendering your project files..

Friday13

Post by Friday13 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:53 am

Does this mean that 3ds max 6 will have the Sonic logo? :P

BTW, i agree on the advertising. Maybe making some Blender banners so users can put it on their websites? (something like "all images on this site made with Blender") And also, livening up the Blender forums others than this one and elysiun (they're quite dead, and i'm the only one who seems to care about it)

/me wants to see news about every new Blender release on the most popular 3D websites.

thorax

Post by thorax » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:18 pm

I'm sitting here watching "Out of the present" on DVD,
about "Sergei Krikalev" the cosmonaut that was left up while Russian Government collapsed.. The thing I like about the film is every is so normal, I mean the way a spacestation is treated, the hum of the station, how they work, is so normal, nothing special made about it, its no different (or made to seem that way) than working on a ocean liner.. Or I get that feeling..

Now if blender could be used like that, like it was a part of the process
amidst the beauty of it, when its a part of getting stuff done, to do things than made up to be like something great with every step,
I'm sure it would be more widely accepted and common..

halibut

Post by halibut » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:39 pm

ideasman wrote:I think this is only a matter of time as well as blenders ongoing developmen.

I have just got a job using blender, I have developed an ASE (3dsMAX) import script as a part of my wor.

:D are you working on an ASE export too? i've been dieing to get my hands on one. I dont want to learn 3dsmax but i need the format for games devlopment (unreal tournament 2003 uses ase format);

halibut

ASE

Post by halibut » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:39 pm

ideasman wrote:I think this is only a matter of time as well as blenders ongoing developmen.

:D are you working on an ASE export too? i've been dieing to get my hands on one. I dont want to learn 3dsmax but i need the format for games devlopment (unreal tournament 2003 uses ase format);

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:56 pm

No, but an ASE exporter exists, have a look around.
I have no need for it so I did'nt bother.

niket

Post by niket » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:58 pm

Well I just checked discreet
and come to know ver6.0 is out and integarted with mentalray support.:twisted:
One day yafray is also integrate with blender..hope so :?

hpygocrazy

Post by hpygocrazy » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:38 pm

I also read an article on InsidCG.com or CGChannel.com about the use of linux in the movie industry. It stated how movie studios have hundreds of programmers working on whatever the studio needs instead of the 20 to 30 programmers software companies have. It also talked about how filmgimp was born from the movie studio programmers and so forth.

Once blender reaches version 2.3 or 3 where the interface is good the code is clean and it works really well (I crash blender ever now and then) then I think it would be wise to persuade movie studios to use and improve blender. It could help blender by many folds.

sten

Post by sten » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:13 am

oh, thorax is back :P !