Siggraph tuesday 29

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ton
Site Admin

Siggraph tuesday 29

Post by ton » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:43 pm

Another quick report from the 3d frontlines!

- yesterdays BOF went well, lotsa people (about 40). Maybe i talked to long about all ins and outs of the blender.org projects... would have loved more time to see peoples work. But that was compensated with a visit after to the "finnish" bar (Henry's) at 5th avenue. where we had loadsof fun + saw very interesting works from Lee and Bassam.
- BOF feedback was positive, not much criticism or complaints, most people seemed quite happy. Of course the UNDO topic came up, and the everlasting lack of IMPORT/EXPORT. Especially that last topic we really need to make progress. Improving modeling tools (curves/meshes) is high at the list too.
- I promised for next year a (revolutionary) 2.5 release, and at least the functional/tech specs for Blender3... maybe a prototype demo. (I promise, you all do it, deal? :)

- Siggraph seems to be much smaller than past years, i think its 50-60% of the attendees. This can also be noticed in the presentations (no full theatres) and the smaller tradeshow

A few quick tradeshow news bits:
- NO SGI or SUN... first time ever!
- Apple is there, first time too. but only with a training
- AliasWavefront changed name to Alias and have a new logo. What does the logo remind you of... erm?
- Softimage redesigned interface... looks ok
- Nvidia has extremely impressive realtime 3d stuff.
- compared to booth sizes, maya and softimage still have marketing money to spend. Discreet (3ds) fell back in size

I only walked around quickly for half an hour, too many meetings....

Oh, I left my power adapter at yesterdays BOF, it wasnt there anymore... so my laptop battery tells me quit... laterz all!

-Ton-

Pol

Post by Pol » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:17 pm

Damn for the logo of alias ... scandalous .... nothing to say ...

xype

Post by xype » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:44 am

The Alias logo is a combination of Blender's shapie and LightWave's 3D-iness, imho. I think Alias will have a hard time competing against Cinema et al, after all the features they spend most of the time on are nice R&D project, but noone doing a logo animation really needs PaintFX to paint flowers.

Even if Blender doesn't add too much features but only improves efficiency (and markets it well) it cancapture quite a marketshare.

theeth

Post by theeth » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:58 pm

scandalous!

ok, for how much do we sue? :twisted:

:P

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

thorax

Re: Siggraph tuesday 29

Post by thorax » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:23 pm

ton wrote: - BOF feedback was positive, not much criticism or complaints, most people seemed quite happy. Of course the UNDO topic came up, and the everlasting lack of IMPORT/EXPORT. Especially that last topic we really need to make progress. Improving modeling tools (curves/meshes) is high at the list too.

Import/Export will be more easily solved with a better Python API and
making of scripts and pluggable modules. The more code that goes into blender the chances are it will become slower as is seeming to be the case already..

The UNDO topic is more of a new user problem than a poweruser problem? Considering that you could have yoru blend file saved every minute.. Is that actually better?
- I promised for next year a (revolutionary) 2.5 release, and at least the functional/tech specs for Blender3... maybe a prototype demo. (I promise, you all do it, deal? :)
I think that would be good, probably spend most of the next year documenting what is going on.. Anyone who works on the source would
also not or should not get their work put in unless they produce docs describing how to use the their features.. New features should be optional (preferences?), its possible the users may stick with older versions of blender due to confusion about newer versions of blender.. I'm still on 2.25 because I don't know what I can trust to be there in the interface..
- Siggraph seems to be much smaller than past years, i think its 50-60% of the attendees. This can also be noticed in the presentations (no full theatres) and the smaller tradeshow

It was on the downside after 1996.. I mean spirtually it was getting
worse.. In 1994-1995 there was a lot of hype about a need for artists
and animators.. And about 1997 people recognized it was overdone..

I imagine the games show (E3) gets more interest.. I doubt terrorism could be blaimed (??). I was there in 1995 when it reached 35,000 attendees, 1996 and 1997 were also very huge.. IT seems like its been going down ever since then.. There were about 40,000 at the New Orleans one in 1996 and in 2000 felt like 20,000 or less, atleast there wasn't as much enthusiasm or partying..
A few quick tradeshow news bits:
- NO SGI or SUN... first time ever!
- Apple is there, first time too. but only with a training
- AliasWavefront changed name to Alias and have a new logo. What does the logo remind you of... erm?
Now they can soak up all the ego and history and representation,
it was Alias all along... Oh and that sign, it really does look like a rip off
of the blender logo.. Did you have the blender logo trademarked?
If not, nothing you can really do about it..

Note Chris Landreth left the company.. And admitted that the facial animation "Bingo" was essentially relative vertex keyed. I read that in 3DWorld. He was a science viz artist as lawrence livermore before he ever got into Alias, he was an art hacker.. He's revisiting "The End"
style animation in a new work..

Did I ever tell you about when the A/W merged in 1996 Alias used it as an excuse to convert the Wavefront users to Alias products, years before Maya came out.. What was the point in doing that if they own both product lines?

Oh to have the ability to rewrite history..
- Softimage redesigned interface... looks ok
- Nvidia has extremely impressive realtime 3d stuff.
- compared to booth sizes, maya and softimage still have marketing money to spend. Discreet (3ds) fell back in size

I only walked around quickly for half an hour, too many meetings....

I did that once.. Its hard to do.. I mean it could be like a marathon,
grabing freebies as you go along.. Are they still pushing that "card"
method of registering people from the conference? I remember
when you could get freebies without registering with the companies, now
the freebies are probably smaller and require a registration pass
and a 30 minute seminar on some small 3D app nobody really cares about, like a CAD/CAM package..
Oh, I left my power adapter at yesterdays BOF, it wasnt there anymore... so my laptop battery tells me quit... laterz all!

-Ton-
Time to go to the beach..
I'm sure you can find another down at a Frye's or something.. I guess San Diego has a Frye's..

thorax

Post by thorax » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:28 am

Name change my foot..
http://www.digitalproducer.com/2003/07_ ... as0717.htm

And who's 20th aniversary, Alias or Wavefront's?

PS-
I stand corrected, I had no idea Alias was around as long as Wavefront..
This all occured about the time Tron came out.. Well it won't matter,
years from now people will end up seeing everything as a sequence of events and get it wrong.. Wavefront felt better developed than Alias when I got a hold of it..

Composer, Kinemation(TM), Dynamation(TM) BTW is Wavefront's packages.. And Poweranimator and Alias are the same package just with different sets of tools.. Alias was a modeller strictly and powernimator added animation features like bones.. They also didn't mention "IPR" in this article which was TDI's package.. And a lot of Maya modelling capabilities were ripped out of 3Design, another TDI package.. Its interesting how they don't mention TDI, especially since Wavefront purchased them before Alias and Wavefront were purchased by SGI.