PLEASE HELP - blender 2.28

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

KRUChY

PLEASE HELP - blender 2.28

Post by KRUChY »

I'm very sorry that i'm posting this. I'm Newbie in Linux and Blender and i can't run my favorite program - blender 2.28.
I've downloaded a lot ot versions and none of it runs. Instalation says "dowload, extract and run blender..." and nothig happens... :(
Only Blender_Creator_2.23 runs fine, (blender publisher 2.25 don't work) without any problems. ??
So after week instaling, downloading (even makeing it from source) nothing works... so here are few questions:

1. What is the difference between Blender 2.28 and Blender Creator?
2. What is the difference between Blender Publisher and Blender?
3. Can any one tell me how can I run blender on Slackware 9.0 ??

I'm depresed... :oops:
Please HELP !

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Re: PLEASE HELP - blender 2.28

Post by Michel »

You have trouble downloading the binaries of blender? Have you tried the Downloads link here on the left? If that doesn't work for you, then something is wrong with your browser. But I doubt there's the problem :)

Unzipping the .tar.gz file should give you the blender executable along with a set of additional language files.

About the differences between blender 2.28, blender creator and blender publisher: blender 2.28 is open source and the other two are not :D
Also, blender 2.28 is a week old, the others are much, much older and have less features - well don't begin about the gameengine ok? :wink: :wink:

If you have problems starting blender, then you should post the problems you're experiencing in a little more detail.

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

If you want to know about what features have been added with newer versions please read the release notes!

I mean 2.28's release notes were even posted in the news post on this site!

Timothy

Post by Timothy »

install windows and download the windows version :)

So it doesn't show you an error when you try to start Blender on Linux?
Try opening a terminal and starting it in there

KRUChY

Download

Post by KRUChY »

I've downloaded .tar.gz form Blender/Download site elier, and even from other sites.
I unzip this package and i see blender executable, but when it should execute nothing happen or linux gives me this: "blender program can't be found..." ????

I just don't get it. Everything should be fine, but it isn't.

:cry:

In this package, are no language pack... or maybe i can't see it. (don't matter).

And yeah, i've got windows and i've got 3dmax - but i just don't like it.
Microsoft SUCKS !!

open soure that's future. :wink:

Tomorow i'll post more details about error in creating blender from the source.

xype

Re: Download

Post by xype »

KRUChY wrote:Microsoft SUCKS !!
open soure that's future. :wink:

So stuff that works "SUCKS" and stuff that doesn't is "the future". Nice theory.

*hugshismac*

KRUChY

Post by KRUChY »

microsoft doesn't work right...
(and you know it)
so for what we are paying... :?

cessen

Post by cessen »

And yeah, i've got windows and i've got 3dmax - but i just don't like it.
Microsoft SUCKS !!
Despite what most large corperate businesses (touting IP law) would have us believe, software and its creators are not one and the same. Windows is not Microsoft, and Microsoft is not Windows.

Software is a tool. If it's useful, use it. If it's not, don't.

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Re: Download

Post by Michel »

KRUChY wrote:I've downloaded .tar.gz form Blender/Download site elier, and even from other sites.
I unzip this package and i see blender executable, but when it should execute nothing happen or linux gives me this: "blender program can't be found..." ????
Hi,

By the above statement I get the feeling you are trying to start blender by typing 'blender' (without the quotes). Since the path in which the blender binary is, isn't located in your search path, you should start blender by typing './blender' (again, without the quotes).
This is very basic unix / linux command execution, I'm assuming that you already knew this, but the error message you give in your reply, gives me the impression that you made this small mistake. If I'm wrong by this assumption, I'm truly sorry; I never intend to offend you! I just want to help you getting blender to run on your system.

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

KRUChY

Post by KRUChY »

Thank you Michael, you got me. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I was realy doing this mistake. I will execute my blender as soon as i get home (i'm at work now).
Some time you just think you're doing everything wright and there goes ups... i did it again :roll:

I hope that will end my misurable, tragic faliure... :wink: