If Blender Had....

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

JA-forreal

If Blender Had....

Post by JA-forreal »

Wouldn't it be great if we had Blender scenes that we could use as guides for our work? Or wouldn't it rock to have materials that are linked to auto lighting scene setups? These scene settings and auto lighted linked materials can be easily altered to custom settings-

Scenes like-

-A park scene
-A living room scene
-A city street scene
-A lakeside scene
-A beachfront scene
-An underwater scene
-A tech lab scene

When Materials work and look the way they do in real life without much tweaking-

-Glass looks like glass in any render setting. Maybe the glass material will be linked to light type categories that will always make the glass look good in any scene.

-Maybe all materials and texture types could be linked to light type categories. These light setups could based on some tested and proven 3d lighting setup used by some Hollywood 3d stage lighting master or a 3d computer scientist lighting principles.

I have spend allot of my productive 3d development time doing prep work for scenes that I will add 3d objects to. I always whished that so called pro apps could com loaded with scene tools that are ready for production.

If XSI and Maya, Max, And Lightwave are used in Hollywood productions why aren't the apps pre-loaded with at least some scene elements like the lighted and textured shoe that was used in Shrek. Or a lighted and textured spaceship haul section that was used on Deep Space 9 Series. A fully rigged, textured and lighted Doom character with some in game action frames. If an app was filled with some of the Hollywood scene files from movies that will all know well, that scene data alone would be worth the price of that 3d app.

The area of 3d scene development will be best covered in Blender beyond any app that I see out there today. So many 3d Blender artist are willing to give up some of there scene elements in complete ready to be used as guides for one own custom scenes. Ton, Blender founder has talked of selling a cdrom packed with some of his former companies NaN's old commercial scene files.

But we still have to realize that such 3d data would not make an inexperienced or a bad 3d artist a great 3d artist. This data will help 3d students to learn professional 3d working methods that will aid them on the job. They will thus be more qualified to do professional work if they know what professional work looks like.

And of course no 3d production house will give up their core 3d data that makes them unique in the industry. But Pro 3d house table scraps would be enough to add more value a 3d app any day. If Blue Sky gave up the old granny bunny file I would try to eat my hat if I wore one.

I should have some Blender production elements to give up myself. I feel the need to give back to the Blender group folks who helped me to do good 3d.

If any of you remember the Landis Blender renders , he's writing a magazine article and tutorial. That's what I'm talk'n bout. Yeah.

Landis

Post by Landis »

JA-forreal,

No...THAT is what I am talkin' bout :wink: . While writing my tut I focused on explaining to people who are new to Blender not 3D, that 3D is problem solving. I wrote the tut on the basis that I would discuss various solutions to each problem ( an example of a "problem" would be having to texture a particular model to look like a specific object such as an apple :wink: ) and then ultimately choose the best (most efficient and logical) answer and run with it. Though this is a good idea it helped me stumble upon a GREAT idea for another project to start on this site or the Blender3D one. I have not had a chance to run this be Ton yet but here goes. There will be a section of the site probably in the tut section or downloads or something...that is not relaly important.....that will be based off "PROBLEM -SOLUTIONS". There will be a list of various problems. The user could select a problem and see how different people apraoched that particular problem. I think that it is imperative to uderstand how others work...this is very different from the traditional method (tutorials) of showing (or TELLING rather) an individual how to do a specific task. This way people could discover different methods through other peoples working habits. Now, I recorded myself completing the tut I am providing for the mag and it will be provided on the cover cd. This would be good if others would do this for the "PROBLEM-SOLUTIONS"idea....you could literally see everyone solving one problem differently in realtime.

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

Great idea Landis! This type of setup could really help all of us in our problem solving. This "think tank" of problems and solutions would be of much aid to all Blender users.
Last edited by JA-forreal on Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Landis

Post by Landis »

I also started a new thread regarding this idea and some others over at Elysiun:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14213

Cheers,
Landis

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

Also a corresponding tutorial .blend scene file database would be needed to give students access to the process that the were learning about. We more advanced Blender users could contribute some scene files to this database to get things going.

thorax

Post by thorax »

I have a discussion in a parallel message about the possibility of using sound in a scene to be rendered by say clever sound rendering technologies. There is a huge field in sound rendering using Smalltalk,
maybe someone knows something about doing sound rendering for 3D environments.. Imagine having rooms that are pre-rendered for sound the way a radiosity calculation precomputes lighting of a room.. I think the computations would be similar..