Status of Yafray Rendering

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Mario1981

Post by Mario1981 »

I'm for integration too ... but i think (and i can be wrong) that the better thing is to define an interface to the blender material and texture section to define a plugin system such that a new render would be easily integrated with a plugin that export material data structure to the new render file format. I know that this is far from easy but this is only a suggestion and i hope it will implemented sometime :)

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

OK intergrate or not.
There is one thing that bothers me about python. It does not pan with the middle mouse button like the blender windows do. Same goes for the zoom.

eeshlo

Post by eeshlo »

Landis wrote:
THAT is what I meant by procedural baby...and you are in there man....dude....I already have a fully textured airman just waiting to be ran through your work...is there a way that you can export your work as a script now that all of us have bad mouthed it :wink: ? If not for me do it for the Airman...c'mon..look... :cry: he's crying . :wink:
Well, I would be happy to, but there is no script, just C++ code for Blender & yafray. The texture mapping additions will be in the next version of yafray or the next after that. But besides that, there is more to Blender texturing than just the mapping options, I still have to do the layer mixing code. So unless you use just a single texture channel, which I really can't imagine you would, the results would probably not quite match the blender render.
ztonzy wrote: I would love too see it, is it possible to make a hybrid rendered, so we dont need to use raytracer on certain objects on a scene?
I suppose it's possible but Blender is not really designed for that. Though there are hints in comments in the code where there seemingly used to be some raytracing experiment. Would be interesting to see how that was handled.

Anyway, the good news is that I got Blender to compile again, so I can finally get back to work on all this.

NateTG

Post by NateTG »

three cheers for eeshlo: the people's coder! :!:

beatabix

Post by beatabix »

eeshlo: guitargeek has made a mixmode shader-block that includes all of the blender layer modes and more, so you could include this in your xml.
is this any help?

later
BEAT

leinad13

Post by leinad13 »

Any work done on integration is great. I would like to help but im not that good a programmer, (im rubbish at maths). Plus i havnt been able to compile for ages. [DNA.c Error, getting on my nerves in Cygwin].
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

eeshlo

Post by eeshlo »

beatabix wrote:eeshlo: guitargeek has made a mixmode shader-block that includes all of the blender layer modes and more, so you could include this in your xml.
is this any help?
Well, blender uses some different methods of mixing the texture channels. For the blendfile materials converted by the LF script I did it by chaining patterns making use of just basic mul/add/sub/not/etc blocks, but this resulted in very long chains for even the simplest texture materials. For yafray it will be easier to program it as a single blenderShader. Guitargeek's mixblock has some very specific, specialized mix modes which all have their own use.

More good news, the builtin export is working again, now the real work starts...

Dani

Post by Dani »

Hello eeshlo!

Your idea about calling yafray as a plugin is really great! I'm for this type of integration!

Code On!!

Ciao
Dani will be back some day

aersoy

Post by aersoy »

Hello,

The problem I have with the current method (Yable) is not using Python to export and then render, but the duplication of effort to adjust materials and light settings.

Whether it be Python or integration, Yafray should always make use of the properties I set within Blender. Otherwise a big and important part of Blender is of no use.

Thanks,

jandro

Post by jandro »

Extractor works they way you need. Check it at :
http://www.gvc.net/~jmatthews/extractor

Also what eeshlo is doing works the same way, getting the data from blender.

leinad13

Post by leinad13 »

Hey why has everyone been using Yable, the extractor is much better, i didnt have much time to play with my new toy, but does it render blender procedurals?

Anyway great script, i think its better than Yable :P. I think you and the Yable author should compete for the best exporter, hopefully then we will have some great scripts.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

aersoy

Post by aersoy »

Hi,
leinad13 wrote:Hey why has everyone been using Yable, the extractor is much better, ...
I have tried Extractor 0.0.4 and it was impressing, though it failed to export my scene completely. Now that I see there are a few new versions out, I better give it a new shot. Thanks for reminding! :)

Alper,

kniffo

help wanted?

Post by kniffo »

Well, eeshlo - your idea of using only C++ is the best choice because of speed. If you need some help - I am just looking for some interesting things concerning yafray and blender as well. :) Just write a mail...

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek »

Hey, thanks for the comments on extractor. It was designed with the use of crafter or other XML generator in mind. You should check out the newest version. It allows for the creation of a series of arealights from the faces of a mesh.

I would love to see a full blown yaf plugin, but there are always issues of new features in one product or another, and with the advent of the new plugin based yaf, new shaderblocks will be more easily codable and available. It's hard to say really. I think as the python api matures, there will be better integration possible through a script, and also I heard the next version of blender will allow for the running of scripts from a menu button or something like that. As I code Extractor, I am finding a lot of things I would love to see in the API. Perhaps I should get on that coding team :)

CurtisS

Post by CurtisS »

I thought I would add my vote to integrating Yafray. I am awful at dealing with Python scripts! I just don't have the programmer's mind. :?