New FWD-REV Teaser

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Pablosbrain

New FWD-REV Teaser

Post by Pablosbrain » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:34 pm

I know this really isn't a coding thing or development of blender bit of news but I thought I'd post the info so those that may not make it over to elysiun.com that often would have a chance to see and comment on it.

Though the full animated short is not completed we posted our first teaser for our animated short. You can view it and much more about the animated short at www.fwd-rev.com. I also just updated and added this months art gallery page. Check it out and let us know what you think.
paul

dreamsgate

Post by dreamsgate » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:11 am

That was too cool!. I love the animation, it looks very natural!

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:33 pm

Thank you!
There are a few things I still need to do a lot of testing with as far as the animation goes... like the drills cable. But it did turn out pretty good for our first test. I can't wait till some sort of external renderer support is built in and ready for some testing... I've got a lot of stuff to push at those renderers. I would love to have depth of field as well as some GI. I'm not too worried about render times as I'll have quite a few machines at my disposal for rendering. But again... thanks for your comment!

Any comments from other people out there?

engalicorn

Post by engalicorn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:10 am

Wow... very convincing

I see what you mean with the drill cable...

i was trying to do something with cables in one of my animations... it was a copy of the Pixar animation with the lamps... my first real crack at blender animation

anyway... i was unable to make a convincing cable coming out of the lamp... i tryed something with having like 20 amatures in a row... however that was impossible to animate in the end

one of the things im hoping for in blender is different kinds of physics... not just intaction between bouncing objects but things like cloth and fluids,

it will be interesting if you figure out the cable... maybe i will revive that animation someday myself

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:57 pm

Thank you,
Yeah... For this animation I'm gonna have to do it several different ways for the different scenes. Some scenes I will probably have to do something with armatures and then for others I may have to use lattices. We'll see. A while back, 2 or 3 months, I put together a proposal for some sort of Spline bone IK. Here is the link if anyone is interested.
http://www.pablosbrain.com/blenderideas/splineik2/
Basically it would add a bone type... so you would have a normal bone or a spline bone. Spline bones would then be able to bend and deform just like a spline. Don't know if anyones looked further into this as a real possibility. I know it would add a lot of functionality for what I want to do. It may also make fakeing some cloth effects easier.
Who knows... maybe some day! Right now I'm mainly hopeing for some external renderer support that takes all the material data out of blender so I don't have to spend time coding shaders. I mainly want the ability to do DOF in my renders. But again... maybe someday! :)

Pablosbrain

Spline IK Stuff

Post by Pablosbrain » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:03 pm

And as I was browsing today I just happen to run across this link to a piece on maya spline ik stuff. I'll add this to my proposal document when I get a chance.. (Actually... just added it)
http://www.animationartist.com/2003/08_ ... torial.htm

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:46 am

I've been able to animate a cable using a curve instead of armatures. I've experimented with it using vertex keys and it works great. Just assign a small circle to the path BevOb field to make the cable thickness any size you want. Then start animating the curve points using vertex keys like you would for modifying a mesh animation. The end result will be an animated cable that flows smoothly and exactly the way you want.

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:45 pm

I will have to try that out for this project. Thanks for the idea/suggestion!

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:19 pm

I think that this may work for me... but I have one question. Is there a way to parent the ends of the path curve to an empty or bone so moving my object will automatically move the end of the path and keep them in contact? From what I know of there isn't and I will have to manually check each frame to make sure the end of the cable/curve is in the proper location.