How about those features

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sparkus

How about those features

Post by sparkus » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:47 am

Hi@all

I'm using Blender for over 2 years now and i looove it =) But i'm missing some kinda useful functions of Blender, which shall be implemented asap! First of all: an undo/redo funtion! It happens soo often, that you try to tweak something an end up with a messed up scene. And you don't always remember to save! A second nice feature would be, that Blender asks you to save your file (if changed) on quiting!

And please don't reply to this posting with something like "Code it yourself!" If i could, i would have done it already =/ So i ask some coders who know, how to do it. I believe it would improve Blender very much!

Thank you,

Frank Thomas
Mediatechnologies and Design
University of Applied Sciences Hagenberg, AT

theeth

Post by theeth » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:03 am

Undo/Redo: just turn the autosave setting on and play with the interval of time between saves.

Save when quiting: Blender saves a quit.blend when quiting in your temporary files.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

sparkus

Post by sparkus » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:50 am

Sorry, but both ways are only (more or less elegant) workarounds and no real solutions. In which time interval will autosave save your file? once a minute? Usually I change more than one value per minute.

This posting has not been written to get some dirty workarounds. It shall open a general discussion if such a feature would be useful and _improve_ Blender (and to inspire one of the coders *g*).

Regards,

Frank Thomas
Mediatechnologies and Design
University of Applied Sciences Hagenberg, AT

TheFallenWeeble

Post by TheFallenWeeble » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:34 pm

With all due respect, these features have been brought to the developers' attention. As a blender user for 2+ years, you should be well aware of that. Personally, I like the quit.blend... it could stand for some documentation, but we all know that and it's being worked on. Regarding, undo/redo, that topic's been hashed and rehashed so many times it's not even funny. That, too, is being worked on. Take a look at the projects page, the coders' forum(s), and the latest news update about the Blender roadmap. It appears to me that these guys are well aware of what "needs" to get done and are working on getting it there.

Have patience... and in the meantime, use theeth's suggestions and blend some more cool stuff for everyone to see.

</rant>

Damn... I'm in some kinda mood today. Apologies for any lack of tact in the above post.

sparkus

Post by sparkus » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:54 pm

"As a blender user for 2+ years, you should be well aware of that."

Sorry, Blender is only _one_ of the many applications i use... I don't live for it. I use it when i need it, so understand that i have neither time nor interest to study the development or the structure of this site. From time to time i visit blender3d.org to look for some new versions, thats it, nothing more. It appeared to me that the developers are only working on new modelling/rendering functions. If "theethe" had replied with something like "those functions are on the general wishlist and the developers will implement it" it would have been ok for me. I don't want to argue with anyone here. I'm glad that the development continues!

Live long and prosper

theeth

Post by theeth » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:14 pm

Something I forgot to mention: Read the roadmap for what's being worked on: http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... =0&thold=0

Undo/Redo is in there.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon