Linux version 2.28c in trouble!!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

flb_z

Re: on winxp too !

Post by flb_z »

kflich wrote:i get the "import site failed" too ! on winxp ?! what does it mean ? does it have anything to do with correct setup of python ? i don't really mind cause until now i used 2.28c and encountered no problems... anyway, it bugs me. so, linux users, you are not alone ! your os is just as fucked up as windows (:
Sory for you if you are using WinXp! :wink:
But the probleme is not my os but a pointing problem inside blender...
But in linux case this problem make blender python dependant...see?

By the way Linux is the top os i ever use;try it you'll see..if you still want to use Me I am verry happy whit Linux, tell you it is so cool!

flb_z

Re: on winxp too !

Post by flb_z »

I dont tink it is a os issue or configuration issue, Read the message above, like some one said it is a problem whit blender (pointer to sys env var/path)
That mean that blender dont get the systeme variable, but I tink that there is a problem also whit some init routine that make blender crash if the python site-pack dir is not found....

But this is my humble prediction..I will let the C++ Coder do what they do best ; Debuging!
:wink:
Me I just code script so ... debugging is less frustrating

Tank to all codder for all the effort! Blender will grow and be strong day by day!

By the way so sorry that you are using Xp! Let's try Linux, then you'll see the light!

:lol:

kflich

no need to feel sorry !`

Post by kflich »

wow ... alot of people here for sorry for me fo using winxp ... why the hell ?! i won't turn it into an os debate cause i've used linux for 1.5 years (only version that correctly installed on my system was mandrake) and i did like it alot, but until it won't have a decent pro software supported, i'll stick to windows. and let's face it, not all of us have the nerve to complie things or the talent to write the simplest line of code needed here and the in linux. for people like me there are the gui's with nice little pictures and wizards that do all the hard work so we can foucus on the art. thanx for the explanation, i think i'll go through the "setting the python path" post on elysiun.com again.

flb_z

Re: no need to feel sorry !`

Post by flb_z »

[quote="kflich"]
smiling is good for healt! ;-)

Computing have never been simple.. but some poeple try to sell the idee that you can get anyting verry easy whit frendly interface, but you have to pay the price for that, even if you have all the big money; you will not get wath you want whit no effort.

We can try to do someting by our self or/and whit the communaty to build for the future: better OS/application than black box commercial one. The democratic aspect is verry powerfull and stimulating!

dittohead

Post by dittohead »

Let's not make into an OS war peeps, we have a more immediate problem on our hands, the latest greatest blender binaries are non funcitoning on multiple operating systems.

The reason for this seems to be something with internel python stuff. I got into a rather heated discussion with some peeps in the #python channel at freenode. They blender's python support was inherently broken. Not in the badly coded alpha release sense, but in the sense that blender's python support required the additional download of python it self. There anger came from the fact that hordes of people come romping into #python asking the same question: how do I set my python path.

I can understand that. I do agree that blender should be coded in such a way that people don't need to download a file that's normally 2-3 times the size of blender, install it, and then edit system paths simply to use a 20 kilobyte script.

Sorry for the rant but I've hated python from the beginning, simply because a plug-in interface would work better, and a lot faster.
dittohead

flb_z

Post by flb_z »

[quote="dittohead"]
Me I Like python it is powerfull and fast script not as fast as c but very close faster than java thought!

Anyway we dont need to make blender python dependent, but if it use plugins in c, c++ , this is not everybody that can write plugins, python is erry easy so there is a lot of poeple that can use it! This is a big point, we have to go whit the majority...But I understand wath you are saying...and i agree that systeme plugins can be verry use full but as a plugins module for pluggins see...

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Post by Michel »

Hi,
dittohead wrote: I do agree that blender should be coded in such a way that people don't need to download a file that's normally 2-3 times the size of blender, install it, and then edit system paths simply to use a 20 kilobyte script.
I agree with you on this. It has never been our intention to 'force' the user to install Python when he only wants to use blender without any Python scripting. Python has some nice added value to blender, but it should be optional only!
dittohead wrote: Sorry for the rant but I've hated python from the beginning, simply because a plug-in interface would work better, and a lot faster.

To be honest, this is a matter of personal taste. The advantage of Python scripting is that it's platform independent. Plugins need to be recompiled for each platform. Anyway, I don't intend to move the discussion to another topic. This is something for a seperate discussion :wink:

About the binary problems. I don't know if we have the time to do a new binary release before the end of October. I'll bring up this topic at the next coders meeting.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

dittohead

Post by dittohead »

OK, I do understand those reasons.

I'm not too bummed out by not having the latest binaries...I plan to reload with a new linux distro in th next few monthes so I'm cool.

2.28a works nice enough for me ATM. :)
dittohead

pastorJohn

Mandrake 9.1 - new install - Instructions for 2.28c?

Post by pastorJohn »

Not a newbie, but I still struggle at times...

Has anyone got 2.28c to work in Mdk 9.1? What are the steps, please?

I also d/l'd 2.28c for my win98 box. Works fine.

Thanks.

flb_z

Re: Mandrake 9.1 - new install - Instructions for 2.28c?

Post by flb_z »

pastorJohn wrote:Not a newbie, but I still struggle at times...

Has anyone got 2.28c to work in Mdk 9.1? What are the steps, please?

I also d/l'd 2.28c for my win98 box. Works fine.

Thanks.
FOR MANDRAKE 9.1 :

start text a editor than open ' .bashrc ' in your home dir than put these lines:

PYTHON_HOME=/usr/lib/python2.2
export PYTHON_HOME

Note: This work whit dynamic version (not worcking whit static)
If you run whit static you get error...
Note that your PYTHON-PATH is already set correcly this will over write the systeme path variable (just to get blender run) if you like to run python application you need to coment these tow lines in your .bashrc file whit # to and restart your session...

Mandrake use a higer gclib version that the one use whit 2.28 so from 2.28b to 2.28c it can crash and freeze your systeme, there is a bug whit windows ID that make crash the hole machine... it depend on your mesa and xfree86 version(video card driver) and gclib version but dont be sad .. these bugs have been repport and will be fix soon...

PS I hope!
:? And this point this release is just a nightmare for linux os!
But I'm shure that 2.29 will be great!

stiv

Post by stiv »

And this point this release is just a nightmare for linux os!
While I don't doubt that you are experiencing problems and I have sympathy, given the fact that a number of developers here use linux, I would hesitate to call this release a linux nightmare. Most, if not all, of the reported problems have been on Mandrake. I suspect there is something 'interesting' about that distribtution. The fact that you have to set PYTHON_HOME to what should be a standard location only reinforces that suspicion.

Since we do not require python to run blender, we carry around some of the python components and do our own initialization. In 2.28c, we added some initialization code to help find installed site-packages so applications like Spe would have an easier time. Mandrake users found a bug in the code which is good news and bad news.

I don't have access to a Mandrake system so if we are going to stomp this bug, I need your help. The output from the following commands would be very useful.

1) from a command prompt:
env | grep -i python

2) the command or script you use to start blender

3 ) if you have python installed on your box, where is it? ( /usr/lib/python2.2, /usr/local/lib, /var, /opt, etc. )

4) from the python prompt, enter the following:

import sys
print sys.path
print sys.modules

import site
dir( site )
print site.sitedir
print site.sitedirs

You can either send this to me at
sswaney -at- swbell.net
or post it over on the python forum which is probably a better place to continue this discussion.
Thanks.

pastorJohn

Getting closer...

Post by pastorJohn »

fib_z: Thank you for the help. :D I set the .bashrc as you said. Now when I try to start the blender 2.28c executable, I get:

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Warning: could not determine argv[0] path
Segmentation fault

and it quits. Any help?

pastorJohn :D

stiv

Re: Getting closer...

Post by stiv »

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
This means either python is not installed on this machine, which is ok, or it means that the site module could not be located which is less ok.
Warning: could not determine argv[0] path
This is part of the process that both python and blender python go thru to try and locate stuff on your particular machine. It implies something funny is going on. We need to see the command that started blender to know.
Segmentation fault
This is probably the unchecked pointer in sys_init() that has been mentioned before. A patch was submitted.

Without the information I mentioned above about where python is installed on this machine, this is all guess work.

dittohead

Post by dittohead »

Stiv, here's the output from what you wanted, done from and "su root" command:

Code: Select all

$ env | grep -i python
PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.2:/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk:/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload:/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages:/usr/lib/python2.2/plat-linux-i386:/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric:/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL:/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-1.2
My command is right out of the box...er directory, located here:

/home/nallworth/Blender/blender-2.28c-linux-glibc2.2.5-i386/blender

Python is installed to /usr/lib/python2.2

from python prompt (command "python" run as regular user, no super or root)

Code: Select all

$ python
Python 2.2.2 (#2, Feb  5 2003, 10:40:08)
[GCC 3.2.1 (Mandrake Linux 9.1 3.2.1-5mdk)] on linux-i386
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import sys
>>> print sys.path
['', '/usr/lib/python2.2', '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.2/plat-linux-i386', '/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric', '/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-1.2']
>>> print sys.modules
{'stat': <module 'stat' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/stat.pyc'>, '__future__': <module '__future__' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/__future__.pyc'>, 'copy_reg': <module 'copy_reg' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/copy_reg.pyc'>, 'posixpath': <module 'posixpath' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/posixpath.pyc'>, 'UserDict': <module 'UserDict' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/UserDict.pyc'>, 'signal': <module 'signal' (built-in)>, 'site': <module 'site' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/site.pyc'>, '__builtin__': <module '__builtin__' (built-in)>, 'sys': <module 'sys' (built-in)>, 'posix': <module 'posix' (built-in)>, 'types': <module 'types' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/types.pyc'>, '__main__': <module '__main__' (built-in)>, 'exceptions': <module 'exceptions' (built-in)>, 'strop': <module 'strop' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/strop.so'>, 'os': <module 'os' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/os.pyc'>, 'readline': <module 'readline' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/readline.so'>, 'os.path': <module 'posixpath' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/posixpath.pyc'>, 'string': <module 'string' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/string.pyc'>}
>>> import site
>>> dir( site )
['_Helper', '_Printer', '__builtin__', '__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '_dirs_in_sys_path', '_init_pathinfo', '_test', 'addpackage', 'addsitedir', 'arch', 'dircase', 'encoding', 'here', 'libname', 'makepath', 'os', 'prefix', 'prefixes', 'sitedir', 'sitedirs', 'string', 'sys']
>>> print site.sitedir
/usr/lib/site-python
>>> print site.sitedirs
['/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages', '/usr/lib/site-python']
>>>
Hope that helps...
dittohead

flb_z

Post by flb_z »

$ python
>>> import sys
>>> print sys.path
['', '/usr/lib/python2.2', '/usr/lib/python2.2/plat-linux-i386', '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric', '/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-1.2']
>>> print sys.modules
{'stat': <module 'stat' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/stat.pyc'>, '__future__': <module '__future__' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/__future__.pyc'>, 'copy_reg': <module 'copy_reg' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/copy_reg.pyc'>, 'posixpath': <module 'posixpath' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/posixpath.pyc'>, 'UserDict': <module 'UserDict' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/UserDict.pyc'>, 'signal': <module 'signal' (built-in)>, 'site': <module 'site' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/site.pyc'>, '__builtin__': <module '__builtin__' (built-in)>, 'sys': <module 'sys' (built-in)>, 'posix': <module 'posix' (built-in)>, 'types': <module 'types' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/types.pyc'>, '__main__': <module '__main__' (built-in)>, 'exceptions': <module 'exceptions' (built-in)>, 'strop': <module 'strop' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/strop.so'>, 'os': <module 'os' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/os.pyc'>, 'readline': <module 'readline' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/readline.so'>, 'os.path': <module 'posixpath' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/posixpath.pyc'>, 'string': <module 'string' from '/usr/lib/python2.2/string.pyc'>}
>>> import site
>>> dir( site)
['_Helper', '_Printer', '__builtin__', '__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '_dirs_in_sys_path', '_init_pathinfo', '_test', 'addpackage', 'addsitedir', 'arch', 'dircase', 'encoding', 'here', 'libname', 'makepath', 'os', 'prefix', 'prefixes', 'sitedir', 'sitedirs', 'string', 'sys']
>>> print site.sitedir
/usr/lib/site-python
>>> print site.sitedirs
['/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages', '/usr/lib/site-python']
>>>