Booleans status in Blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Devas73

Booleans status in Blender

Post by Devas73 »

Hello, I don't have time to check Blender status lately but I recall booleans having some problems - I don't know if they are solved now.
I saw on opengl.org this link: http://www.opencsg.org/ that may come handy in future developments.

blendermax

Post by blendermax »

doesnt that only work with primitives though? that would give blender bryce-style functionality which is rather simple.

Devas73

Post by Devas73 »

There's also another problem... I just read on the site:
Image-based CSG rendering (also z-buffer CSG rendering) is a term that denotes algorithms for rendering CSG shapes without an explicit calculation of the geometric boundary of a CSG shape. Such algorithms use frame-buffer settings of the graphics hardware, e.g., the depth and stencil buffer, to compose CSG shapes. OpenCSG implements a variety of those algorithms, namely the Goldfeather algorithm and the SCS algorithm, both of them in several variants
I seem to understand that it just render the CSG shapes without actually computing the geometry, using buffer tricks, so it could be useful just to make "previews" of how a CSG operation would come out... doh.
Also, it will not work on not HW accelerated cards...