so, what do YOU want in Blender 2.29?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

blendermax

Post by blendermax » Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:32 pm

here's another one, one that has been buggin me for a while:

selective subdivision, so that you control the amount of subdivision via something much like weight-painting, but instead it would be subdivision-painting. A subdivsion range could then be set via two buttons, "max subdiv" and "min subdiv", or similar.

Sverre

Post by Sverre » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:16 pm

I haven't been paying attention lately but here's a couple o' mine:

1) Arealamps using reversed shadowmaping.
This is something I planned to play with in tuhopuu but never got round to it. Besides I'm not much of a C/C++ -coder. Anyway the principle is simple:
When determining how much light a point should recieve from a lamp the lamp is rendered from the point. A simple black/white-render (the lamp is white, everyting else is black) should do. Then it is a fairly simple matter of determinighow much of the lamp is visible thus giving a coeifficient of how much linght the point recieves that can be combined with all the other variables, like distance etc. This ought to give fairly good shadows using a fairly small reverse-map.

2) Some sort of edge-smothing-tool.
Though this is probably not a trivial matter.

Just my NOK 0.02

flippyneck

Post by flippyneck » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:18 pm

Is it possible to add 'cursor to current p.o.v' to the shift+s menu? In perspective viewing mode this would allow quick placement of a camera, lamp etc who's location and direction matched the current viewing position.

steve343

Post by steve343 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:51 am

yes yes a death ray to kill all who oppose us.

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:42 am

theeth wrote:*** Those are feature requests by RobertT
- a variable noise texture
That's a nice quick (and useful) one too, should be easy. Those numbuts are so bloody cumbersome though - would be nice to change this to a slider in 2.3.
- random vertice selection under Specials menu

I think somebody already added this to Tuhopuu
Yup! not in the specials menu though.
- ability to edit object (when pressing "/") as if it were not rotated (temporarily canceling rotation for the purposes of editing an object)

I don't get that.
I think he's talking about using local co-ordinates in local view. I know Ton was talking about adding that at some stage, probably as some kind of option.
- prompt to save changes before exiting Blender

that's what quit.blend is for, but a save dialog would be nice.
I agree on both counts :) I spent a few mins hacking one in, but got stuck. Will ask a Q on the tuhopuu list.
- ability to edit multiple objects at once without having to join meshes (select multiple objects, maybe something like shift tab to enter "edit selected meshes" mode)

That's most probably not possible due to a couple of things, the first of which being that you could select both a mesh and a nurbs surface and a lamp and ...

A hotkey to "tab" between selected object would be nice though.
In the UI doc, Ton proposed to allow switching between objects in non-object mode, with a modifier-click. You can alread do this in the paint modes with (I think) ctrl-click.

A2597

Post by A2597 » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:20 pm

and edge smoothing tool is something I've really been wanting...beveling tool in other words...would be VERY helpful!

also, and this is something I doubt would be possible in 2.9 ...

Shinyness = glow.

in other words, high-dynamic-range lighting. Where the light refracting off a surface leaves a "glow" or "halo" effect around where the light hit.

again, Now expecting that in 2.9...prolly ALOT of work.
The man with his head stuck in the Blender.

pastorJohn

Next release features

Post by pastorJohn » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:25 am

OK, so I'm still learning the interface, but I can't change individual points on the IPO curves unless I can line up the mouse pointer EXACTLY. I would like to be able to select individual points on the curve to move them or operate on them.

John Kiehn
pastorJohn.
Toodles.

Haunt_House

Post by Haunt_House » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:53 am

what would I like to have in Blender 2.29?

bugfixes, bugfixes, bugfixes :D

no offense meant

Haunt_House

stiv

Re: Next release features

Post by stiv » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:44 pm

pastorJohn wrote:but I can't change individual points on the IPO curves unless I can line up the mouse pointer EXACTLY.
You know you can pan and zoom in the IPO window like you do in the 3d window, right?

Also box select ( the BKey ) works in the IPO window, too.

pastorJohn

IPO Editing

Post by pastorJohn » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:03 pm

I know that you can do a couple of things in the IPO editor, but for one thing you can't grab and move a single point. So, if I want to work on a fairly complex curve with several reference points I have to go to single frames in the 3D window to move and set keys.

Box select does work in the window, but it selects the entire curve, not one fixed point on the curve. If I have a complex movement I want to work on, I would like to be able to just move the points around to make adjustments.

A minor item, but it's on my wish list.

John Kiehn
pastorJohn

stiv

Re: IPO Editing

Post by stiv » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:24 pm

pastorJohn wrote:I know that you can do a couple of things in the IPO editor, but for one thing you can't grab and move a single point.
You need to select a curve and TAB into edit mode.

Etna

Post by Etna » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:17 pm

I want some of these tools!!
http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/ms/

a bit dreaming

pastorJohn

Re: IPO Editing

Post by pastorJohn » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:13 am

stiv wrote:
pastorJohn wrote:I know that you can do a couple of things in the IPO editor, but for one thing you can't grab and move a single point.
You need to select a curve and TAB into edit mode.
He he... Thank you. :lol: (Laughs at self) My ability to overlook the obvious once again rears its ugly head. Thank you for you patience with this humble noob.

John

levon

Post by levon » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:33 am

being able to copy and paste ipos as a different type (copy a locX and past as a locY etc.) would be good.

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:10 am

levon wrote:copy a locX and past as a locY etc. would be good.
Yeah, that definitely would be cool.

Even cooler is the fact that you can already do that. That's something those little channel buttons on the right side of the IPO window are good for.

Copy a curve. Select a single channel. Press paste. And there you are!