When!!!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

REAson

When!!!

Post by REAson » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:30 pm

People could ya tell me when it wolud be enabled to import DXF etc. objects to Blender!!! As to me ah'm a novice in modeling with Blender, but ah'll improve it cos this is THE BEST Programm!!! Respect ya all
Blender - Born To create!!!

wavk

Post by wavk » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:40 pm

It's been there for years! Just not in a logical place:)

Just use file->open and select a dxf file. The dxf file will be added to the open object, in the current layer.

If you don't get good results, try exporting the dxf again from autocad/vectorworks or whatever, but setting the units to meters instead of mm. Otherwise, Blender will import the dxf file at a thousand times the size, decreasing the precision very much with big drawings.

You can also try the excellent vrml importer.

Wybren van Keulen

Mats78

Post by Mats78 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:14 pm

Please some info on the wrml format/export/import.

I always seem to get:

Import: 204 vertices 392 faces
In BPY_call_importloader(name=/mnt/win_d/temp/wingstest2.wrl)

..or some other error about how the file is not a .blend file. Does the same on both mandrake and winxp... with 2.28a/b/c and tuhopuu. I took some models from 3dcafe.com which it opened, wohoo, but the models are simple and ugly. I'd like to be able to import models that I've exported from wings3d, or are these in a wrong format? If so then this should be mentioned somewhere, don't just talk about a wrml importer - talk about an incomplete wrml importer and it's flaws!! I don't want to upset anybody but this has really bugged me since I've got the impression (from everything I've read here) that Blender can import wrml files. And in my experience it can't. I hope I'm wrong =) And I hope I spelled it the right way ;) wrml... wrlm...

thanks,
Mats

theeth

Post by theeth » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:20 am

Wings3D exports in VRML 2.0 format, Blender only imports VRML 1.0 (also named VRML97) format. 2.25 has a working VRML 2.0 import though, so if you can find a copy somewhere...

It was droped due to the diffuculty of maintaining the code (it was using outside libraries and some strange stuff).

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Mats78

Post by Mats78 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:52 am

Ok thanks for clarifying this. I tried it and yes it works with 2.25.. enough for me at the moment as I'm able to make .blend files out of wrml2 this way.

Regards,
Mats

REAson

Tnx

Post by REAson » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:45 am

Thank ya guys for all ur replies... It really means alot to me... I thoought nobody will replie anything ya helped me alot

Goofster

Post by Goofster » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:20 am

If you spell normally next time, you'll have a better chance of getting an answer.

Roel

REAson

Post by REAson » Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:48 am

Why is tha? You don't uderstand or you don't like the way of spelling like this? But tnaks anyway...

Pablosbrain

Its polite and easier to read.

Post by Pablosbrain » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:33 pm

Trying to write and spell legibly is just polite, and it also makes it quite a bit easier to read and understand posts. This isn't instant messaging... its a forum... Posts can be written and pondered before submitting them. :)