Blender early 2.3 snapshot

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

malefico

Post by malefico » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:45 pm

Hey OTO my friend ! For me the best solution was just download the source from CVS (the first time it takes quite a long while in a modem, but the updates are FAST !) and compile. Plus, you can add some customized features for your processor and stuff...

M@dcow, the material settings you're showing in the captures looks very interesting...

Cheers.

shadowman99

Good interface refinements, my thoughts

Post by shadowman99 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:51 pm

If I move one menu palete on top of another, the tranparency makes it imposible to read the menu on top. Opacity settings for menus would be a good thing.

It would be useful to drag a palete from one window to another, or to not have paletes trapped in windows at all but "float" over blender (ala photoshop or gimp).

I really hope we can get real world unit of measure options sometime. That might sound like a feature request, but I think of it as an interface problem. I'm a nut for scale, and find it hard to carry work from one project to the next with a generic "unit". I'd love to set that to a meter, foot, yard, or whatever, and have the numbers palete reflect this.

beatabix

Post by beatabix » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:37 pm

theeth: i'm writing here to confirm the shift select bug you just mentioned on th bf-commiters list. i have no email access at the moment, so i can't contact the list.

i have had this problem in both the pre-releases on winXPpro, using intel 82845G/GL card, latest drivers.

it appears that the 3D view is not updated correctly. perhaps ton has ommitted a glFlush() call or two. i had an example image with three 3d windows, each with different selections, on screen at the same time. unfortunately i couldn't post it because my web host thinks i haven't paid for my account, and just shut me down.

this is quite a serious bug, i think.

and dbegel: i have the same card as you, and had the same problems (constant crashing). all fixed with a driver update.

later
BEAT

dgebel

Post by dgebel » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:31 pm

M@dcow wrote:In this version having to constantly flit between the three mapping buttons can become annoying and somewhat tiresome, causing what I’m terming the "Bwarg syndrome".
I have to agree, Bwarg syndrom is nasty.

***** I was starting to agree to all this... but then I accidentally found out something... its not necessary to switch back and forth - the panels are detachable!

Actually, I found that they are attachable by dragging one panel onto one of the others, then realized the mapping panels were tabbed and sure 'nuff, can be dragged off of the tabbed panel. EXCELLENT JOB!

I would suggest that they panels not be transparent - clip/obscure panels which overlap - I was very confused for a bit, and its very hard to read them.

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:23 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've been playing with the Oct 29th build for a number of hours now and all I can say is "Fark"!! (Polite way of using a bad swear word)

Some of these new features are truly jaw dropping and implemented in a way that is so brilliant and user friendly that Blender is bound to win new converts by the bucketload. The loopselect and knife stuff means that Blender is now the modeler of the Gods :wink: And the "optimal" view in subsurf mode is a work of genius :shock:

Im still experiencing the "bwarg syndrome" when it comes to materials, but with all these "farking" great new features, I'll adapt :D

My gratitude to you guys is endless....

Ender

Post by Ender » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:22 pm

Where is this 10/29 build you speak of? :P

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:06 pm

Where is this 10/29 build you speak of?
Yes I would like to see that! No, I would LOVE to see this!!

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:01 am

Ender wrote:Where is this 10/29 build you speak of? :P
Forget that build! Download 2.3 instead :P

Ender

Post by Ender » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:05 pm

I did, and it’s nice to see it. :D Unfortunately, I can’t seem to rotate the 3d view with my middle mouse button anymore... :? (BTW I’m on Mac OS X 10.3)

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:34 pm

Middle mouse button emulation is broken in 2.3

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

Ben

Post by Ben » Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:55 pm

Why???? It was one the best features!!

elam

Post by elam » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:31 pm

I think the keyword is broken.

ox

Post by ox » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:21 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You guys are absolutely freaking amazing! May you be increased in riches, fame and fortune beyond your keenest expectations! Thank you heartily once again for your hard work and diligence!

:D

ox

Post by ox » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:23 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You guys are absolutely freaking amazing! May you be increased in riches, fame and fortune beyond your keenest expectations! Thank you heartily once again for your hard work and diligence!

:D

p_vertex_

Great job on 2.3!

Post by p_vertex_ » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:43 pm

I have to echo some of the positive sentiment here. Blender has come a LONG way in terms of more and better functionality, and in terms of its interface. I was one of the strongest proponents of changes in this regard, and it is my opinion that many of the changes seen in 2.3 WILL make Blender a better, more easily accessible tool for those interested in 3D. The themes and the re-configurable palettes are quite nice, but there are other features that add significant value as well.

To be sure, the Blender development team has some daunting tasks to deal with - the way that materials and textures relate to one another, for example, make it somewhat difficult to derive a method of use that is both functional and easily understandable. The current method may not be 100% optimal (I have no opinion yet, because I have yet to sit down and actually use it), but I do think it's a step in the right direction.

So Ton, to you and the rest of the development team, Cheers. Thanks for a job well done. :D :D :D