Post by leinad13 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:16 pm

I noticed this on the CVS progress reports

ton (Ton Roosendaal) 2003/10/02 12:05:58 CEST
Modified files:
blender/source/blender/imbuf/intern amiga.c filter.c

Log:
- changed a couple of shorts to ints, to allow images larger than
8192 pixels.
I dont have a lot of mem here though, so others should test too!

Perhaps the community could try and thank our glorious leader. (ton [no i do not stalk him, i just follow him now and again. And those posters on my wall arnt of him they are of someone who looks like him :oops: ])

Maybe the blender foundation could buy a the "foundation" a new computer in order for further development to take place.

I think that as ton is the main developer. (I think, but im probably wrong)

Anyway what im saying is couldnt we get ton a new computer, and use Blender development as an excuse. But honestly i dont think we need an excuse. Perhaps someone could make it all nice and present it to him at the conference.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:24 am

Yes that is a great idea! Lets give him a kickass machine! Hail to Ton!

How would we collect all the money though?

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:51 pm

If Ton is willing to accept such a measure of gratitude, he could set up a Wish List on Amazon.com (or somesuch). Anyone who was feeling magnanimous could pop on over and buy him what he needs/wants.

Apollux

Post by Apollux » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:53 am

What about this: System Specifications - Alienware MJ12 [3200] Estimated Value: $6,300

* Processor/s: Dual Intel Xeon Processors 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 2MB Cache
* Memory: 3GB DDR PC-2100 SDRAM Registered
* Hard Drives: 200GB Western Digital Caviar SE ATA-100 7,200 RPM 8MB Cache
* Optical Drive One: Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW
* Optical Drive Two: Pioneer DVR-106 4x DVD±R/W
* Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive
* Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro® FX 3000 256MB 8x AGP w/Dual DVI

It is the main prize for the Aienware Contest... I think that many blender-heads around here are good enough to enter and win the contest. More details at: http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/

(Closind date for artwork submissions is 20 January 2004)

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:06 pm

Why not just get Ton a good PC, AMD 2600, 2 gig of ram, 40 gig hd- 17" LCD flatscreen (So Ton's eyes dont get tired when coding), Nvidia GForce.

I think getting an affordable PC might be a more achieveable goal

I would contribute a few hendred if there was a fund set up.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:09 pm

Why not just get Ton a good PC, AMD 2600, 2 gig of ram, 40 gig hd- 17" LCD flatscreen (So Ton's eyes dont get tired when coding), Nvidia GForce.

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:15 pm

I was wondering how much funs the foundation has at the moment. Only thing is i guess Ton is in control of them and so if we suggested dipping into it for him, i guess he would say no.

Maybe all those going to the festival could try and ask around and see if anyone is interested.

Ye i agree with ideasman, maybe just a good PC with good RAM would surely be very useful to him during testing. I know part of blender's appeal is that it was small and could run on worse machines, but if we want to be taken serious then people with fast computers will want to utilize they're systems power fully.

All i wanted was maybe a collection from the whole community, of say £10 - £20, im sure people can afford this now that they have seen the developments, that wouldnt have been possible without Ton.
If we came up short i just maybe that the Foundation might be dipped into to come up with a bit of cash.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:38 pm

ideasman wrote:Why not just get Ton a good PC, AMD 2600, 2 gig of ram, 40 gig hd- 17" LCD flatscreen (So Ton's eyes dont get tired when coding), Nvidia GForce.

I agree. If we could get a fund set up, I would definately contribute and I'm sure a lot of hardcore Blenderheads would donate.

xype

Post by xype » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:06 pm

From what I know Ton is working on a Mac now, most of the time (because of it's unix underpinnings). If we were to buy him a new machine, we could consider

1.8GHz PowerPC G5
160GB Serial ATA
Combo (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)
1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512
Mac OS X - U.S. English
Accessory kit
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
56k V.92 internal modem
Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
APP for Power Mac with Display (Applecare Protection Plan, 3 years)

for US $ 3,250.00 if he got the developer discount. Plus 20% taxes (I think .nl has 20%) that'd come to around US $ 3,900.00.

Now considering Apple will likely update the G5 models and the cinema displays around January the price itself will probably drop as well (or allow a dual CPU machine at the same price). If one would take that route, I'd chip in $200 at least. That would give Ton a nice 64bit Unix Workstation with a OpenGL 1.5/2.0 capable video card and a display that's really nice (I know!).

Having said that, only Ton himself knows if he wants such a gift, but the idea is quite noble. And cheaper than buying Maya or 3DS Max :D

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:08 pm

xype wrote:And cheaper than buying Maya or 3DS Max :D
It all depends. If selling your lkidney is an option, than it's ver cheap ;)

Regarding the Standard Apple keyboard & mouse, did they finally started shipping with 3 button mouse or are you still stuck getting a one button and than having to buy a 3 button mouse on the side?

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

xype

Post by xype » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:13 pm

theeth wrote:Regarding the Standard Apple keyboard & mouse, did they finally started shipping with 3 button mouse or are you still stuck getting a one button and than having to buy a 3 button mouse on the side?

Martin

Still 1 button. It has something to do with tech support or so I've heared. Apparently "average" users get confused with 2 buttons too fast. :)

sten

Post by sten » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:25 am

xype wrote:
theeth wrote:Regarding the Standard Apple keyboard & mouse, did they finally started shipping with 3 button mouse or are you still stuck getting a one button and than having to buy a 3 button mouse on the side?

Martin

Still 1 button. It has something to do with tech support or so I've heared. Apparently "average" users get confused with 2 buttons too fast. :)

LMOA!!! :lol: