Mandrake 9.2 display vertex size problems

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

adrian

Mandrake 9.2 display vertex size problems

Post by adrian »

Having recently shifted from windows to linux (mandrake 9.2, Ati rage 128 graphics card) as main OS I find that in edit mode the vertex display seems to be only one pixel in size even when changing the setting in themes.

Can anyone shed any light, or suggest a hack please.

Adrian.

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Why do people always post their distro in the subject of the post? It should read: Display vertex size problem with ATI RAGE 128

Because it's your ATI card that's causing your problem, I can guarantee it. Try looking for drivers from ATI or alternate drivers for XFree86 4....

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

this is because the rage128 probably defines the max vertex size as 1; this is "not a bug" according the openGL ARB, becase the max vertex size is defined as whatever the card sets it to.
the windows driver probably provided a workaround to this situation. In X you have two solutions:
1-patch blender to use GL bitmaps instead of points to draw vertices- I've done this and can show you how.
2-patch The X driver- I can point you to a patch for the radeon context (different driver) and perhaps you/me can modify it for the rage128.
the second is nicer because you'll be able to use blender binaries and unpatched blenders- One doesn't find oneself upgrading the X server to much. On the other hand, building X is a nightmare that I'm unqualified for (yes I can hack the patch, but building XFree is a bit of a problem for me) I'm on gentoo, so its trivial there, but Mandrake would be much harder.
3- get a better gfx card! rage 128 is pretty dated by now, you could do better with a low end geforce and still spend < 100 bucks- the nvidia cards don't have this problem, and you gain speed too.
here's a link to dri (direct render infrastructure) bug report for the same problem on the radeon. Its got a link to the patch that I currently use, plus a description of how to hack blender to use bitmaps (I'm bassamintor there, btw)
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=100387
and here's a thread about what I think is the same problem for the radeon:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... pic&t=2085

PS_ yeah, I don't think this is distro specific. You might want to look for bugs on the r128 in the dri bugzilla, to see if there already is a patch for it.

adrian

Post by adrian »

Thanks for your detailed reply slickdigit.

The problem was the linux graphics driver.
I changed the driver from the default " ati 128" one to the " xfree4 r128" custom one and it's fixed the problem.

Cheers.

Adrian

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

cool! messing with xfree patches is no fun.

adrian

Post by adrian »

I spoke to soon, it cures the vertex problem but there's no 3d accelleration. I guess I'll have to look for a patch.

I was hoping to totally cut "windows" out of my life!!

Perhaps A new graphics card is in order, the rage 128 is a bit old now.

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit »

Its what I thought, the actual card doesn't do bigger than one pixel points. The windows driver has a workaround the x driver doesn't. You can probably cure this, but it will take some work. (at least doing the workaround in blender, at most patching X)
on the other hand, rag128 IS pretty slow...

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

There is a project on sourceforge somewhere that has Rage-compatible drivers for XFree86 4, maybe give them a try?

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton »

So much confusement on opengl topics... ATI rage 128 on my Mac G4 nicely displays all vertex sizes. By default just always blame drivers... these should nicely switch to software versions of code not supported in the hardware.

Someone already started building a mysql database which we can use to gather reports on opengl vs OS vs drivers. Might become a nice tool to get better insight in this complex topic.