progress: 2.3

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ox

progress: 2.3

Post by ox »

There was some mention of "no progress" being made over at elysiun and that the latest release was merely surface, superficial and cosmetic. I have to disagree! 2.3 really has smoothed out and speeded up on my box. When i used ctrl+alt+shft MMB in the older versions I'd have to wait several seconds before my monitor would catch up. There was an annoying lag. With shft+MMB it's gone and I want to say thank you! Keep up the good work.

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton »

Thanks for the report! during the past month of coding I could find several very ugly hacks in the code that caused slowdowns. The whole UI code now is under control again, quite invisible work many users might not realize well.

I would appreciate you posting system specs as well, want to know what systems exactly had benefit of this.

ox

Post by ox »

ton wrote:I would appreciate you posting system specs as well, want to know what systems exactly had benefit of this.
:oops: :oops: It's old and not much of a system but it does create pleasing art

RH 9
Intel Pentium ll 300
198 MB RAM
Savage video 8MB

There's no swap space being used at all while blending. All actual modelling processes are noticeably faster than 2.8. Rendering has slowed ever so slightly but I can live quite happily with the trade off.

thanks again

jazzroy

Post by jazzroy »

ton,
what about extending compatibility list to OS's and CPU's with a public performance test?

Mel_Q

Post by Mel_Q »

ton wrote:Thanks for the report! during the past month of coding I could find several very ugly hacks in the code that caused slowdowns. The whole UI code now is under control again, quite invisible work many users might not realize well.

I would appreciate you posting system specs as well, want to know what systems exactly had benefit of this.
Thanks for fixing that halo/alpha and spot halo bug (or bugs) in the unified renderer too, Ton! I've noticed you've spotted the aliasing problem left behind too, but it only shows up on mine when I use a texture with a halo. Before this, I had to sequence smoke, halo, and 'missle' seperately and can now do them at once.
It is indeed far from quiet on the coding front...