New Compositor in the works.

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

eskil

New Compositor in the works.

Post by eskil » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:18 pm

Sorry i have been so silent post the blender conference. Sorry about that. I had a great time. and it was really fun to meet you all.

I have been working for a few days with a compositor application using verse. I have some debugging left to do but it will be out any day now.

About 2 years ago i started writing a compositor and wrote about 40+ image processing plug-ins. A few weeks ago i looked over the project and found that it wouldn't be that hard to write a new app that would work with all the old plugs so that's what i did.

I have also been working on some bug fixes and there will be / have been some verse releases (if you are interested in the specifics join the mailing list)

I have been accepted as a speaker on "real-time global illumination" at next years Game Developers Conference. So i have spent some time working on demos for that.

I just got a mail about the start up of a verse/python project. I wasn't responsible for it in any way. it looks really cool and i hope we can bring in lots of python codes to verse.

Check it out:

http://projects.blender.org/projects/pyverse/

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:37 am

Looks cool Eskil. I'm looking forward to trying this out (It will be available/buildable for linux, won't it? :wink: )

blendermax

Post by blendermax » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:21 am

looks like you were inspired by loquairou (sp?)...looks really nice, but a little too un-technical (for me).

sten

Post by sten » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:27 pm

blendermax wrote:looks like you were inspired by loquairou (sp?)...looks really nice, but a little too un-technical (for me).
sorry?

didn't you know that he (eskil) also made that application as well??

blendermax

Post by blendermax » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:09 pm

ztonzy wrote:
blendermax wrote:looks like you were inspired by loquairou (sp?)...looks really nice, but a little too un-technical (for me).
sorry?

didn't you know that he (eskil) also made that application as well??
oh...woops.... :roll:

thoro

Post by thoro » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:46 am

Hi Eskil,

I would like to use your color corrector Nil Salentinn, downloaded the application (311003), found the missing sdl.dll :-),started verse server, Nil Salentinn and connected to localhost.

The interface looks great (... as well as the screenshots on your website www.quelsolaar.com), but how do I actually load an image? Or do I have to use another verse application to load the image?

Cheers

Thorsten

eskil

Post by eskil » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:14 pm

Ok its up and it can be found at: http://www.blender.org/modules/verse/

Go grab it. It is still kind of early and there are a few things i want to add. It works ideally witw the Gimp plug-in that Blendrix wrote (it can also be found on the verse site). This application is very useful for show casing how a verse app can work as a back end providing services.

I have some things I want to add in the interface and i hope to have a new version out soon. But i hope i can get some feed back first from you.

The release of Loq Airou that was released around the conference was basically crap. There was a huge amount of bugs related to the verse 2.0 migration but its getting better and better. Nil is basically not very use full, yes it looks cool but i need to work more on it (i man actually contemplating a complete re-write) The best bitmap I/O for verse is to use gimp with the verse plug-in.

E

thoro

Post by thoro » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:21 pm

...oki doki, Gimp download is running :-) I will test it and post my thoughts...

thoro

Post by thoro » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:02 pm

...hmm, Gimp doesn't connect to the verse server (is default port 4950 right?). Operating System is Windows XP, I will give it another try at home (I'm currently at work :-))

thoro

Post by thoro » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:16 pm

... ok, now I'm at home :-) - Gimp connects to the Verse server, I'm uploading an Image and start Nil Salentinn. But how do I access the image now?

blendix

Post by blendix » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:06 pm

I released a new version of the gimp plug-in, with some bug fixes. It works nicely together with compositor now. A screenshot of this is at:
http://users.pandora.be/blendix/verse/g ... ositor.png
Note that when painting on the image in the gimp, the other image is processed by Compositor, and then downloaded back to the gimp, in only 1 second! Doing this with two gimps running on two different computers also works almost as fast as on one pc, with an 128x128 image size.
Last edited by blendix on Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorQ

Post by TorQ » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:11 am

Blendix,

I am really excited about the work you are doing between Blender and the GIMP! I think that having a really good free 3D paint tool for Blender is a really important addition. Please continue to develop this! Thanks for your efforts.

TorQ