Where has the Image Browser button gone?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

M@dcow

Where has the Image Browser button gone?

Post by M@dcow » Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:04 pm

Hi all,

Why has someone removed the option to use the image browser in the texture buttons? Is this intentional?

Right now all I can call up is the file select which, for the purpose of textures, is pretty useless....

All I know is that I have 2000+ textures so not being able to browse through them is frustrating to say the least. :cry:

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:25 pm

The image selector is very crash prone, so it was decided to default to the file selector. However, fear not, you can still access the image selector by Ctrl clicking on the button.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:29 pm

Hi Theeth,

Yeah, I was just informed about this by Intrr and Kaito over in #Blendercoders. Is this a temporary measure or are we going to be stuck with this for a while?

As for the "bugginess" of the image browser, all I can say is that I have had very few problems with it over the years. But maybe thats just me being lucky :wink:

theeth

Post by theeth » Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:50 pm

M@dcow wrote:Yeah, I was just informed about this by Intrr and Kaito over in #Blendercoders. Is this a temporary measure or are we going to be stuck with this for a while?
Until it's debugged I'd say. Then, it could probably be switched (Click for image selector, ctrl click for file selector).
As for the "bugginess" of the image browser, all I can say is that I have had very few problems with it over the years. But maybe thats just me being lucky :wink:
It will completely crash as soon as you enter a directory with either a corrupted file or an image/video that cannot be previewed.

Martin
- John Lennon

NateTG

Post by NateTG » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:10 am

i prefer the file select over the image browser.

I find that usually i know which file im looking for and dont need the preview. More fits on the screen in the file select window, and generally changes directories faster.

basse

Post by basse » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:33 am

I think, there should be something more clear than just the ctrl-click. couldn't there be a button in the image/file select window to swap around?
if the fileselect would open as default, there could be a button in it to "display thumbs".

?

.b

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:22 am

Hi again Theeth,

Yes, now I know what bug you are refering to. But in the three years that I've been using Blender I've had this problem maybe three or four times, so my personal opinion is that it isn't enough of a problem to remove it.

I suspect that quite a few people will be asking the same question soon...

theeth

Post by theeth » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:53 pm

Like I said, it isn't removed, you can still access it by ctrl-clicking on the load button. And believe me, a lot of people were complaining about the image selector, it's not something we decided because it only "appeared" to us like it was faulty.

As for quite a few people asking for it, that's bound to happen anyway, since probably less than 50% of all the people that download the new versions read the release note.

Martin
- John Lennon

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:59 pm

probably less than 10%

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:43 pm

theeth wrote: As for quite a few people asking for it, that's bound to happen anyway, since probably less than 50% of all the people that download the new versions read the release note.

Martin
Well -- In my experience, the release log is always empty (Bf Blender)

Thanks for the info anyways :D

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Post by Michel » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:01 pm

M@dcow wrote:Well -- In my experience, the release log is always empty (Bf Blender)

Thanks for the info anyways :D
Hrm,

With every release there's a release note published on blender.org.
For blender 2.30 release notes, click here.
Or check all the 'Read more' links on this page.

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:10 pm

Im talking about the release log that comes with the .zip file