Blender 231/231a Crash on Launch

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Ringo7

Blender 231/231a Crash on Launch

Post by Ringo7 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:47 am

Blender (Windows) is crashing when trying to launch the application. Same problem on two different PC's. Latest video drivers on both platforms. Can no longer launch any of the earlier versions either since the first 231 crash.

Anyone else having this problem or know how to solve it?

Thanks

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:11 pm

How about you provide more information, because honesting you can't believe that anyone could provide you with even vague answers with the amount of information you have provided.

So let's begin.

-System specs (amount of RAM, video card, cpu, etc, etc)
-Windows version
-Exact blender version
-Detailed description about what it does when it "crashes" (ie: does it just close, give you an error msg, everyone has their own definition of a "crash")
-Information like previous versions that still work or whatnot

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:54 pm

Sorry...

Blender 2.3.1 & 2.3.1a (as mentioned in previous subject)
PC-1
WindowsXP Pro/DELL8250 P4-2.4/512K RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

PC2
WindowsXP Home/HP Pav/P4-2.6/512K RAM
NVidia GForce 4

Disabled all virus apps and other background tasks for testing.

Typical XP error dialog upon launch of Blender (the "Send Report", "Don't send", etc. dialog) with no clue as to what actually causes the error.

These are both brand new stock systems with the latest video drivers. Again, it has affected my earlier Blender versions as well (2.23, 2.25, 2.28c and Publisher). Tried trashing the user defaults file(s), re-installed, etc..

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:58 pm

By the way...
This started right after installing 2.31a. Never got to successfully launch this version and haven't been able to go back to the earlier versions with a crash.

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:26 pm

Latest drivers meaning drivers from their manufacturers, or latest from windows update? I would make sure you have the nvidia drivers from www.nvidia.com for the Geforce4 machine, because I've never seen Blender have problems on a nvidia card, ever.

Do you have any other software running that could be an issue? Maybe try getting spybot search and destroy and clean your system of spyware...
This started right after installing 2.31a. Never got to successfully launch this version and haven't been able to go back to the earlier versions with a crash.
I don't quite understand what this means, haven't been able to go back to earlier versions with a crash? So that means they work, or don't they?

Also search about deleting your b.blend or default blender file, it may be opening some .blend at startup that is causing the crash. Or try using the -nosound parameter when you start Blender, if that still works...

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:06 pm

Yes, latest drivers from the Nvidia/ATI (for both PC's)

No Spyware (I use AdAware about once a week). No other software running, no background tasks other than what is needed for the OS.

What I mean by "haven't been able to go back to earlier versions with a crash?" is that I haven't been able to go back to earlier versions *since* the crash after installing 2.31a. Meaning - I can no longer run any other version of Blender (period)

As mentioned before, I trashed the b.blend (or other default blender file depending on the version).

What is the parameter for launching with the nosound option?

Thanks.

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:22 pm

The parameter is -nosound

Eg:

blender.exe -nosound

Also I don't trust AdAware anymore, I work as a computer tech and I've worked on many a computer where adaware installed and found nothing, but when I installed spybot it found a lot. It seems modern spyware is targeting and disabling/hiding itself from AdAware specifically. But that's your call if you want to try something different or not.

Hmm so I think we've gone over everything, all I can say is that I've seen the new versions work properly on both cards myself first-hand, Have you tried any other OpenGL applications? How often do you reboot those computers?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:23 pm

IoN_PuLse wrote:Also I don't trust AdAware anymore, I work as a computer tech and I've worked on many a computer where adaware installed and found nothing, but when I installed spybot it found a lot. It seems modern spyware is targeting and disabling/hiding itself from AdAware specifically. But that's your call if you want to try something different or not.
which is why I use both
IoN_PuLse wrote:Hmm so I think we've gone over everything, all I can say is that I've seen the new versions work properly on both cards myself first-hand, Have you tried any other OpenGL applications? How often do you reboot those computers?
Is there anything printed from the console when you start it in that manner? You would do something like:
start button->all program->Accesscories->command prompt
then type:
cd "c:\Program files\blnender foundation\blender"
followed by enter (and with the quotes) then:
blender -noaudio -w
where "c:\Program files\blnender foundation\blender" is where blender is installed (case insensitive)
(oh, and the -w switch to run in a window, also something to try with and without)

ioN_Pulse: this is the output of "blender -h"

Code: Select all

Blender V 2.31
Usage: blender [options ...] [file]

Render options:
  -b <file>     Render <file> in background
    -S <name>   Set scene <name>
    -f <frame>  Render frame <frame> and save it
    -s <frame>  Set start to frame <frame> (use with -a)
    -e <frame>  Set end to frame (use with -a)<frame>
    -a          Render animation

Animation options:
  -a <file(s)>  Playback <file(s)>
    -p <sx> <sy>        Open with lower left corner at <sx>, <sy>
    -m          Read from disk (Don't buffer)

Window options:
  -w            Force opening with borders
  -W            Force opening without borders
  -p <sx> <sy> <w> <h>  Open with lower left corner at <sx>, <sy>
                        and width and height <w>, <h>

Game Engine specific options:
  -g fixedtime          Run on 50 hertz without dropping frames
  -g vertexarrays       Use Vertex Arrays for rendering (usually faster)
  -g noaudio            No audio in Game Engine
  -g nomipmap           No Texture Mipmapping
  -g linearmipmap       Linear Texture Mipmapping instead of Nearest (default)

Misc options:
  -d            Turn debugging on
  -noaudio      Disable audio on systems that support audio
  -h            Print this help text
  -y            Disable OnLoad scene scripts, use -Y to find out why its -y
  -R            Register .blend extension
it looks like -noaudio is to disable audio, not -nosound

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:25 am

Ah, ok, I knew it sound -nosomething :)

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:55 am

IoN_PuLse wrote:Is there anything printed from the console when you start it in that manner?
The console window is blank when launching blender. The error pops up immediately and when I switch back the console window it's blank.

I'll try some of the switches and see what happens. Thanks.

Ringo7

Post by Ringo7 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:14 am

Ok, managed to get something from the console before the shutdown...

Here's what's displayed:

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.

That's it. Then shuts down.[/img]

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:21 am

Do you have anti-aliasing on? If so, turn it off. (driver-specific setting)

misterbone

Post by misterbone » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:41 am

Hey, I had the same problem. If my screen was using high resolutions and/or 32bit colour then I would get a crash as soon as I started. I fixed it by telling my gfx card to use 64 instead of 32 MB in the bios. I have an onboard gfx card so we might not have the same problem. But I do seem to remember something about a commandline option that tells blender to use more ram or something?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:03 pm

misterbone wrote:Hey, I had the same problem. If my screen was using high resolutions and/or 32bit colour then I would get a crash as soon as I started. I fixed it by telling my gfx card to use 64 instead of 32 MB in the bios. I have an onboard gfx card so we might not have the same problem. But I do seem to remember something about a commandline option that tells blender to use more ram or something?
or it could be a similar problem, your display needs to be set to 16 bit color instead of 24 or 32 (or 8 for that matter)

that would be "thousands of colors" (65536 colors to be exact)

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:13 am

I've never had an issue with Geforce1/2/4MX/FX5200/FX5600 or Radeon9800PROs with 32-bit colour set...