Building a System to run Blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

moeandco

Building a System to run Blender

Post by moeandco » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:55 pm

Which is better to use AMD or INTEL? Probably I'll get a lot of responses that say use a MAC but I can't. I am guessing that Blender needs Lots of memory and a fast processor but I don't see anything about one processor being better than the other in respect to BLENDER. Your help will be appreciated.

jo

Post by jo » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:20 pm

256 - 512 MB ram are enough. more = better but not necessary. 32 - 64 MB graphic card will be enough. Intel or AMD? I don't know. Blender will run on both but AMD is cheaper.

z3r0_d

Re: Building a System to run Blender

Post by z3r0_d » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:53 am

moeandco wrote:AMD or INTEL?
depends which one you compile it for....

if you just use the foundation builds they are the same

(get a reasonable graphics card with opengl support too, nvida seems to be pretty good [can't be beat in linux])

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:32 am

AMD = more bang for buck

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:08 am

AMD = more bang for buck
yes more BANG !

most of the AMD boxes produce more noise than a dish washer

to be fair:
if you want a highest performace game box at lowest price you ' ll have loads of fan noise anyway so AMD is the choice

for a all day workstation ( multimedia box in the living room ) noise does matter.i know there are low noise fans for AMDs but still i prefer a "boxed" intel

BM

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:18 pm

I don't know if you're looking for high, middle or low end, but here's a great analysis at Anandtech showing a direct shootout between the consumer-end processors. AMD destroys Intel:

http://anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927

moeandco

Post by moeandco » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:51 pm

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I am looking to build a "fairly decent" system...so I guess that would fall under in between high end and low end. AMD looks good to me but I didn't know if anyone had noticed any performance issues while using Blender on an AMD system. The Noise will be bearable. I'm looking at an NForce2 chipset and I haven't decided on a Video card. Definitely atleast 64 maybe even 128. 512 of ram is generally enough for this software? That is good to know I was expecting 1 gig minimun. How about operating systems? XP professional is ok? Well I'll keep checking back for more input. So far it has bee helpful.

THanks.

djphotoduck

Post by djphotoduck » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:58 pm

I'm not sure what is meant by AMD systems being noisy. I have a dual AMD system and I can barely hear any noise from it (That includes noise from the fans on my case). Maybe they are refering to pre-built systems. I put my system together myself so I chose quite fans.

Blender runs great (only sees one processor). I have had no issues with any version of blender 1.8 to current). I am running Windows XP pro and Red Hat Linux 9. Blender runs fine in both operating systems.

As far as RAM goes I got extra memory mainly for working with photos with the GIMP. I do a lot of photography so the extra memory helps when playing with large pictures.

System specs
2x AMD MP2400 processors
1 GB PC2100 DDR RAM
128 MB Geforce FX video suite card
A couple of hard drives
system sound

Dan

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:39 am

bjornmose wrote:
AMD = more bang for buck
yes more BANG !

most of the AMD boxes produce more noise than a dish washer

to be fair:
if you want a highest performace game box at lowest price you ' ll have loads of fan noise anyway so AMD is the choice

for a all day workstation ( multimedia box in the living room ) noise does matter.i know there are low noise fans for AMDs but still i prefer a "boxed" intel

BM
That is COMPLETE and utter bullshit. The noise a computer makes has nothing to do with what CPU it has, it is the cooling solution you have chosen. I work for a family-owned (not my family) computer store, and we sell custom computers, which 90% are AMD-based. The fans that come from AMD (retail package) are just as quiet as Intel fans.
I have worked with both and they both generate the same heat and have the same potential for noise (due to cooling sulutions).

This argument may have been viable 3 years ago, but AMD has been a top-quality product for some time.

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:17 am

sorry you'e absolutly right
i know that the CPU itself does not generate any noise
and my sympathy goes with AMD

but if i go to the supermarket and buy a 700 bucks AMD box its quite likly they build in a low quality fan.
i do not have the money to buy a hand crafted high tech box so i go for a mid class consumer PC.
finally i look at computers like i look at a microwaveoven : buy one and use it

BM

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:48 pm

lol well it's too bad that most places us OEM AMD CPUs, then they use loud fans, it's not really worth it because in Canada retail box AMD CPUs come with god fans, and a 3 year warranty.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:14 pm

heh the CPU itself probably does generate some noise,.. but our ears are probably not sensitive enough to hear it. :)

I believe it is true though that AMD cpu's use more power, thus produce more heat, does need better (and probably more noisy) cooling.
Though this may very well have changed since the last time I read up about it (that was still before the XP days).

Timothy

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:35 am

It has changed (the XP series and above is excellent), and as more and more "versions" of the P4 get released, they are using more power as well.

ox

Post by ox » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:51 pm

alright then! post the ideal blender poorman's dream box so the ox doesn't have to do more homework 8)

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:56 pm

Put up your maximum budget figure, and I'm sure someone will make a recommendation.