UK Blender User Group / Conference?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jonobacon

UK Blender User Group / Conference?

Post by jonobacon »

Hi all,

I am really getting into Blender at the moment and I have done my best to promote it here in the UK with my writing and things. Iw as just wonderinf firstly, how many UK users there are reading these forums, and are there any plans by anyone to runa Conference such as the Spanish one that is in the news now?

I don't know enough about Blender to organise an event such as this, but I would certainly be interested in attending one. :)

Anyone planning this?

Jono

adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Yea I'm up for the above,
There has been massive development in blender since going open source and it's catching up fast with the competition in all areas. I reckon in 12 months this will be an app to reckon with. The game/interactive development is crucial , having an app that covers modelling, stills. animation, film and interactive is really in the now.

London and Welsh border based.

Adrian.

jonobacon

Post by jonobacon »

I would be certainly interested in being part of a meet up. Maybe we could look at some dates.

I am based in Wolves which is not too far from the Welsh border - maybe Birmingham could be an area to meet as it is fairly central. I suppose we need to see if anyone else responds to this thread first. :D

Jono

kencanvey

Post by kencanvey »

It would be good to have a user group meeting, but I live the SE side of London, and Birmingham is just too far for me :( .

I suppose in the end it matters were everyone is, maybe there could be a poll an say Elysiun or here, just for UK users, to find out a majority location.

Ken :D

jonobacon

Post by jonobacon »

Thius all sounds cool. I like the idea of formulating a UK map - I will look into it and see if I can set something up on my site. We can then pick the best location.

Jono

PS - Any more UK users?

dmoc

Post by dmoc »

NE London. And youself Jono?

jonobacon

Post by jonobacon »

Oops sorry - I am based in wolverhampton. If there are a stack of Blender users in London, it might be an idea to do something down there. I just think it would be cool to have a bunch of talks/tutorials and the like one day. In the evening we could all go out and get drunk, I mean, drink sensibly. ;)

I am currently working on getting a map sorted out to find out where Blender users are from in the UK.

Jono

sedgetone

Post by sedgetone »

I'm in London too, SE9. :)

to_mad

Post by to_mad »

Hi Jono

I'm based in Birmingham, also. I am not very good at Blending yet, just don't get the time. Anyway try posting at elysiun.

I'm guessing you are the same same chap who writes sometimes for Linux Format. If so keep up the good work.

Regards

to_mad

jonobacon

Post by jonobacon »

Yep I do write for Linux Format. Keep your eyes peeled this month for a Blender competition. It is the last part of my Blender series in the magazine.

I think we definitly need to arrange some sort of UK Blender meeting. It would be great to meet up with other Blenderheads. It does seem though that many people are further south.

gnomis

Post by gnomis »

Hi Jono,

I'd be interested too I'm no coder but an artist with a particular interest in using Blender in education and promoting its use.

Simon

jonobacon

Post by jonobacon »

This all sounds cool. I have a few dealines to get out of the way over the next few weeks, but then I will really get a list of UK blender people together and we can all have a meet sometime. :D

Jono