My First Blender Software Problem

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

JA-forreal

My First Blender Software Problem

Post by JA-forreal »

I have been using Blender for a while. Blender has always seemed to stay clear of any of my Windows 2000 system wide problems. But since I installed Blender 2.30 I have had a problem with the way Blender saves files. I don't know what method Blender uses to handle the way it saves files under Windows but it seems that there is a problem with this process. All of my Blender files are saved as this type of file- RIGTOP~2a.BLE. The file names are automatically abbreviated somehow with ~ in-between. I have attempted to alter the way a Blender file is used on my system by using a suggested file extension- blender.exe "%1" with no success. Can someone explain to me why this kind of problem would occur in Blender on a Windows 2000 system? Thanks.

Also I have had corrupted files that have objects with armatures in Blender 2.31. Then I can't acccess the Bones, mesh or material buttons.
This is also a new problem.

OTO

Post by OTO »

Hello

until a windows guru answer you, here's my idea (I use Linux)
It looks more like a Windows problem, it looks like the files are saved in DOS format ( 8 characters only), check the system settings maybe
Bye

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

OTO wrote:Hello

until a windows guru answer you, here's my idea (I use Linux)
It looks more like a Windows problem, it looks like the files are saved in DOS format ( 8 characters only), check the system settings maybe
Bye
Almost there buddy. I will make the switch in 2004! For Blender anyway. My other software still has to live in Windows. When I found out how easy it is ro install a rpm file in KDS I was hooked. I plan to dual boot with windows 2000. But I haven't figured out a Linux setup that will work with NTFS drives. I have to get to the root of this file problem. It's messing with me. Thanks for the tip.

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

AhHa! I found a link for Windows XP that may help me out. But I have to decode it's meaning first. -

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treevi ... l_rbrx.asp

It looks like my problem in any case. Agrhhhhhhhh!

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

OTO wrote:Hello

(I use Linux)
Bye
So OTO are you saying that Linux doesn't let software alter your core system settings and leave you with a mess like the one that I'm dealing with now in Windows 2000? Cool!

lusque

Post by lusque »

Hi,
I have the same problem but on WindowsXP:

I double-click on a blend file, it opens Blender 2.31a, I work the file then hit CTRL-W or F2 to save it, but it is renamed something like E:\HOME\BLENDER~2\project\045363~1.BLE (Yes, even the directory!!!)

I work around at this by renaming the file in the save dialog, then if I CTRL-W or F2 again Blender shows me the correct name. I saw the problem only if I open a file by double-clicking on a icon. If I first fire up Blender, then open a file with F1 and then save it, Blender works the correct way. So I thought that was just a little bug (not very annoing) in the way Blender interfaces with the Window's file system. Am I wrong? :?

P.S.: sorry for my bad english

Mats78

Post by Mats78 »

Make sure you use NTFS file systems. Seems to me the older FAT looks exactly like you're describing.

cheers and good luck,
mats

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

I have no idea why you guys are having problems, I've never had a problem using Windows 2000 with FAT partitions, I'm using Ton's latest version (CVS from the 16th of dec this year) and just tried saving a file, no problems whatsoever.

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

lusque wrote:Hi,
I have the same problem but on WindowsXP:

I work around at this by renaming the file in the save dialog, then if I CTRL-W or F2 again Blender shows me the correct name. I saw the problem only if I open a file by double-clicking on a icon. If I first fire up Blender, then open a file with F1 and then save it, Blender works the correct way. So I thought that was just a little bug (not very annoing) in the way Blender interfaces with the Window's file system. Am I wrong? :?
Thanks! I know that some utility software is the cause of my troubles. I use NTFS on my harddrives.

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

I loaded Blender 2.31a on someone else’s machine running XP. I get the same problem. It has a totally different XP NT system with a FAT32 setup. The machine doesn't have any of the utilities that I have on my NTFS win 2000 system. I can run any older versions of Blender like 2.25 without this file problem. So maybe there is a problem with the way Blender handles Blend files on some Windows 2000 and XP machines. Maybe this is something that the coders of the Windows Builds should look into?

dreamsgate

Post by dreamsgate »

ja-forreal: I recently noticed the same problem (XP home edition) since I loaded 2.31a. But mine only happenes sporadically. I thiought my machine was just arbitrarily rearranging the file names. But if I always use F2 to save it seems to stop it from happening.l

Blendorphin

Post by Blendorphin »

this happens to me sometimes, but only if i open a blender file off of a cd, and then save it from blender to a different location (instead of copying the file from the cd in widows)

i also have winxp home edition.

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

I installed Blender 2.28c. It handles the files normally without this file strangeness in my machine. This problem on my machine and the other computers running Windows 2000 or xp seems to show up in Blender versions 2.30 and beyond.

Leafw

Post by Leafw »

Although kindda out of topic, JA-forreal, you can install linux on your system without touching one bit of your hard drive by simply installing a slave hard drive. They are quite affordable nowadays. Then simply tell lilo or grub to look for the Windows on one drive and linux on the other.

Even easier, some install disks like mandrake's enable you to resize NTFS partitions, so you may after partitioning quit the installation and setup the linux distro of your choice.

Albert

JA-forreal

Post by JA-forreal »

Leafw wrote:Although kindda out of topic, JA-forreal, you can install linux on your system without touching one bit of your hard drive by simply installing a slave hard drive. They are quite affordable nowadays. Then simply tell lilo or grub to look for the Windows on one drive and linux on the other.

Even easier, some install disks like mandrake's enable you to resize NTFS partitions, so you may after partitioning quit the installation and setup the linux distro of your choice.

Albert
My original problem with Blender 2.31 in WIndows 2k cleared up with 2.32 and beyond. Yeah Linux never had this problem. Now we are on 2.34 and things are better than great all around.

Blend on!