Some features Requested

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tonybam

Some features Requested

Post by tonybam » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 pm

I dont know if its the right place for this post. if not then please move it to proper place.

I was a user for Maya primarly for architectural modelling and rendering for the last 10 years. Now I opened my own small studio. So I started to use blender. A real thanks for the guys who have been created such a great software. I really feel bad that I didnt use blender before. Now for the last 6 months all our work is done only in blender.

However there are some features I would like to add in blender to speedup the workflow:

-Multiple Objects editing.
Many time we need to change the heights of architectural features such as windows and doors. And to do that 1 by 1 is real time consuming process and its NOT always good to join multiple objects such as walls, mullions, Glass, frame etc.

-Adding new object should have the values added to its modifier as well so that we can change things later. eg: adding a UV sphere should have the segments values added to the modifier also so that we can change those anytime.

-Better UV cube mapping. Proper Size. the scale value should be the same as blender units

-Also the cube, cylinder, sphere mapping should be added to modifier with dummy objects for reference.

-Better Node editor for material where we can better organize shaders and create material Libraries.

-Should have a window where all the materials are listed and Ability to connect nodes between different materials.

-Better support for curves. Also the tools like spin and loft should be added to the curves.

-Should be able to draw curves interactively as in inkscape.

-Polar array modifier.

-Ability to Save selected objects into new file.

-Extrude along normals

-Better support for smoothing normals without the use of edgesplit modifier.

-Update dxf import. Very important for me to support newer version of dxf files.

-Ability to select objects in modifiers by clicking in 3d view, eg: When using Boolean modifier, instead of selecting the objects from name list, we should also be able to select directly in viewport. Maybe a small button next to selection list for picking objects in viewport.

dingding231

Some suggestions

Post by dingding231 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 pm

I would like to see import support for fbx

CoDEmanX

Post by CoDEmanX » Thu May 30, 2013 1:24 am

Multiple Objects editing.
- According to Ton on TODO, but no schedule.

Adding new object should have the values added to its modifier
- there's already a proposal on wiki, but not sure if it will ever make it, since this goes sort of into volume-based modelling (which blender doesn't)

Better Node editor for material
- is that old BI nodes or cycles nodes?

Better support for curves.
- "better"???

Should be able to draw curves interactively as in inkscape.
- Extrude a point and you'll see it update in realtime?!

Extrude along normals
- That already exists afaik

Better support for smoothing normals without the use of edgesplit modifier.
- A community member worked on vertex normal editing, but won't continue nor does it work properly together with modifiers etc., there's also no GSoC project this year about normal editing (which i hoped) :(

Ability to select objects in modifiers by clicking in 3d view
- Yeah, that 2.4x feature should be added again
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...